Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, IDO said:

Yes, at this range, getting the right synoptic is more important than what the models say viz snow. 

Just need this to be consolidated going forward.

If the Tuesday low goes further north then snow for Midlands/north?

If it sinks towards Biscay, maybe more hope for Thursday's low to track more SE and we lose the snow?

Take your pick.

Possible that Tuesday can stay the same and then Thursdays can sink south a bit bringing the south into the game again? Surely?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Get the feeling it's going to be busy in here today.  But don't overlook this at T42:

image.thumb.jpg.71d55adc836fe3035c8aad9e27c46e61.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.097b28f8e18dbba85bdb20f1d52e8552.jpg

Cold enough for some snow showers into early Monday morning?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

With the best will in the world, those are trash. It also didn't have anything for last Tuesday trough, not even snow...and indeed that was rather poor to say the least given what some people got. So don't take that verbatim is what I'd say based on previous experiences.

Well it’s not going to verify like that so that’s the main reason it would be ‘trash’ ! 

attemptimg to keep some feet on the ground ............fwiw, I have absolutely no expectation of decent snow cover this week for the north Home Counties .......hopefully I will be wrong but I see nothing currently to make me think different 

still happy with my n midlands call but wondering if I might have to adjust back north later on this evening .......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Well it’s not going to verify like that so that’s the main reason it would be ‘trash’ ! 

attemptimg to keep some feet on the ground ............fwiw, I have absolutely no expectation of decent snow cover this week for the north Home Counties .......hopefully I will be wrong but I see nothing currently to make me think different 

still happy with my n midlands call but wondering if I might have to adjust back north later on this evening .......

I agree with you on Thursday's low, but I'm going for the big call for Tuesday and I think the more extreme end of the northern/stronger batch will come in...though I'm sure the GFS will do its best to prove me wrong tonight!!

History would say nothing much would come from Tuesday, but ever since Thursday I've had a feeling this low may develop more than was expected and more and more models/ensembles are jumping on it now, at least to some extent.

ps, that does sound rather hopecasty I'll admit, its more based on what has happened to recent lows that have trended stronger/north within the medium term, the low this weekend for example has gotten progressively stronger over the last few days worth of models.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
19 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

With some snow cover, the right timing, and cold air in place, we have a shot

Yes - a shot. But still unlikely because all of those things have to come together.

Posted
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

Arpege goes snow crazy across england at 72 hours!!

Does it?

arpegeuk-45-72-0.png?26-12

Posted
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

Arpege goes snow crazy across england at 72 hours!!

That is kinda the thing that I am expecting to happen. The high resolution models may clock a stronger low better due to the better resolution, but may actually overdo the precipitation, but its within the range of options.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
1 minute ago, Chris. said:

Does it?

That 6Z not 12Z.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
2 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Does it?

If you're going to be smart, at least show the charts for late-tuesday, early wednesday...the period where the snow moves through...and the right run!

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

UKMO 96

BD39289E-799C-4C08-95B2-0B196BFD8E08.thumb.png.a9aabc46f9ae3579a493fd079701948f.png

Good enough from the UKMO as well, not too severe but would bring a period of snow for sure.

GFS still going weaker as well and thus further SE. We will see what the ensembles say on the 12z, as well as the para.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

UKMO T96, looks like the low has taken a channel track (T72 not out yet), decent I would suggest...

image.thumb.jpg.7e4dd5cef78c62d28dfb0c332f82ea53.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Whilst the feature at T72 on GFS 12z is a lot shallower this run compared to ICON 12z, it helps pep up the snow showers running across England so even these could be heavy and widespread.

• Like 1

Posted

Tuesday's low only scrapes the far south west on the GFS. However, it has a lot of snow showers moving west to east across the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

UKMO T96, looks like he low has taken a channel track (T72 not out yet), decent I would suggest...

image.thumb.jpg.7e4dd5cef78c62d28dfb0c332f82ea53.jpg

It’s out and that is what it does.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Tuesday's low only scrapes the far south west on the GFS. However, it has a lot of snow showers moving west to east across the UK.

Yeah it is much weaker then the UKMO/ICON/ARGPE. I wouldn't rule it out being right either, even though that's not what I personally think.

until it forms tomorrow I'd suggest not getting hung up on the run-run of what that low does.

Edited by kold weather