Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Another consistent run from the FV3, always stalls  at T78, but that is enough to confines support for the channel low!

image.thumb.jpg.5c61482eccde97a2d6bd5f9a895ff7c8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.830e3b250f69389610d00b18cd371a4b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.37a9ef8a8fe0b2b0673c9f75e539afac.jpg

would love to count this one down to T0!

Posted

GFS P really is going for it.

image.thumb.png.a17c481add1bfdcb9ba034a3e631b464.png

These set ups are rare, but when they occur can really produce for Southern areas. This puts even the midlands/Wales into the picture.

There would be a transition to rain for a time across the far SW and Southern Coasts as there is a small warm sector (uppers reach near 0c just off the IOW). But wouldn't be too long before snowfall returns. Brilliant run and a good trend.

Posted
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

GFSP has the low maybe 50 miles further south than on the previous run. Still snow for all of England and Wales.

I think its just a touch smaller/weaker than the 06z run, other than that its in an identical place more or less.

IF the 12z para would come off, somewhere on the downs would be getting a 1ft, I'm fairly sure of that.

Dean E, I don't know if you have lived in Chichester since at least 2010 but I went uni down there. I remember there was a kind of 'reverse' channel low on I think the 1/2nd of December which gave the area 8-9 inches of snowfall. I remember sticking a glass out there and the glass was gone in the morning. This looks like a similar but more classic version, at least on the GFSP.

Edited by kold weather

5 hours ago, snowbob said:

Quick question if it did pull away into France would that drag down colder uppers

Yes it would but the track needs to be SE not South -

SE allows for ENE winds where as a southerly track could be ESE winds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
12 minutes ago, TomW said:

gfs-2-78.png?12

Boom:bomb:

Looks like rain in my region on that!

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

I think its just a touch smaller/weaker than the 06z run, other than that its in an identical place more or less.

IF the 12z para would come off, somewhere on the downs would be getting a 1ft, I'm fairly sure of that.

Northern extent of the precipitation field is slightly further south. That small shunt south would make things less marginal for the far south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 24 degrees clear skies in summer, -24 degrees clear skies in winter
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Wheres the Nuclear boom Gif?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Posted

What a complex and fascinating, yet extremely stressful time to be a weather enthusiast aye! Have to feel it’s a key ECM coming up, need to see it trend away from that dirge it put our this morning, but to be honest nothing will be resolved until tomorrow at the earliest, the smallest of shifts make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Posted

GFS ensembles are ALOT weaker with Tuesday's low, most don't do anything with it on this run! They also nearly all dive it through France as well.

So the uncertainty continues, just as more global/high resolution jumps on board, the GFS ensembles jumps off!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Updated_Weather said:

You didn't hear about the snow dome?;)

If only it was built yet!  Ive seen numerous runs where it leaves out the exact same patch over the last few days!  madness! 

Posted

Comparing the GFSP and UKMO, they have Tuesday's low tracking at a similar latitude. The UKMO ever so slightly further south and ever so slightly shallower. I imagine then that the UKMO too would bring precipitation (snow?) for most if not all of England and Wales.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thats because its the same chart

Doh! They were so similar it’s easy to get confused! Try this...

8853AF21-5B96-4344-9075-C7452338107E.png

E44835C4-18D6-4E6C-9E68-9733F4C1266C.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

An initial hour or 2 of rain followed by a short transition then ~4-6 hours of snow...

Ireland should benefit either way Steve? The low pushing south draws in more cold air then we watch for sliders? Enough cold air out west to generate snow from the low moving through if further north?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

delete

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thats better

Its out now - the P 84

F5AFB315-CDDC-499B-9AD0-7D214FF00D0F.thumb.png.e6580746ada53105c1267302c7ad7d21.png

What’s that backedge rain all about?edit  actually not there on the uk res

44FBA2BD-208D-4C65-861C-21160CD3A697.thumb.jpeg.1e8ed62c8082a7326d3c06b80db203cf.jpeg

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Thats better

Its out now - the P 84

F5AFB315-CDDC-499B-9AD0-7D214FF00D0F.thumb.png.e6580746ada53105c1267302c7ad7d21.png

Back edge heavy rain? :cc_confused:

EDIT: Hmm still snow on the UK region hi res

Edited by nicktabs

Posted

Ok so some of the GFS ensembles instead focus the energy on a 2nd low which dives a little further to the south  into France. Others just lose it.

I'd say only 4/5 of the runs look like the UKMO/GFSP/GEM/ICON solution Looks like the GFs is having another one of its LP issues it occasionally has.

However as I said earlier, all options are on the table.

• Thanks 1