Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Well..

Goodluck to anybody attempting to make a forecast for later next week. This is getting a little ridiculous now 

ens_image.thumb.png.6a953903bf02368aebc5645f5166e5f0.png

Just a tad scattered mate. But shows nothing is resolved. FI is probs 48 hours given the positioning of that low.

Edited by snowangel32
  • Like 3

Posted

OUTLOOK: Snow or rain in cold or mild east, north or west winds, temperatures between record lows and record highs, could clear for sunshine and frosts, otherwise very mild nights with fog. Low UV index. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Yesterdays cluster show the Easterly solution now in the minority with more support for the flatter pattern, though it's hardly a real majority with many possibilities still on the table.

A slight shift towards a colder pattern from this mornings ICON, ECM too to some extent before it sends a little too much energy East. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019011912_144.thumb.png.e10650af6106486649ac87460ebe6500.png

I think we can forget about that Easterly now it's probably not going to happen, onto looking for the next source of cold. Will be interesting to see where the Met stand in todays update

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Yesterday we had the Giraffe, seahorse and the dog... now we have a rabbit, very strange vortex profiles being modelled

29B06968-A1BA-4911-8618-2A1CA47A2CAB.png

Actually. It's a hare. Model fatigue confusion no doubt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, Mizzle said:

Actually. It's a hare. Model fatigue confusion no doubt.

The blue looks like some kinda chicken to me..

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Yesterday we had the Giraffe, seahorse and the dog... now we have a rabbit, very strange vortex profiles being modelled

I'm pretty sure it's a man in the recovery position with a knife sticking out of his forehead. Which, if these models don't sort themselves out, may be telling my future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
29 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

When ICON went against the easterly a day or so ago, it took 2 ecm runs to catch up and everyone was then disappointed. Hopefully with ICON looking better again, the ECM will catch up later on today!

I LIKE your thinking!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

and the d*ck

gfsnh-0-150.png

Posted

Another week going to go by without any meaningful snow and still no solid northern blocking. Think the ec46 and other models  forecasting HLB throughout 2nd half of  Jan and Feb which has been showing since early December are looking like going bust in their forecasts

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, snowfish1 said:

With big. Puffed out cheeks 

Right!! I knew I wasn't the only one who saw that... I might be just wishful thinking about the ECM later but I do have a gut feeling!

Mind you, we are all sat here finding animal shapes in weather model charts, so I'm not too sure any of us are mentally stable enough to call it as it stands!

Posted

Check the tweets thread for why the met haven't change their forecast...Yet.. 

Yes, were back to day 10 again but signs we may finally get an Atlantic block ?

GFSOPEU00_234_1-1.png

• Like 5

Posted

To my knowledge, about an hour until we get a fresh ICON run followed by the GFS 6z at 9:30.. 

As I said, I prayed to the weather gods, hopefully they've listened.

Posted
9 minutes ago, IanT said:

Terrible performance? 

What is going to happen next week may well have changed. To suggest that a forecast updated by 48h more data is “terrible” is a viewpoint underpinned by an implicit assumption that the weather is a deterministic system in which no randomness is involved in the development of future states. A deterministic system being one that will always produce the same outcome from a given starting condition or initial state.

Wow long reply or what. I cut the rest out The simple question I and many would like to know is why if the weather is Zonal Atlantic driven the models can quite accurately forecast several days ahead without too much trouble, but if the weather attempts to come in from the other direction, it causes no end of confusion in the models. Look at the past few days for example. 

Why should the direction the weather comes to us affect the accuracy of the weather models so dramatically. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Wow long reply or what. I cut the rest out The simple question I and many would like to know is why if the weather is Zonal Atlantic driven the models can quite accurately forecast several days ahead without too much trouble, but if the weather attempts to come in from the other direction, it causes no end of confusion in the models. Look at the past few days for example. 

Why should the direction the weather comes to us affect the accuracy of the weather models so dramatically. 

