Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold proper on the way?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
9 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Those handful of  -10 to -15 trendsetters are disproportionately skewing the mean though

Corrected your post!  

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
51 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

b) the fact that if i predicted the whole thing might collapse it would cause the level of bullying on here to get out of hand and i knew then if i dared defend myself it would be me that got banned and not the people that were having digs, despite the fact that i would have been proved right, but even after the 12z  ECM, people just could not see the wood for the trees.

Top post Feb. And something I have brought up with Paul. 

People should not be afraid to post their thoughts for fear of reprisal. 

The ECM mean is decent tonight at days 8-10 but it seems to have been that way for days and days. 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Dave Kightley said:

The lesser models are showing the same thing whilst the other models are over the place!

Exactly what I thought there seems to be more consistency between the so called lessor models than the main ones. Who knows they may all look like dog tomorrow but then again they may not

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Just a thought ...... whilst last feb was a very different ssw, we saw the nwp model a repsonse for around the 19th feb on the models ...... this fell apart after a couple days with Atlantic firing up but the proposed pattern came back for less than a week later (with a vengeance). Now we aren’t looking at a scandi high this time but the euro trough, whilst failing to sustain later this week will have another go and another go and at some point it will stick! 

Throw enough darts and you will hit the bullseye but we have thrown thousands in recent winters. 

What are your views relating to a strong negative AO, was 2010 a coincidence or is this background signal a real positive?

Cheers, Blue.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Top post Feb. And something I have brought up with Paul. 

People should not be afraid to post their thoughts for fear of reprisal. 

Thanks - its not like i am some sort of snowflake (pardon the pun), its like water off a ducks back to me, but if you give it you have to be able to take it - and that is the problem - there is no balance sometimes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out our chances of easterly's / colder and potentially snowier weather

I am still sticking a good majority of my faith in the ensemble NAEFS, due to how persistent this model has been with the signal for above average heights Atlantic / Greenland / Arctic / Scandi and if anything over the past few days the signal has grown / intensified 

108h naefsnh-0-0-108.thumb.png.db43f40487ff59692ca0e8ebc46e1dd1.png  180h naefsnh-0-0-180.thumb.png.05896fb2ac030fe73c5d39f5cfe9aff3.png 288h naefsnh-0-0-288.thumb.png.dca544e6dfc265d412063f2d0f5d16d5.png end of the run naefsnh-0-0-384.thumb.png.615e9ff026709419ea269f045b780061.png

A bit of difference in the MJO forecasts but perhaps adding to some confusion for the models with it looking like we are entering phase 4 which is less favourable for colder conditions, a few hinting at possibly going toward phase 7 by the start of February which could help aid blocking but perhaps there is still some lag time with the MJO and also factoring in the strat event(s) and the USA storm it is no surprise the amount of changes / uncertainty with each run ATM.

Some other charts showing why it is perhaps foolish to write the pattern of NW > SE lows and possible easterly's off so quickly

gensnh-0-1-312.thumb.png.8d6f60925b148c0d7c3b4a8c1b434ba7.pnggensnh-0-3-384.thumb.png.a976ebfcb658aee138c91c3ae2f067d5.pnggens-2-1-288.thumb.png.c4cb972525484e9d341d48a5bddd1c9d.pnggens-2-1-312.thumb.png.025d5c00789e0fbf6efadac7f06ed840.pnggens-5-1-252.thumb.png.62807fb80101a3cb72de043deac37256.pnggens-13-1-240.thumb.png.683a7e3101c9af2734956690682d8cbe.png    

gens-16-0-324.thumb.png.c7f467e9085f1dfafff761e94051d891.pnggens-3-1-276.thumb.png.a789d0393e0ef7d09eb343ada441f95f.pnggens-11-1-192.thumb.png.df1f040da5f2031d275a7d5f953b9ec0.pnggens-12-1-300.thumb.png.7f0ea0ef653e22aba7d23d5a29690a28.pnggens-19-0-228.thumb.png.c7c1c8390c2da0135a661b2694d5c182.pnggens-19-0-252.thumb.png.a764455973e6e386749c6f32fb73617d.png   

gens-19-1-252.thumb.png.50c500e2cf2ca309fcdc132e5c58de6c.png

Keep the faith folks plenty of time for some proper wintry conditions for the UK yet bearing in mind I didn't see any truly meaningful snow until the beast from the east last winter on 28th February (and I am yet to see any snow this winter)- 

