Sign in to follow this  
Snipper

Are you happy that solid fuel fires are to be banned?

On 15/01/2019 at 11:48, Snowycat said:

My concern is whether government local or otherwise view it as a possible revenue generator,  i,e., your solid fuel stove needs a licence to say it complies with legislation and of course we'll have to fund the licence.  Just a thought.  

Been done before:  Hearth Tax

But seriously, the proposed legislation is to reduce particulate emissions, improving health and reducing the risk of smog, in cities.   Unfortunately, it'll equally penalise those who live 2,000ft up a hill, 5 miles from the next nearest house, because politicians and modern civil servants between them have only one brain cell and are incapable of understanding the law of unintended consequences, or that one size fits all legislation doesn't work for anyone.

7 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

No gas here as live very rural, Have an Esse oil range which does the heating hot water and for cooking, That's always ticking away on low 24/7 this time of year. In the living room we have an open fire which i light when it starts to get chilly as so I don't have to turn the range up. I have woodland so all my wood is free and seasoned for at least 2 years but it's a labour of love as it's hard work! 

Yes, I bet it is.  My logs àre dropped off on my drive so I then have to stack them and it is hard going and I don't have to chop mine up.  I've lost count of the times I've squished my fingers and dropped logs on my feet 😩 and it hurts!  

Edited by Snowycat

We use a log burner (or two) all winter. It's our only source of heat in our main living space. Our stove is also Defra approved, this new leglisation is more of a curb on folk who live in Cities and towns where there really is no reason to have a log burner other than for aesthetic reasons.

Also it is to curb the log sellers who sell wet wood which is a bigger contributor to pollution. The wetter the wood the bigger the particle matter being released!