It's all to do with climatology. The default weather pattern for our part of the world is Westerly winds and low pressure systems coming in on the jet stream, models handle this well because it's the "norm" and tends to be quite predictable. Low pressure moving West, work out it's speed and where the future forcings on the system will be and it's fairly easy to "guess" accurately where that system might be in 1,2,3,4 days time. 

Now take that same system but instead of sending it Westwards like normal, stick a block of high pressure in front of it, not only that but also split the energy from the low into different directions. Now the model needs to handle not only the track of the system, but the systems speed varying, the energy from the system going in 2 directions as it splits, the strength of the high, where will wind direction be at any given moment across the UK? 

Models can generally handle this quite well when looking at the NH pattern as a hole, but given the UK is a tiny island in one corner of the hemisphere it doesn't take a huge change in direction/speed/split energy to have a big effect on the weather we see here on the ground.

Now throw into the mix the MJO, downwelling from the SSW, El Nino etc and it gets infinitely more complicated. Plus the models probably do struggle with zonal at times but how many of us can honestly say we micro analyse the models when zonal is on the cards the same way we do when cold and snow are on the cards?

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

1. We do not analyse zonal to the same extent, so changes are not picked up.

2. Larger margin for error with zonal.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

48 minutes ago, IanT said:

Terrible performance? 

What is going to happen next week may well have changed. To suggest that a forecast updated by 48h more data is “terrible” is a viewpoint underpinned by an implicit assumption that the weather is a deterministic system in which no randomness is involved in the development of future states. A deterministic system being one that will always produce the same outcome from a given starting condition or initial state.

But I think that we all understand innately that weather is far from deterministic. There are chaotic elements - the proverbial light left on in Fairbanks etc. - which influence outcomes. As forecast horizons extend the scope for these to have an impact increases. Given a specific set of starting conditions, multiple outcomes are possible. The weather that we get is one realisation, but there may have been other equally plausible outcomes at the point the forecast was made.

Criticism of NWP outputs on this board (and others!) often follows a pattern. Posters will say that the models are "struggling to tie down" a feature, or that the models are "always poor in this type of setup". With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, posters will say the model was "wrong because it failed to pick up ... [height rises over the Azores?]".  Any verification gap is thus attributed to modelling weakness/failure, overlooking the possibility that something changed between the point at which the forecast was made and its realisation.

What is the point of all of this? I guess it's a plea for acceptance that the models aren't "searching for a solution". We shouldn't criticise them when they "flip-flop" from one outcome to another, especially where longer time periods are involved. There simply isn't one path that the models have to "lock-on" to. Weather has chaotic elements. If the models this afternoon don't show the extended cold spell they were showing yesterday it might not be because they are inaccurate. Something might well have changed!

NWP models are wonderful tools for forecasters. I'm sure that they have massively improved forecasting accuracy in recent years, and that these improvements will continue. But we should always remember that weather is not a deterministic system, and modulate our expectations and responses accordingly.

Really interesting post! Quite philosophical... thanks

Posted
56 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Another week going to go by without any meaningful snow and still no solid northern blocking. Think the ec46 and other models  forecasting HLB throughout 2nd half of  Jan and Feb which has been showing since early December are looking like going bust in their forecasts

The ECM 46 day model isn’t showing HLB until the week of the 28th of January.

• Like 3

Posted
58 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Depends..

EC46 for the 22nd vs GFS forecast for the 22nd

22nd.thumb.png.b4ddb3e0dd39e40e3ff84198bad77467.png22nd1.thumb.png.638e637d4b4a524fc8465cecdcd0e1d8.png

Broadly the lows/highs are where the EC46 predicted. EC46 doesn't really show any meaningful HLB until the 1st week fo February

FEB.thumb.png.73ff2b83f96ee569287b5c4a3c8d2044.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

The ECM 46 day model isn’t showing HLB until the week of the 28th of January.

To be fair i thought the main chances of wintery weather was going to start early feb and anything before then was a bonus.