Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

GFSp keeps the dream alive for the far south on Tues night 

79A102E4-240F-4285-91E3-E9EF54E996B2.png

6AFE2038-78C3-4B2F-9C04-F1D1DB8AB8B6.png

As I said, this maybe the one to watch, especially as the low this weekend has gradually been getting deeper/further north with time.

I'd say around 80% of the ensembles broadly look like the OP run. Not quite full agreement but getting closer in terms of the general evolution being for the low to become larger and more circular and to move somewhere close to the UK whilst drawing up milder WSW air.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

cfs-0-450.thumb.png.b01289971ef00616943f979effeb4719.pngGet in there!...CFS says yes for deep cold in mid-February lol! - I'll chew my hand off if that happens.

• Like 6

Posted

Gfsp doesn’t develop the low and it is absorbed into the base of the cold trough - no mixing out of low uppers north of the channel ....that’s a low percentage eps cluster option 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

GFSp is a beauty for next week. I wish they had pulled the plug on the old GFS as this place would be much cherier this evening! 

42F68418-D558-4669-9F2B-F548E6446FE3.png

Isn't gfsp meant to be better than gfs anyway ?

• Like 2

Posted

Hands up as an amateur who watches these out of morbid fascination and mild addiction. Any experts around?

Regards Tuesday. Am I right in thinking that we have a potential low pressure affecting Scotland and Northern England and a separate low pressure system with the potential to affect Southern England? Both able to bring snow, is it possible that these two low pressures could merge and if so would that intensify the amount of wind and precipitation associated with them? What is the realistic likelihood of something like that happening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

GFSp keeps the dream alive for the far south on Tues night 

79A102E4-240F-4285-91E3-E9EF54E996B2.png

6AFE2038-78C3-4B2F-9C04-F1D1DB8AB8B6.png

hopeless for me! Good job these charts are hopeless too

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Then the ECM  switches lol..

If that happens then I will be very happy indeed. I highly doubt it will, but you can hope I suppose!

Anyway ensembles are looking pretty snowy now for Tuesday for the southern half of the country.

Ensembles have a little more in the way of transient snow than the 06z suite did as well before the milder air comes in on Tuesday. Not great, but its something.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Fancy people now cherry picking the GFS/P - as mentioned the old GFS needs to go in the skip, it just gives peeps on here one less model to get excited or cheesed off about

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Gfsp doesn’t develop the low and it is absorbed into the base of the cold trough - no mixing out of low uppers north of the channel ....that’s a low percentage eps cluster option 

The GFSP has been stubborn with this idea, almost as stubborn as the ECM has been with its idea.

As long as its holding onto it, I suppose it is still an option, however small the support is from other models.

It'd be a worrying sign to see it wrong, especially as its so out of kilter, but every model has to have a win at some point, this would be a grand place to start!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Southern England looks to be in the game possible heavy snowfall Tuesday evening the trend is definitely there I expect more changes to come can’t seem to upload a pic..

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

cfs-0-450.thumb.png.b01289971ef00616943f979effeb4719.pngGet in there!...CFS says yes for deep cold in mid-February lol! - I'll chew my hand off if that happens.

and i'll chew your other one off if it does

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Southern England looks to be in the game possible heavy snowfall Tuesday evening the trend is definitely there I expect more changes to come can’t seem to upload a pic..

Some snow chances for EA & SE, Sunday night, too: image.thumb.png.15a3428fce26b22b256e9407b9666856.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Something isn’t right 

C7CF404D-0266-40E2-B82E-EA960FC2BD3E.thumb.jpeg.e395cf41681b5a8cc336148c7ccc4d10.jpeg

Your graph shows jan 2019 but the dates along the bottom look wrong

Posted

Quite a few of the ensembles are really bringing in significant disruptive snowfall into the south on Tuesday evening. A few ensembles nudging it a little further north as well. Really feel this maybe more of a story than the 2nd low at this rate.

Hard to eyeball it, but based on liquid amounts converted to snowfall, several runs show something between 9-12 inches, and the rest are in the 3-6 type range, but as I said that is only a very rough estimate.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Was just going through the ensembles, not great to be honest was hoping for better, that low looks absolutely nailed on to blow up now unfortunately; potentially prospects for some before that but the chase for cold proper continues, NH profile looking increasingly good, but noticed a few reforming that vortex in Greenland again... 

Onto the ECM

• Like 1

Posted

the low hasnt even devieloped yet

but winter is over and this week is dead lolol

its no good for the south its going to go into france 

lol its going north

Edited by Lampostwatcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

FV3 still going strong for the cold for UK at T192. So that's several days from Tuesday now.

image.thumb.jpg.1c2e4489d2c102cf1714d3655b252f71.jpgtimage.thumb.jpg.6df17b58a90711c86a19b333f6fe69a5.jpg

And the model has actually been pretty consistent, well more so than the others, yes possibly consistently wrong but we'll see.  ECM next.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Lampostwatcher said:

the low hasnt even developed yet

So? You can't ignore the trends for it.. MetO are keeping a close eye, they run dozens of options. Yes we won't have nailed an exact track til Sunday/Monday.

All about trends at this stage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
36 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

NAO isn't that much of importance, if AO goes negative which looks likely.

We can still get very cold if NAO is postive to netural as long as the AO goes negative:)

The AO is destined for negative in the US but not sure about the NAO going negative. Here is the chart from Jan 19th showing that it would then really flipped to positive. If it was to go negative anytime soon then we would need this sort of flip again.

nao.sprd2.gif

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

the low hasnt even developed yet

Nope not yet.

First trace of energy I can find along the frontal boundary is coming off Mexico in to the Gulf on Saturday night, that energy works up the frontal boundary and creates the low pressure cell on Sunday daytime. Until that happens still could have anything happen.

Anyway GFS para has very little snow north of B'ham fwiw other than the odd trough feature coming into Scotland. C.S England ends with about 20cms.

Tight Isobar, its not even in the womb yet, its still just a gleam in the eye!!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 6