Count Days

40 days

19 January 2019 - 28 February 2019 I would wager that we have a pretty good chance of many areas seeing snow by then and even March can deliver - aka March 2013 (not suggesting anything of that severity, just highlighting that there is plenty of time left remember my post from a few days ago where I showed how quickly things can change in favour of blocking / cold like Nov / Dec 2010 and Feb / March last year)  

No offence meant but that's like having an open ended bet, you never lose !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
28 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

From what I can remember just before last years beast the models couldn’t get to grips with the position of the high pressure to our north and just 3 days before it came, the ecm showed the main thrust of cold heading to France and north Spain, before just the next day a north correction and we were in the sweet spot so I’m going to give it until Monday 12z before calling it, we might just get this easterly you never know .

Feb and March 2018 verification stats for some of the main models for your thoughts.

1269017895_feb2018.thumb.PNG.6fd5e7c4b70084aaa20ecb7d9cc5fa0c.PNG  1051180702_march2018.thumb.PNG.9d6f0fb44a628118139f9f91ae3ec8f8.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

You're not concerned about that shortwave west of Greenland at 84 Steve? Pressure is deeper between Ice-Greenland at 90 on pub run as opposed to 96 on 12z.

So 22 hours ago I raised the concerns of what was about to follow. The pub run pulled the rabbit out of the hat last night by inflating the arctic ridge... Who knows, as this is still knife-edge stuff, maybe tonight's 18z will do another magician's job on it. It's very early in the run, we'll know by T-72. But if by tonight, it's still the same, we'll look to round 2! Ding ding!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Ignoring the mid-long term because quite franky, what. 

ECM for Tuesday showing accumulations generally restricted to higher ground in the North/West 

ECMWF.thumb.png.b44978e92ab7f1829d25dba8b8540619.png

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Throw enough darts and you will hit the bullseye but we have thrown thousands in recent winters. 

What are your views relating to a strong negative AO, was 2010 a coincidence or is this background signal a real positive?

Cheers, Blue.

The modelling firming up on a decent neg AO post 27th with NAO also neg

i just think we have been v unlucky this upcoming week ....perhaps expecting the initial surge south of low heights to just stick as a pattern change was a little naive .... the second and third waves look like being better - note the spread to the west illustrated above which isolates the Azores further away .... hopefully that reflects waves 2 and 3 will back further west which leaves us more room for error on eastward adjustments 

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

ECM for Tuesday showing accumulations generally restricted to higher ground in the North/West 

Aperge not too interested either!

Screenshot 2019-01-19 at 20.44.02.png

Posted
1 minute ago, Weathizard said:

Can we please stop the whole I told you so thing? It’s infuriating reading multiple posts saying ‘I said this would happen’ 100% we all did get ahead of ourselves last night that much is evident but it’s like me resurrecting posts of people who were wrong and gloating, it’s pointless.. besides nobody is right or wrong yet as Nothing has actually happened yet!

Aye people that gloat lose any respect they may of had IMO. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
34 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Feb and March 2018 verification stats for some of the main models for your thoughts.

1269017895_feb2018.thumb.PNG.6fd5e7c4b70084aaa20ecb7d9cc5fa0c.PNG  1051180702_march2018.thumb.PNG.9d6f0fb44a628118139f9f91ae3ec8f8.PNG

JMA it is then. Very alright with that. 

EDIT: Shudda gone to Specavers. That'll teach me to jump to conclusions. Apologies. It's obviously inverted.

Edited by supernova
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

East of the pennines snow shield in full effect couldn't make it up and as soon as the front touches France and the Low Countries it all accumulates as snow again 

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Just a thought ...... whilst last feb was a very different ssw, we saw the nwp model a repsonse for around the 19th feb on the models ...... this fell apart after a couple days with Atlantic firing up but the proposed pattern came back for less than a week later (with a vengeance). Now we aren’t looking at a scandi high this time but the euro trough, whilst failing to sustain later this week will have another go and another go and at some point it will stick! 

In march, probably.

• Like 1