Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted

My focus over the last few runs for the mid to longer term is the arctic high and the extremely cold uppers to the far north east...IF we are to get a Very Cold spell then I would imagine this is where it may come from....Last few runs has it inching south and westwards..

ECMOPEU00_168_1-6.png

ECMOPEU00_168_2.png

• Like 3

ECM now pretty much moved 100% to yesterdays UKMO

- no deep bowling ball low, just a system that skirts the SW with a small frontal push over England - then cold winds again behind-

Channel low modelled Further south on the 00zs

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Beast from the east lurking at the latter frames of ECM? Extremely cold air building  towards the North East.Is this what the Met are thinking about when they mention very cold air possibly arriving in Febuary.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Bit of a no man's land on EC at 216 hrs.nice area of heights to the north and as mentioned arctic high lurking also.hopeing for an uptick in the mo today and something to set up next week ie very wintry!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

ECM looking good for the outlook,  not to sure about the GFS

Jokes aside I'm happy with how things are looking so far... ❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

20190127_065557.png

20190127_061041.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
14 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

UKMO 72 PPN is slower than yesterday

midnight weds

59912F28-0DA3-4A1B-9FAF-F94A8EBBCCF2.thumb.jpeg.01b48ef464f908e0ccfacaeedf0f108a.jpeg

If it played out like that then there maybe a few more in the game.  Wind direction being important and intensity of precipitation  midnight Tuesday? Not Wednesday.

6F51A9AB-B1BA-408E-B5AC-CE94C1F81E53.png

52DDFC4B-CE17-4284-8EBF-07F27AA19ADD.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
6 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Beast from the east lurking at the latter frames of ECM? Extremely cold air building  towards the North East.Is this what the Met are thinking about when they mention very cold air possibly arriving in Febuary.

We’ve been chasing the BFTE for what seems like all winter, but to be honest we are looking as far away from one as we’ve been all winter as the ensembles spreads and means, particularly EPS, have indicating it turning milder after next weekend as pressure builds across SW Europe while low pressure moves in close to the west. We may have to wait until mid-February until the next chance of easterlies, perhaps when we start seeing the Canadian TPV imprint on the Atlantic weaken to allow a -NAO and more favourable MJO forcing to work on the upper patterns.

Still, looking cold throughout the coming week, with risks of some organised snow events, Tuesday across the south then Thurs/Fri the Midlands and N Wales northwards.

• Like 5

Even with decent positioning of the lows this week I’m not convinced that there’s enough cold entangled in these systems to bring snow down the south. Unless you live on the south coast you’ll never understand how difficult it is to get snow to fall let alone lay - 5yrs plus is not uncommon. These lows need to follow a specific path for anything white, we don’t want the warm sectors pushing inland and need a the systems to stall really somewhat in the channel to ensure a flow slightly north of east. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Minus 5 850s doing it here atm and 2 degrees, so no need for ultra cold in these lows forecast this week.

Screenshot_20190127-071712_Chrome.jpg

20190127_070323.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Even with decent positioning of the lows this week I’m not convinced that there’s enough cold entangled in these systems to bring snow down the south. Unless you live on the south coast you’ll never understand how difficult it is to get snow to fall let alone lay - 5yrs plus is not uncommon. These lows need to follow a specific path for anything white, we don’t want the warm sectors pushing inland and need a the systems to stall really somewhat in the channel to ensure a flow slightly north of east. 

We benefit in other ways because of where we live. I’m trying to work out how far inland I will need to drive on Wednesday with my daughter and our sledge

Posted

It’s like musical chairs !

The UKMO jumps off and the ECM jumps on!

The latter is by far the best of the big 3 re the low later in the week. The Channel low is playing out in typical dramatic fashion with no agreement yet. Looking at the fax chart is even more complicated .

