Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

Same set up? just delayed by 12 hours 

Really!!!! high collapsing tbh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I can understand the frustration, as i feel that many on here move on to wanting spring warmth as soon as 1st March hits. The Azores high, whilst not an unusual feature, has been influencing our weather too much so far this winter. The constant grey skies are tedious for me and frankly any change is welcome now.

My interest is in weather extremes and not seasons. Last March I had some of the best snow drifts I have ever seen. It may have thawed more quickly, but it was fantastic to witness. I remember driving towards the severn crossings with snow blowing across the road.

For all I know I'll never see that again, so even the smallest hint of snow keeps me positive, even if I have to wait until March! If that high gets a chance to push North (or even up from the Pacific to the Arctic) and the euro trough signal remains, it would improve our chances going forward 

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 3

Posted

gfs is miles different than 6 hours ago,really wonder why it goes out further than 144l laughable difference for the worse

Edited by SLEETY
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, SLEETY said:

gfs is miles different than 6 hours ago,really wonder why it goes out further than 144l laughable difference.

They are miles apart true.watch it upgrade now tho !!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

gfs is miles different than 6 hours ago,really wonder why it goes out further than 144l laughable difference for the worse

I feel as if the ECM is going to be the most consistent/reliable over the coming days. Opinions?

• Like 2

Posted

I think tomorrow and tomorrow night is going to supprise people with the extent of the snow showers and troughs. Very cold upper air spills accross an unusually warm Atlantic, with almost a 20c difference between sea surface and upper air temp there will be some big (perhaps thundery) snow showers. NW is favoured obviously but troughs such as this one shown by the Hirlam model can pop up at short notice and deliver a couple of inches for some..

4854DCA3-37A7-4212-A9D3-CC230DFAE695.jpeg

869F8CF4-17C4-4B08-AE49-0CA43AC82420.jpeg

2931AECE-7FF8-49D6-A530-DE2D5653126A.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

yes - even though we'd like to think the models - computers producing data - are all seeing - unfortunately it's a bit like pin the tail on the donkey after about day 4/5 - and for now until the next evolution in weather forecasting comes along that's pretty much where we'll be staying

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jackski4 said:

I feel as if the ECM is going to be the most consistent/reliable over the coming days. Opinions?

Possibly yes to that.That said it woudnt take much doing atm imo.Until that huge pv lobe towards Canada does one there will be a big struggle to bring any heigths ans proper cold

Posted
14 minutes ago, swfc said:

gfs 6 z looks poor at 132 hrs compared to the oz ridging wise ete  .like pulling hens teeth atm

Now I agree - its poor 

The OP I should add - 

Next!

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!
8 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

1032 DD  on Wednesday, mother nature getting her bikini on 

560065825_doublehigh.thumb.PNG.0611165655c889049efc432e9e2476d6.PNG

Let's hope she's beach ready, as I'm about to travel south of the equator!

Posted

That PV is rampant.  Still no sign in the next 10 days of any influence from the downwelling of the SSW. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Because, despite the vast amount of resources put into computing, they still cannot handle short wave energy being ejected from the permanent NE Canada vortex. 

Not sure that relevant at all.

Heights (Arctic high) that where calculated to be in one position turned out to be in a different position, therefore the low height and shortwaves took a different track.

Shortwaves and bits of energy coming of the Canadian vortex was always forecast to happen, but without the wedge being in the right place to promote blocking the easterly failed.

Some of the runs last week has up to 6 sliders from start to finish, these sliders where created of bits of Vortex being thrown our way.

Posted

Always in the wrong place the Azores high ,but seems to disappear at the end of winter in recent years hence two bitter Marches in 5 years❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, Jackski4 said:

In such a setup expect inconsistency as the norm, I would be more concerned if a model showed consistency! With the battle between the macro; E US trough -v- Atlantic High -v- euro trough -v- Siberian high -v- Asian trough -v- Pacific ridge, expect the ebb and flow of that power struggle, along with the mesoscale features like wedges and lows to interfere with surface conditions and the flow of upper cold.

Remember the old adage: lies, damn lies and D10 ECM charts!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

ECMWF monthly from 4 updates ago vs most recent GFS run for similar dates. ECMWF  nailed USA pretty well and some parts of Europe, but look at NAO debacle.

download.png

gfsnh-12-180.png

Posted

well one month bust from the seasonal models precdicting HLB throughout January ,let’s hope the forecast for the same for  February doesn’t go bust as well.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, jules216 said:

ECMWF monthly from 4 updates ago vs most recent GFS run for similar dates. ECMWF  nailed USA pretty well and some parts of Europe, but look at NAO debacle.

download.png

gfsnh-12-180.png

Yes Interesting, Im surprised by how there remains no appetite by any of the models to remove the PV from its long standing home and how long its taking for any downwelling to occur. 

The angle of the jet and the persistence of the azores high is actually hindering our chances as warm air is meeting cold dense air exactly where we don't want it to be. Firing up the jet and shutting down any decent chance of a ridge. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Comparing ECM to GFS we see the ingredients are the same, just ECM has added spice to the meal with more intense blocks. Maybe somewhere in the middle:

1642460175_ECH1-240(6).thumb.gif.6b1c3d9b4671503e34e102f4bc01c7d2.gif1385038037_gfsnh-0-228(1).thumb.png.7e218989065509f374ac97928abecc79.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

On cue gfs starts to pick up towards day ten ie increasing amplification

Always 10 days from happiness

• Like 1