Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I have an idea...can we start another thread for members moaning about threads...? 

Reading about it constantly is more tedious than any one liner posts. 

Oh and fantastic GFS run - snow chances for all the UK and Ireland. ❄️

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Geez! Some folks do love to complain!:wallbash:

Yeah I know, I was just confused where to post, but I’m over that.  I actually like the bit of freedom this thread gives for a bit of humour rather than “it must be deep model analysis only”!

You can’t have your cake and eat it, although it appears that’s what some are after ?‍♂️ 

anyway, easterly on the cards again! Pass me a beer!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Sounds good in theory Paul but this change isn't great imo, many of the posters I'm interested in reading what they have to say regarding the models are posting in here and not the other thread, or they cross post if I'm really lucky but usually I'm left trawling through all the banter searching for the model output! I don't really fancy adding loads of users to my ignore list just to make this thread a lot quicker & easier to navigate but I can see myself ending up going down that route lol.

Perhaps drop those people a pm or sticky and ask them if they'd mind cross-posting when they can - it's a new thread over there, so not everyone will be aware of what it's about, and the more the word is spread, the better it's likely to be. The team have been messaging and copying some posts into the focused thread already, so the more the merrier in that respect.  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Afternoon All-

Im really suprised that noone has picked up on the UKMO 144-

Heights to the NE & a diving jet usually spells Easterly ( around 168 )

58D2B0C9-E356-47E4-9A44-5493528D87A3.thumb.jpeg.c34b7f812429f8cb0f03daff883b15bd.jpeg

I did Steve thought I was seeing things that weren't there when no one else posted about it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Afternoon All-

58D2B0C9-E356-47E4-9A44-5493528D87A3.thumb.jpeg.c34b7f812429f8cb0f03daff883b15bd.jpeg

Not sure Steve - really a tiny little shortwave is about to be ejected South but would that swing it towards an E'ly - might do at about 216 if it went further but surely not 168.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Sounds good in theory Paul but this change isn't great imo, many of the posters I'm interested in reading what they have to say regarding the models are posting in here and not the other thread, or they cross post if I'm really lucky but usually I'm left trawling through all the banter searching for the model output! I don't really fancy adding loads of users to my ignore list just to make this thread a lot quicker & easier to navigate but I can see myself ending up going down that route lol.

You can’t have your cake and eat it, remove all the banter and one liners and you get the serious forum, which is too quiet for your liking. So you either take a quiet, more serious thread or come to the busier one and put up with it. Your choice.

Edited by Bazray
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Swave Snow said:

Yes, but wouldn't that bring in westerlies and lots of windy weather? Like normal winters here in the UK I  totally disagree this assessment, we have been in the blocking azores high zone now for months 

Quite. Plus it's more difficult to get cold spells earlier on in the winter than after Christmas/New Year. If we're lucky we get a good cold spell late winter / early spring but more dice have to roll right. I'd say we're in the peak period now until mid Feb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Afternoon All-

Imagine most are scared to chase another one.. especially after the last one was cruely ripped from us

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
1 minute ago, Bazray said:

You can’t have your cake and eat it, remove all the banter and one liners and you get the serious forum, which is too quiet for your liking. So you either take a quiet, more serious forum or come to a busier one and put up with it.

Do I, actually i got a few options as I said.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Afternoon All-

Hopefully this Easterly will second lucky but meh who knows 

Time is running out for a cold spell unfortunately we better start getting luck soon 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I don’t see any easterly coming on that UKMO 144 chart to be honest....just a continuation of our eternal frustration! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm glad I was born in 1957 and not 2057...In winter 2119, Netweather will have a thread dedicated to searching for days with maxes below 10C! 

Tend to agree Pete, at least we have our memories, and experienced some cracking winters, unlike the majority of the dross that you usually get these days.:oldsmile:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
18 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Afternoon All-

I’m probably on your ignore list

1B9C2710-3590-414A-9A43-054B6551BAC1.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
1 hour ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Not a fan if I'm honest. Should just go back to one hunt for cold thread. Thought it worked a lot better. 

I also agree... I think it's not the same now. This thread is fast moving with a lot of banter like in the title of the thread which is great but it lacks some of the more experienced posters and also goes off topic to easily. The other thread is great but it's now just to quiet in there. I understand what @Paul is saying about having the one thread and trying to moderate it all the time but it's lost its appeal and atmosphere now splitting it up. Please don't have a go at me as it's just my personal appionion. @Paul and the mods do a great job but it really doesn't feel the same anymore... 

Maybe to settle this once and for all you should set up a vote and let us net weather Members show what they prefer?  

Edited by The BEAST From The East
Added
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
15 minutes ago, Stonethecrows said:

With the downgrading of the models in recent days can someone please explain the snowmageddon showing up on my netweather 10 dsy forcast? thanks

20190121_171607.jpg

As this pattern is a downgrade for the South, while a upgrade for the North - if you want snow.

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, Paul said:

Perhaps drop those people a pm or sticky and ask them if they'd mind cross-posting when they can - it's a new thread over there, so not everyone will be aware of what it's about, and the more the word is spread, the better it's likely to be. The team have been messaging and copying some posts into the focused thread already, so the more the merrier in that respect.  

If we are asking people to cross post in two threads, or have mods copy posts into the “correct” thread, then I think we have identified a problem!

• Like 2

Posted

Some more interesting GEFS showing up with more trough disruption over the UK.

We’re seeing more variation over Europe even though the upstream pattern has good agreement with that amplified west USA coast ridge and eastern trough .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2