Even though the low is centred sw of Paris a front is thrown ne ahead of it which lies close to the se towards Kent .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

We benefit in other ways because of where we live. I’m trying to work out how far inland I will need to drive on Wednesday with my daughter and our sledge

I feel like you could get snow if you're lucky but if may be very marginal for the south coast. Thankfully here in Essex I'm just about north of the m4 albeit still on a coastline... It's going to go right down to the wire 

Posted

Winds have to stay off shore if you live on the South Coast,any  sudden onshore flow and any snow will quickly turn to rain and melt fast ,trust me i’ve seen that happen countless times before

Unless the flow is from a bitter continent ,which keeps the air dry,like in jan2013 but it isn’t this week.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 3

Posted
57 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its a huge upgrade widely!!

Million miles better than UKMET - which has been flapping around like Rod and emu !!

Its a downgrade for northern England in terms of snow from that low later in the week though. Seen the eCM preciptation charts. Swings and roundabouts, what you gain with one hand, you could lose out on somehing else with the other.  That's the problem with these scenarios, You want to stay in the cold air for longer but if you want the snow, you have to roll the dice and take the risk at the end of being south of the front. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Oh absolutely, summer is amazing! While parts up north can struggling in double figures it can be 25c down here. But it’s a hard old slog getting the white stuff down here. Given uncertainties I think both low will nowcasting situations for almost all involved along their path.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Its a downgrade for northern England in terms of snow from that low later in the week though. Seen the eCM preciptation charts. Swings and roundabouts, what you gain with one hand, you could lose out on somehing else with the other.  That's the problem with these scenarios, You want to stay in the cold air for longer but if you want the snow, you have to roll the dice and take the risk at the end of being south of the front. 

Aye, yes i have looked at them Kevin, think we should see some snow showers tues- thur though in our region..

TBH wrt the front, there will be the dreaded rain shadow for us anyway.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

Winds have to stay off shore if you live on the South Coast,any  sudden onshore flow and any snow will quickly turn to rain and melt fast ,trust me i’ve seen that happen countless times before

Yes not the depth of cold there to compensate for that sea modification . So it’s possible precip will start as rain on the coast before the low clears further east . I think coastal areas will need that switch round in the wind towards a ne n after it’s headed further east .

Unfortunately there’s no agreement on the low , some shorter range don’t even develop it at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Unless the flow is from a bitter continent ,which keeps the air dry,like in jan2013 but it isn’t this week.

Even last march with -14c uppers in place  the warm sector nudged in bring a huge temp increase aloft and gave rain within a couple hours of the snow starting. Only the stubbornly cold boundary layer saved us then, if you can call it that and turned it to freezing rain so wouldn’t be surprised to see all rain this week. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Even last march with -14c uppers in place  the warm sector nudged in bring a huge temp increase aloft and gave rain within a couple hours of the snow starting. Only the stubbornly cold boundary layer saved us then, if you can call it that and turned it to freezing rain so wouldn’t be surprised to see all rain this week. 

Best discuss this in the regional. Some places are going to get some snow and good luck to them

Posted

T+72 fax for 00z Weds shows that although the low is quite a way south over N France, fronts associated with cold air moving in behind the low from the NW and less cold air wrapping around the lows northern flank still give decent snow potential for southern England. Also winds are normally lighter on the northern flank of lows, so that will aid in less mixing out too.

914A5A97-6638-4BC2-B5D1-0270898B4563.thumb.gif.030441c50a1b79392d4919bf4d0d9027.gif

Not going comment in too much detail wrt Thursday’s low as still some differences with how far north the snow / rain boundary will move, but 00z EC look furthest south looking at precipitation and -5C 850s line

FFF89020-F936-4763-89C5-7BBB5256AF0C.thumb.jpeg.fc1393548d00a9c13b77ac38705d743c.jpeg7E5DD90E-F8BC-4C6B-AA88-B7D0BB90A546.thumb.jpeg.402ec5bd65b2285f189702e457e55a46.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1