Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Lauren

Is litter getting worse?

Recommended Posts

I can't help notice the sharp escalation in litter in my area recently. Some days it honestly looks like someone has just emptied black bags all along the side of roads. It's absolutely disgusting and is left there for months. Even reporting it to the council seems to do nothing. Lots get spilled by the trucks on bin day and is just never picked up.

They seem to be able to deal with letter much better in other countries, I don't know why it's such a problem here.

Is your area the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes

100% yes.

theres more people now, theres more packaging now, and people care less now about littering. its not such a social taboo.

i could say car drivers are the worse, now the leaves are off just drive down any major road and see the litter strewn in the banks. they see windows as 'the bin' and toss litter out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed how bad if is around layby around motorway exits particularly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well here is because we had our bin man pickups changed. people drag their over full bin out, leave it so when the wind blows the bin opens and the birds/animals look for food and cover the area with gunk. Next door learnt very quickly not to do that when we had 2 bags of their rubbish all over the place and our other neighbours weren't backwards in coming forwards telling them to sort it.  

However we have a 'refuse center' in a new by carpark and I think that is cleared once every few months and it's a joke how much mounts up. We are talking clothes and bottles mainly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Its not just litter though... i don't live in the UK anymore but whenever i come back i notice how overgrown everything is..i spent a week in Exeter last July..used to be a very well kept city..but when i was there i notice the grass verges and grass in parks etc hadn't been cut for months and was 100 ft high..grass and weeds growing through the pavement everywhere..generally the city look like someone who hadn't had a haircut in a long time..i was going to write to the council and say as an expat what a shambles the place looked..but could not be bothered

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Its not just litter though... i don't live in the UK anymore but whenever i come back i notice how overgrown everything is..i spent a week in Exeter last July..used to be a very well kept city..but when i was there i notice the grass verges and grass in parks etc hadn't been cut for months and was 100 ft high..grass and weeds growing through the pavement everywhere..generally the city look like someone who hadn't had a haircut in a long time..i was going to write to the council and say as an expat what a shambles the place looked..but could not be bothered

you are correct

i used to work for local authority (grounds maintenance) and we have been cutting back on services ever since the late 70's. although i went self employed in 1990, i still understand the standards, the job specs, the frequencies, i used to work with have all been eroded.

i was thinking the other day how many services our council provided in the early 70's, despite 3 day weeks, strikes, recessions, galloping inflation. yet here we are in the future, much much more wealthy with a much higher income and paying far more taxes....and we get less and less for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course its worse. Not only are there less general litter picking there is less kerb maintenance less general maintenance overall. All as a result of cutbacks in funding from the centre. You can't expect the same level of service if funding available is 20 to 30% less. As a result of less community people don't do it themselves. Fortunately on my street we all ensure litter is picked up and verges kept tidy can't be said for the majority of areas I know

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Its not just litter though... i don't live in the UK anymore but whenever i come back i notice how overgrown everything is..i spent a week in Exeter last July..used to be a very well kept city..but when i was there i notice the grass verges and grass in parks etc hadn't been cut for months and was 100 ft high..grass and weeds growing through the pavement everywhere..generally the city look like someone who hadn't had a haircut in a long time..i was going to write to the council and say as an expat what a shambles the place looked..but could not be bothered

Generally speaking verges are left uncut now until at least July/August, sometimes later. This is a deliberate policy brought in to encourage wildlife and wild flowers and it's been very successful. It is one of the main contributing factors to maintaining/increasing wildlife into what would otherwise be a near barren urban landscape. Personally speaking, I think it's brilliant.

