Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
1 minute ago, Johnp said:

Parallel run looking lovely

gfseu-0-156_zhg1.png?6643

Yes it's much better than normal GFS

Big snow event incoming. 

Screenshot_20190123-232039.thumb.jpg.1b0f04e25ad909d220c26e8cf63243f1.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Yes the para looks brilliant.....and similar to the....................wait for it folks.............

THE JMA!:yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
4 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Yes it's much better than normal GFS

Big snow event incoming. 

Screenshot_20190123-232039.thumb.jpg.1b0f04e25ad909d220c26e8cf63243f1.jpg

I'll tell you what, it may be something or nothing but after the main GFS run disappointment that's a proper good chart to look at for 7 days time - 

image.thumb.png.41d5da557e6827263994bbf2dcd0a616.png

• Like 4

Posted

Ensembles still messy, but they look good upto 168hrs and then typically start to get worse.

As BA said, there is plenty of possibilities for the next 7 days on the models, but on a personal note I just can't get too excited knowing its going to give my location 0cms...and probably 0 flakes as well. There is plenty of potential, especially further north providing the low doesn't end up super north like the 18z GFS operational did!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I'll tell you what, it may be something or nothing but after the main GFS run disappointment that's a proper good chart to look at for 7 days time - 

image.thumb.png.41d5da557e6827263994bbf2dcd0a616.png

Im waiting for the 192 to say boom. 

But its taking ages, 

Slack flow.. 

Minus 8 uppers. 

Plenty of percipitation.

But it stays out in the channel. Haha. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Ensembles still messy, but they look good upto 168hrs and then typically start to get worse.

As BA said, there is plenty of possibilities for the next 7 days on the models, but on a personal note I just can't get too excited knowing its going to give my location 0cms...and probably 0 flakes as well. There is plenty of potential, especially further north providing the low doesn't end up super north like the 18z GFS operational did!

Why are you always so critical it’s not helpful? Think you were outright dismissing this week parts of capital had few CM, as for NW’ly never giving snow, seen snow come from Cheshire area many times, so your memory is likely lacking or selective. Anything can happen in weather but it certainly is not going to be mild. And that’s the foundation we need.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Why are you always so critical it’s not helpful? Think you were outright dismissing this week parts of capital had few CM, as for NW’ly never giving snow, seen snow come from Cheshire area many times, so your memory is likely lacking or selective. Anything can happen in weather but it certainly is not going to be mild. And that’s the foundation we need.

I've never seen snow from a NW, trust me, I'd remember if I had (I've been on here for 15 years, never happened to me, you must be lucky to be on the 'flight' path of a Chesire streamer then! They always used to miss me when I lived in Essex, though I often saw the convective cloud tops.

And no I never dismissed anything, indeed I said that the timing would be important and that the longer it lasted the better the chances for snow would be, especially in the east of the region. It was never really on for my region unfortunately due to it coming a little too early.

If I'm critical its only bwcause I know that plenty of areas are going to get snow, and I will get 0 from this set-up, call it jealousy I spose!

Then again Daniel, I do hope I wrong! Prove me wrong NW!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted

You know I misread the date on the model as January 2009! I've a feeling we could see a carbon copy of ten years ago. 

Posted

Screenshot_20190123-233759.thumb.jpg.5d61363f43a654d729f09b9b4d4a666c.jpg

Scandi? 

GFSP remains cold throughout. 

Plenty of snow chances for everyone. As Slack troughs traverse on a NW to Se axis.

The azores high isn't aloud to nudge in and this means any warm sector's are kept at bay. 

At 240 there's a hint that the ridge will head to scandi. But who knows. 

• Like 2

Posted

Ensembles have plenty of potential for snow events say north of say London westwards, some runs form nice little lows that run along the flow, drawing in slightly too warm air into the south but bumping up against the cold further north provides the Midlands with decent falls of snow.

Th pattern kinda reminds me of Feb 2010 actually a little, decent for Midlands north, not much cop for the south other than maybe front edge/back edge events.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Johnp said:

The parallel tonight is brilliant and bizarre. It's got to be the most active southerly jet I've ever seen modelled in winter, and I've been watching these charts for nearly 20 years faithfully. 

What's even more bizarre is that the snow chart shows almost nothing for inland areas! I would have thought the whole country would have been buried by the run! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Another c**p ecm op that ends with the promise of a relatively mild easterly

Isn’t it always the case  mild air showing up at 240hrs with the promise land of SW mush never nearer!

Everyone concentrating on the cold air within 144 when we should be chasing mild southerlies at 360.

Why do we never get a Bartlett? The jackpot repeater in the winter chase!

Sick of this white stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I wonder what the odds are that the 00z runs will be big upgrades all round, for a change?✌️

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

The parallel tonight is brilliant and bizarre. It's got to be the most active southerly jet I've ever seen modelled in winter, and I've been watching these charts for nearly 20 years faithfully. 

What's even more bizarre is that the snow chart shows almost nothing for inland areas! I would have thought the whole country would have been buried by the run! 

I thought that as well, literally the low pressure jumps right over the UK and reforms to the south. I've seen tropical lows do that before, but never a standard low pressure system, very odd!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Oh yes the holy grail coming on the para . Yes it’s la la land but that is nice

489EBF0F-AAFD-4E36-9B21-4D7B4D66CDA0.png

1459740F-E541-4315-B5DD-7A9773EF4A45.png

C04F3017-F17E-4404-9D8E-F8E07D73450A.png

5F17C43D-AC72-425F-AB54-5F5576AB6E06.png

350E3F53-FFF2-41B9-BB55-35AEA7A09CEC.png

• Like 4

Posted

Screenshot_20190123-235249.thumb.jpg.85bf2aee0cdc6849c562cf5b85d732eb.jpg

Not a bad little educated guess. 

I wonder if as Blue stated earlier we are staring down the barrel of a scandi high with lows scooting under. 

Imagine spending all winter chasing a greenie high to get a scandi one instead. 

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Law of averages!! said:

Good late evening, fellow cold n snow hunters... some Xcellent posts, AGAIN!!

I've one unrelated question, why doesn't it show... whose on forum at the bottom of the page any more??

Sorry for being off topic :hi:

I think having all the names on the bottom stresses out the Net-Weather server,which was probably why the thread went AWOL earlier on this evening.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep great GFS para tonight, that's Iike it for sure!

The GFS ensembles are hinting at possible back-edge snow as it clears away on the 27th, that maybe the next area to watch. Once again more likely the case in the north but not impossible further south either.

ps, I think I'm slightly grumpy because I missed the snow yesterday (especially as places 15 miles north had some!), and I think down here there aren't going to be many chances for snow this winter in this type of pattern, at least the type that actually sticks (aka, not back edge/front edge trash)

Edited by kold weather