Sign in to follow this  
Snipper

Are you happy that solid fuel fires are to be banned?

Latest proposals will leave many cold and out of pocket. 

What do you think?

I've a DEFRA approved multi fuel burner and I only burn kiln dried wood, from a supplier who is approved, so hoping I will be OK.  I would be most unhappy to be banned from using my burner as it works every day during winter.  Absolutely invaluable when keeping my cat family quiet.....

image.jpg

Edited by Snowycat

They are proposing banning the sale of the least efficient fires and the sale of wet wood and poorest coal. They are not banning wood burners

32 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I've a DEFRA approved multi fuel burner and I only burn kiln dried wood, from a supplier who is approved, so hoping I will be OK.  I would be most unhappy to be banned from using my burner as it works every day during winter.  Absolutely invaluable when keeping my cat family quiet.....

image.jpg

that's a lot of cats 

56 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

that's a lot of cats 

Lol, there's another on the settee 🤣🤣🤣🤣

57 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Lol, there's another on the settee 🤣🤣🤣🤣

lol i just have the one, she hates the cold

2 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

they arent. thjey are looking at making solid fuel burners cleaner.

So who is paying for the replacement of the many fires that are not deemed to be cleaner?

6 minutes ago, Snipper said:

So who is paying for the replacement of the many fires that are not deemed to be cleaner?

It's a good question.  I wonder how they will check and monitor existing fires.  I have a tree surgeon friend who (obviously)  has a ready supply of logs for his 2x burners.  He does season them but whether they would meet potential new standards would be open to question; I think the burners are his sole source of heat.  In fact most people I know will use wood from whatever source they can in an attempt to keep heatng bills to a minimum - kiln dried logs are not cheap.  

48 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol i just have the one, she hates the cold

Bless her.  Not all mine get on harmoniously.  Button, 2nd from left, dislikes Rupert my black and white boy and shouts at him frequently......but amazingly that burner knocks them out and peace reigns.    

12 hours ago, Snipper said:

itll be phased in.

Yet more planet fear; unenforceable. No worries here.

13 hours ago, Snipper said:

There will be no legislation making anyone change existing fires. Those existing fires will become cleaner by burning cleaner fuel. The cleaner fuel like kiln dried wood burn more efficiently thus providing better heat. I don't see a problem with his at all. 

1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

itll be phased in.

That’s good. My solid fuel stove is 40 plus years old and looks like it has many more years to go. Always burned smokeless fuel in it. Have another one I use occasionally where I burn logs I have cut down, which apparently are the Satan of solid fuels.

Must admit I didn’t think it was a problem but always interested in people’s different perspectives. So thought I’d ask the question. 

Once again more tosh coming out of politicians mouths who don’t listen or understand. 

My concern is whether government local or otherwise view it as a possible revenue generator,  i,e., your solid fuel stove needs a licence to say it complies with legislation and of course we'll have to fund the licence.  Just a thought.  

Cats love open fires needs a petition to bring back open fires for all the cats and to warm your hands and make toast on a red fire nothing like it.

This is definitely more of a problem for towns and cities than for rural areas.  In built up areas where electricity and gas are taken for granted, solid fuel and log burning stoves are a fashion accessory and probably a nuisance where inappropriate fuel is burned by ill-informed city dwellers.  But in rural areas which make up most of the land in the UK and where there is no mains gas, log burners become more important.  I suggest that they will need to guarantee my overhead electricity supply in all weathers, storms, blizzards and floods included, before they start to complain about the log burner which is our ONLY form of heat in a power cut.

1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

This is definitely more of a problem for towns and cities than for rural areas.  In built up areas where electricity and gas are taken for granted, solid fuel and log burning stoves are a fashion accessory and probably a nuisance where inappropriate fuel is burned by ill-informed city dwellers.  But in rural areas which make up most of the land in the UK and where there is no mains gas, log burners become more important.  I suggest that they will need to guarantee my overhead electricity supply in all weathers, storms, blizzards and floods included, before they start to complain about the log burner which is our ONLY form of heat in a power cut.

I agree ,I have an oil tank and a wood burner ,also a genny as we do lose power from wind damage to overhead cables from time to time  although I'm not in a remote location ,

4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I agree ,I have an oil tank and a wood burner ,also a genny as we do lose power from wind damage to overhead cables from time to time  although I'm not in a remote location ,

Our oil heating depends on the electric pump and electronic controls so it's no good in a power cut.  I've considered getting a genny but hooking it up to the house seems complicated!  In fairness we don't get that many power cuts but they always happen in extreme weather when we need some form of independent heating hence the log burner.....   We haven't used it much this year as its been too warm!

34 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Our oil heating depends on the electric pump and electronic controls so it's no good in a power cut.  I've considered getting a genny but hooking it up to the house seems complicated!  In fairness we don't get that many power cuts but they always happen in extreme weather when we need some form of independent heating hence the log burner.....   We haven't used it much this year as its been too warm!

Its rigged to a transfer switch board, don't think it was that complicated  to do as took electrician  a morning to do

They need to focus on banning all those external heaters that are used outside bars and restaurants as well as on people's patios. They are extremely wasteful! If you find it too cold to sit outside then simply don't.

No gas here as live very rural, Have an Esse oil range which does the heating hot water and for cooking, That's always ticking away on low 24/7 this time of year. In the living room we have an open fire which i light when it starts to get chilly as so I don't have to turn the range up. I have woodland so all my wood is free and seasoned for at least 2 years but it's a labour of love as it's hard work! 

Edited by Polar Maritime