Litter....loads of it around and I'm more than happy to do my 'grumpy old woman' act and tell folk to pick it up. Saturday just gone I did precisely that, car park of local KFC was strewn with litter, I suspect some was folk just not bothering but the biggest contribution was from seriously over flowing bins and it was blowing everywhere. I went in, told them what was happening and they sent someone out to empty the bins and tidy up 🙂

What does seem to be on the increase around here is fly tipping, not so much where I live but where I work just outside Bristol. Literally a week doesn't pass without vast amounts of stuff being dumped in the lane to the village, often what is obviously trade waste. Infuriating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

I've noticed how bad if is around layby around motorway exits particularly 

Yep. We drove from here to Bournemouth down the A338 on NYD and I noticed how bad it was at the time. Plastic crap everywhere in the hedgerows, all dropped by the usual scumbags. Councils cuts mean it doesn't get cleared, but surely it shouldn't be needed. How much of an &£^"*)"& do you need to be to chuck anything out of car window when you're driving through the countryside?

Seem to me that nothing has changed since the uproar after the Blue Planet aired. Plenty of noise, as usual.... I bought mushrooms, celery, peppers, onions, tomatoes and apples at the co-op this morning. All wrapped in plastic and all totally pointless. Drives me mad. Just ban it, or tax the produces to b*ggery. It's not hard, surely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the mainly dry Festive Period, there's been an escalation in the number of dog turds...Councils can no-longer afford to employ street cleaners, so we have to wait for rain. Cut after cut after cut (with little or no consideration of the consequences) is never a successful way to run a country.

Litter louts are only half the problem...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I join in with the local litter picks when I can but the bottom line is that it's a service we pay for and aren't getting.

I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't lie about it. Telling us they clear a particular place weekly yet there's video evidence of the same litter from one month to the next.

Edited by Lauren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a flytipper last year with green waste fortunately about a  car trailer full I've since chained up the gateway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jethro said:

Generally speaking verges are left uncut now until at least July/August, sometimes later. This is a deliberate policy brought in to encourage wildlife and wild flowers and it's been very successful. It is one of the main contributing factors to maintaining/increasing wildlife into what would otherwise be a near barren urban landscape. Personally speaking, I think it's brilliant.

Litter....loads of it around and I'm more than happy to do my 'grumpy old woman' act and tell folk to pick it up. Saturday just gone I did precisely that, car park of local KFC was strewn with litter, I suspect some was folk just not bothering but the biggest contribution was from seriously over flowing bins and it was blowing everywhere. I went in, told them what was happening and they sent someone out to empty the bins and tidy up 🙂

What does seem to be on the increase around here is fly tipping, not so much where I live but where I work just outside Bristol. Literally a week doesn't pass without vast amounts of stuff being dumped in the lane to the village, often what is obviously trade waste. Infuriating.

depends where the verges are tbh... a lot of urban verges are useless for wildlife, leaving them only results in weeds (and not the useful ones).

passing places on country lanes near here are strewn with maccy d's wrappings and lager cans, alongside drugs paraphernalia '

fly tipping has never been so bad.. so bad ou local councils are now clamping down on it much more strongly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jethro said:

Generally speaking verges are left uncut now until at least July/August, sometimes later. This is a deliberate policy brought in to encourage wildlife and wild flowers and it's been very successful. It is one of the main contributing factors to maintaining/increasing wildlife into what would otherwise be a near barren urban landscape. Personally speaking, I think it's brilliant.

Litter....loads of it around and I'm more than happy to do my 'grumpy old woman' act and tell folk to pick it up. Saturday just gone I did precisely that, car park of local KFC was strewn with litter, I suspect some was folk just not bothering but the biggest contribution was from seriously over flowing bins and it was blowing everywhere. I went in, told them what was happening and they sent someone out to empty the bins and tidy up 🙂

What does seem to be on the increase around here is fly tipping, not so much where I live but where I work just outside Bristol. Literally a week doesn't pass without vast amounts of stuff being dumped in the lane to the village, often what is obviously trade waste. Infuriating.

i mean grass verges and vis display between pavement and roads in cities not grass banks etc..like this where all the grass is feet high and weeds and grass is growing through the pavement and kerbs..which looks better feet high grass and weeds or something cut...i mean thats why people cut their lawns right?

roundabout-den-bosch.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This country is generally fairly untidy, but it is very dependent on your location. The greater Manchester area has some particularly dirty areas, and with areas where minority communities live , the mess is atrocious and a lot of it is caused by general house waste and furniture! Signs pertaining the need to contact the police in the event of an environmental crime do not seem to deter them. Blackburn is a good example of a city in the UK I've been to that is an utter you-know-what, partly as a result of rubbish and general lack of housekeeping by the local council. 

