Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

You’ll have to forgive the southerners ...

not often they see a channel low showing within 72 hours!  

My snow line not adjusted  ........ stick with derby across to stoke and n Wales  for now. 

Is the last bit in relation to the low / snow line  on Thursday? What’s your gut feeling re northern extent Tuesday ? 

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

You’ll have to forgive the southerners ...

not often they see a channel low showing within 72 hours!  

My snow line not adjusted  ........ stick with derby across to stoke and n Wales  for now. 

14 miles south would be cool!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

14 miles south would be cool!

I thought he was talking about the northern extent of Tuesday low?

Posted
26 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

About twenty past nine when icon takes the low through Paris .......

At least it might slow the riots a bit 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TomW said:

Is meteociel slow for anyone?

Yes, I’ve been hitting refresh on the 18z for 10 mins and it hasn’t even started for me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

At least it might slow the riots a bit 

Good call by BA .think it's on course!!!lol

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

anim_kkb3.gif

Posted

Not much change on the ICON.

Precipitation from the low goes through southern counties of England while a frontal system push east across Wales and the rest of England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Not much change on the ICON.

Precipitation from the low goes through southern counties of England while a frontal system push east across Wales and the rest of England.

A few frames later and the next slider doesn't seem to phased as much with the low to the North of the UK, hinting possibly at a slightly shallower low on Thursday.

Posted

I think a complication for the Channel Low for coastal areas is the flow .

So at the start that’s likely to be onshore from the se . It could be that it’s not until the low moves further east and the flow then moves towards a more ene to ne flow that colder dew points pulled sw from inland change that over to snow .

Theres not the depth of cold to avoid that marginality . Of course the track is still subject to change and if it does verify still a lot more runs needed .

Putting that aside at day 4 a much better shape to the next low moving se on the ICON 18 hrs . If that shortwave in the North Sea could get lost this would look very interesting .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The ICON has taken a similar path to the UKMO where the low swims the channel then lifts NE towards Kent...

D6792F4C-2469-4C9D-9ECD-BF83B3AEE7E6.thumb.png.8609cbe2d3a46ee835be617355bd613d.png

A dumping for you? - elevation will be key.

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Is the last bit in relation to the low / snow line  on Thursday? What’s your gut feeling re northern extent Tuesday ? 

Thursday

20 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

I thought he was talking about the northern extent of Tuesday low?

Nope - I won’t call on that. My instinct tells me that it won’t get north of the capital .....and i suspect it won’t be snowmageddon away from elevation in any case ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Can’t help but think you may end up having to batten down the hatches yet @nick sussex 

These lows formed through RACY are often unusual in their tracking (deepening and not pulling NW) and intensity (severe) on the south western flanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

The ICON has taken a similar path to the UKMO where the low swims the channel then lifts NE towards Kent...

D6792F4C-2469-4C9D-9ECD-BF83B3AEE7E6.thumb.png.8609cbe2d3a46ee835be617355bd613d.png

And as we see every time this kind of event approaches the uppers are modelled differently to the previous run. Most recent ICON has better uppers = less marginality.

This will end up being a nowcast event right up to 6h....and I hope everyone's feet are firmly planted. Try and be pleasantly surprised if you get a good covering through Tuesday as this increases the fun. Don't be surprised if uppers are too high and the air in France not cold enough to modify it sufficiently to make the required difference. Some will be lucky I think, but I continue to think that more will miss out.

We will see. I would be delighted to be proven overly conservative....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Lovely ICON this evening, Thursdays low close to sliding on this run.

icon-0-114.png

icon-1-114.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, s4lancia said:

Can’t help but think you may end up having to batten down the hatches yet @nick sussex 

These lows formed through RACY are often unusual in their tracking (deepening and not pulling NW) and intensity (severe) on the south western flanks

At the moment I’m far enough south to avoid too much drama . I’d much rather though the low just shifted north to produce the goods re snow for you guys .

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Catacol said:

And as we see every time this kind of event approaches the uppers are modelled differently to the previous run. Most recent ICON has better uppers = less marginality.

This will end up being a nowcast event right up to 6h....and I hope everyone's feet are firmly planted. Try and be pleasantly surprised if you get a good covering through Tuesday as this increases the fun. Don't be surprised if uppers are too high and the air in France not cold enough to modify it sufficiently to make the required difference. Some will be lucky I think, but I continue to think that more will miss out.

We will see. I would be delighted to be proven overly conservative....

Totally agree with all of that. Moreso my location for example. There will be a very narrow margin of error that makes anything other than a bit of backedge snow unlikely for me. But nice still to know there is a chance at least!

• Like 1

Posted

Is there a chance of a week like early February 2009? Several 'sliders' brought snow events that briefly melted in between but also built up accumulations such that by the end of the week it was a significant amount. Admittedly that started on a Monday with an Easterly and powdery snow before the first 'slider' occurred.

• Like 2