Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

GFS 00z rolling shortly... Who's awake to analyse it !?

im awake, not sure about analysis lol

Edited by BlackburnChris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, BlackburnChris said:

im awake, not sure about analysis lol

Sure you'll make more sense of it than me, until the experts wake up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

This could be funny.

Monstrous Scandi/Russian/Siberian/Eurasian high (not sure of the geography but that high seems to have it covered!

gfsnh-0-210.png

And the warmest uppers you will ever see across a frigid Russia.

gfsnh-1-216.png

That slider would be very snowy.

Certainly an interesting run but not exciting and unlikely to be repeated me thinks.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

is it bad? snoozing on armchair lol, hard to check on my phone

I think it's showing two weeks of continuous sleet lol

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

is it bad? snoozing on armchair lol, hard to check on my phone

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm just waiting for everyone to wake up and start debating

Posted

lol , if there's a big yellow and green high to our West heading through Iceland and Greenland .... its good. If there's a collapsed high pressure over the Uk with loads of purples passing over Scotland going west to east its crap lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

lol , if there's a big yellow and green high to our West heading through Iceland and Greenland .... its good. If there's a collapsed high pressure over the Uk with loads of purples passing over Scotland going west to east its crap lol

In that case it looks OK to me. Going to need some verification on that however lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
Just now, Jackski4 said:

In that case it looks OK to me. Going to need some verification on that however lol

Did you get much snow in Southend Jack? Had a good downpour in Pitsea earlier, started to settle and there's still a bit left on the cars, this morning could be treacherous! Hopefully more to come over the next few days but not looked yet 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Essex Easterly. said:

Did you get much snow in Southend Jack? Had a good downpour in Pitsea earlier, started to settle and there's still a bit left on the cars, this morning could be treacherous! Hopefully more to come over the next few days but not looked yet 

Unfortunately no.. It was a rain/sleet mix predominately with the odd wet flake here and there.. I saw someone a few pages back say the south east could get snow today according to a model but I'm yet to have that confirmed. Maybe I was seeing things.

Definately hoping for more throughout the next few days, then a deep cold spell lasting until April would be nice!

Posted
5 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

lol ill check on pc in a minute. my pc in bedroom and trying not to wake mrs up haha

Just tell her there's more important things to think about right now and that she won't be complaining when you save her from snowmageddon!

Posted

Very nice UKMO run, but the gfs is crud. Takes forever to get an easterly in, and when it arrives its gone within 36 hours!. 

Im losing my patience with this model now

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

Just tell her there's more important things to think about right now and that she won't be complaining when you save her from snowmageddon!

lol, unfortunately she broke her leg last feb on the school run, so she hates snow and ice lol , as for me I love it.. good UKMO btw just checked

Posted
6 minutes ago, BlackburnChris said:

lol, unfortunately she broke her leg last feb on the school run, so she hates snow and ice lol , as for me I love it.. good UKMO btw just checked

Oh no! My auntie slipped on ice last March and she has brittle bones so that was a nasty few breaks! You'd think I'd have more sympathy and wish for milder weather, but no.. Snow all the way for me!!

UKMO does look good, even my extremely untrained eye thought "all these blue colours must be good"!

ECM up next !!

Edited by Jackski4

Posted

Well we've gone back a couple of weeks again, where the 00z pee on the previous night's party!

Ukmo ok, could do with removing the Icelandic low for more of a northerly airflow and not sure I don't see a spoiler low riding the Atlantic high preventing it ridging too far north...for now.

Gfs , cleaner ridge but then topples the high pretty quick..

Ukmo day 6

UKMOPEU00_144_1-6.png

Edited by KTtom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

After a day in the regionals the next hunt is on some nice snow showers yesterday only gives you the appetite for something more and Nationwide. Charts again teasing us I see. Feb still has lots of promise going forward as long as the background signals remain. Still 2 months potentially.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

A few extreme runs out of GFS ensembles which are the usual mixed bag.

gensnh-6-1-192.png

gensnh-20-1-276.png

gensnh-7-1-264.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO is classic cold zonal...

Looks great for Scotland / Northern Ireland...

image.thumb.png.bff9a6d7b0e119accaaad9ffa0738345.png

That looks decent some weak hieghts building towards Greenland and PV dropping and weakening. To me that looks quite promising going forward.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, snowangel32 said:

That looks decent some weak hieghts building towards Greenland and PV dropping and weakening. To me that looks quite promising going forward.

144 finely poised- above my pay grade to second guess the progression.

Still struggling to see where these heights to the NW EC 46 has been touting for a good while are going to come from with such a wretched Canadian vortex still refusing to leave the stage..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I'd agree with NW regarding the pesky PV lobe to North West being a pain and dominant feature.a lot of twoing and frowing without any real really wintry signal imo.very tedious now and lacking a true signal.slowly getting fed up for sure!!!

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1