Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
3 minutes ago, P-M said:

Blue / Kold - you mention a snow line from Leeds across but nothing north or south of this?  As it stands is it just a line across the country in that area then?  I've read through the posts but can't seem to find one that tells me this so apologies in advance if this has already been explained. 

Broadly snow to the north, snow-rain to the south. But that line is kinda just a line in the sand, kind of a best guesstimate based on where things are right at the moment and there is plenty of scope still for large changes.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, P-M said:

That chart is the 9th Feb though?  Don't get me wrong I certainly don't know enough to make a judgement it just seems like pulling teeth sometimes.  Anyway I hold on to some hope that things will change soon and in the meantime listen to you all debate the wheres and what ifs.  

Blue / Kold - you mention a snow line from Leeds across but nothing north or south of this?  As it stands is it just a line across the country in that area then?  I've read through the posts but can't seem to find one that tells me this so apologies in advance if this has already been explained. 

the snow line is the point at which the snow begins. So north of that line would be snow out of any precipitation and south would be rain (as far as settling is concerned and away from elevation). It’s not a border fence either!  Some of you who were old enough to remember will recall travelling up/down the motorway in the seventies/eighties and seeing the green change to white ..... that ‘line’ was sometimes quite persistent over a week or two 

changjng the subject, Home Counties mean maxes are the highest for quite some time in the extended eps period 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Broadly snow to the north, snow-rain to the south. But that line is kinda just a line in the sand, kind of a best guesstimate based on where things are right at the moment and there is plenty of scope still for large changes.

1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

the snow line is the point at which the snow begins. So north of that line would be snow out of any precipitation and south would be rain (as far as settling is concerned and away from elevation). It’s not a border fence either!  Some of you who were old enough to remember will recall travelling up/down the motorway in the seventies/eighties and seeing the green change to white ..... that ‘line’ was sometimes quite persistent over a week or two 

changjng the subject, Home Counties mean maxes are the highest for quite some time in the extended eps period 

Thanks for explaining much appreciated   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
27 minutes ago, kold weather said:

plenty of scope still for

A fare point of view.

Although the part of your post ^^above..

Is atm an-understatement.

@poss- large scale changes...

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Trom said:

image.thumb.png.463c5ad3fbbaaa0644a25d65b27127de.pngInteresting height rises to the NE late in the GFS run (day 15 posted)

Could this finally be the impact of the SSW hitting the trop?  Will need to see if this sustains in future runs and whether it gains any cross model support once it comes into the ECM 10 day timeframe.  Thought it was worth posting given the reasonably bullish Met 6+ day forecast

I see charts like this and think 'wouldn't that be nice' then remember this time last week models had maxes for today generally around freezing or just above - its currently 14C, yes Fourteen degrees outside. Zero confidence in anything beyond 120hrs currently. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

the snow line is the point at which the snow begins.

Probably more apt to say the point at which the snow stops 

Posted
55 minutes ago, Stav said:

Sorry, I wouldn't. I don't see the point of a marginal snow even where everything disappears straight afterwards. Baan through them quite a few times - it is like instant, shallow gratification. I think in our hearts we all want an easterly set for a long time, with deep cold and regular snow.

I think people need to check out the MetO UKMO update, very interesting.. Still plugging the idea of very cold conditions and significant snow (at some point), fingers crossed.

But to me, it sounds quite simiar to last years Feb update.. We know what happened then!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Dr Amy Butler has also pointed out regarding the nagging positive NAO and residual PV where we don't want it. It's not unheard of to have a positive NAO with a sharply negative AO, as the two more often than not go hand in hand....but just terribly frustrating on our part. The pieces just won't fall right thais year - yet. Still a good 4-6 weeks to get something memorable.

• Like 1

Posted

If we have some Essex folk in here, you'll like Essex Weather's Tweet - "Last of the mild weather today/tomorrow, won't be seeing double digits until mid-feb at least!"

- They have now tweeted *potential* for disruptive snow Tuesday/Tuesday night. Models need to be watched closesly.

Edited by Updated_Weather
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

If we have some Essex folk in here, you'll like Essex Weather's Tweet - "Last of the mild weather today/tomorrow, won't be seeing double digits until mid-feb at least!"

im from Essex..dosent really say much as average for this time of year is 5-7c anyway..so not seeing double digits is hardly unusual for late Jan/early Feb

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

im from Essex..dosent really say much as average for this time of year is 5-7c anyway..so not seeing double digits is hardly unusual for late Jan/early Feb

It is since 2013.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I am aware, but it won't be average.. Pretty much below is expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

A lot of conflicting signals today.

ECM and GFS ensembles have quite strongly moved away from cold and snow for next week for much of England and instead have much more significant milder sectors with rain and a wintry mix more likely though a good snow event is still possible, especially further North

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

If you take ECM Op on face value it offers very little opportunity for anything but transient wintriness with temps generally around 4/5C for the South rising to closer to 8/9C at turn of month there is however a lot of scatter with some colder options but overall the mean has lifted significantly as more less cold options appear in the ensemble suite.

It all depends on the track of the lows and how much they slide/disrupt SE as to how much the cold air gets mixed out.

This is where things get tricky because the MetO update overnight was positive and promoted the idea we would stay on the cold side with lows taking a more Southerly track than this mornings output.

I can't see this afternoons update yet but it will be an interesting read.

The GFS 06z is more in line with that forecast and keeps more cold air in place than the ECM which would increase chances of snow to low levels across England.

Beyond all this uncertainty of rain/sleet/snow there is still a signal for more blocking later in Feb but we have seen that most of Winter and just get pushed back.

I truly though we would see a decent Atlantic ridge first week of Feb that would have us in cold NE flow and slow the mobility but that is looking unlikely so looks like we are relying on these lows to dive S and keep us on the cold side rather than blow up and bring in milder Westerlies as per ECM for the foreseeable.

Let's hope this evenings output move back toward a colder pattern, especially ECM and its ensembles.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Certainly worth keeping an eye on Tuesday night/Wednesday which has the potential to be the snowiest spell of the season so far. 

EC Det certainly at the more extreme end of possibilities 

EC1.thumb.png.7bd399ce8bd18df359c15b4248953742.pngEC2.thumb.png.4db8c9c2aec1b2628092be1c63dbeef0.png

GFS sends the low into France though forms a secondary low just to the SE of the region

GFS.thumb.png.dd202eaa5e776d4d3e06d4c5ba2eb276.png

UKMO similar to the GFS

France.thumb.gif.61defc8003a6f41b90693afd43ffa83c.gif

So the ECM on it's own with a fully developed low, however ICON has a similar track but as a shallower feature, this would probably be ideal for ensuring less warm sector and an all snow event 

ICO.thumb.jpg.89d5e8d80183087dedd742f7e01aa81f.jpgICO2.thumb.jpg.2fad60cd9a848cabb3c88ef96e852147.jpg

Certainly one to watch in the coming days!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I’m intrigued that the METO have included the lows directed towards the bay of biscay comment I’m not sure I’ve ever seen them put that in an update before, they must be getting a pretty strong signal between days 6-15 for them to say that IMO.

Looking at the models currently you’d be hard pressed to be that confident on that of where the lows are going, Key 12z model output coming up, got that feeling there might be a turn around soon.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

A decent watch...

And the middle ground looks favoured as per -met..thus the track form eyeball into northern france...but with top edge..perhaps disruptive snow..mid/southern eng..and mid/southern wales....a far cry..from the quotes via some!!..

With saying that still subject 2 change of course...

With anything the 2nd more likely of larger swathes..northwards joining in..

Some great viewing over the nxt few days...

Enjoy the ride.

Buckle up folks!

We begin the rollercoaster of a ride! Will it or won't it.

Also, regarding MetO cold weather alert which is at Level 2 for the UK, why isn't scotland included? Hm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Also, regarding MetO cold weather alert which is at Level 2 for the UK, why isn't scotland included? Hm.

Because the alerts are associated with Public Health England.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ICON 12z rolling.

I've not posted since last night, so what do I make of it all.  On the face of it 0z depressing (nothing new there), some promise in 6z runs, but I think all the models including ECM can't see the way forward.  

Taking all model runs, and comments by people on here, and factoring in the bullish Met Office forecasts for February, I find myself in the suddenly showing Scandi high camp now.  Think the Canadian vortex probably doesn't permit a Greenland high, and given 6 days into each model run the bits and pieces are in different places, as soon as there is a plausible evolution to a Scandi high, a model will eventually take it.  Will it be today? I don't know if it will happen at all, I just wouldn't be surprised if it is a scenario that does take hold today or tomorrow.

Edit much prefer ICON 12z T120 compared to 0z at T132, 12z first

image.thumb.jpg.b7e31ab1c12ffec2a0c67f834f4332c5.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.7c3f463bc25645d2c3602156e58bbc1a.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
14 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Buckle up folks!

We begin the rollercoaster of a ride! Will it or won't it.

Nothing to do with anyone else but England. 

Edit @Mapantz beat me to it.

1F7E54BF-7E5A-4A52-A005-239BB0CA4E0A.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1