Manchester central is generally well kept, and apart from the slightly irritating aroma of a certain plant being smoked from seemingly every direction, the environment in general seems very well managed. The underlying issue is that at tram stops and train stations, there are no litter bins. I once had an empty pizza box from the deli counter at Sainsbury's at Manchester station and had no means of disposing of it in a controlled way. After asking the police what to do with it, I was told to chuck it in the corner...wtf is wrong with this place and why are they so lax about littering?? People really need to be taught to take care of their rubbish responsibly. And that goes for waste alcohol cans, cigarette butts, fast food packaging and general sweet wrappers.

Ramsbottom is a lovely part of the Greater Manchester area, and the council seem to be doing a great job maintaining it fit for purpose. But there are so many grim areas around here. Lack of funding, lack of respect and the legacy of Labour's failed integration experiment seem to be the factors underpinning these issues.

Edited by Optimus Prime
removed swear word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The area I live with my mum is very tidy, apart from the odd plastic bottle on the street and crisp packets flying around, where I live with my dad is the total opposite, as it's a council estate, there's often beer cans, coke cans laying about in the alley ways, trolleys dumped in random places, which is a daily nuisance, one seems to pop up every day, if it's not that then it's sofa's and mattresses left in the parking area which the council aren't paid to clear up, so they just get left until someone reports fly tipping. There was a community practice in place last year to tidy up the area but it hasn't seemed to have done much good, I think they have given up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i mean grass verges and vis display between pavement and roads in cities not grass banks etc..like this where all the grass is feet high and weeds and grass is growing through the pavement and kerbs..which looks better feet high grass and weeds or something cut...i mean thats why people cut their lawns right?

roundabout-den-bosch.jpg

The only overgrown bit I can see in that pic is in the foreground of the pic, do you mean that bit? If so, what I can see is mature flower heads/seed heads of plants, one of which is Verbascum.  Those flowers heads are packed with seeds that birds feed on, prior to this, when in full flower, they would have sustained bees, butterflies and other insects. Surely that can only be a good thing? Grass in the pavement cracks will be kept short by foot traffic walking over it, the alternative is widespread use of weedkiller, none of which is totally free from potential harm to the environment. Isn't protecting the environment more important than a bit of grass growing through pavement cracks?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

depends where the verges are tbh... a lot of urban verges are useless for wildlife, leaving them only results in weeds (and not the useful ones).

passing places on country lanes near here are strewn with maccy d's wrappings and lager cans, alongside drugs paraphernalia '

fly tipping has never been so bad.. so bad ou local councils are now clamping down on it much more strongly.

Urban verges are vital to wildlife, what you see as useless weeds are foodstuff for many species.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read a report that someone got fined £600 in west Wales for dropping a fast food wrapper out of a car. About ruddy time. Lake District is plagued with twonks who think they can dump their cr4p wherever they like!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jethro said:

The only overgrown bit I can see in that pic is in the foreground of the pic, do you mean that bit? If so, what I can see is mature flower heads/seed heads of plants, one of which is Verbascum.  Those flowers heads are packed with seeds that birds feed on, prior to this, when in full flower, they would have sustained bees, butterflies and other insects. Surely that can only be a good thing? Grass in the pavement cracks will be kept short by foot traffic walking over it, the alternative is widespread use of weedkiller, none of which is totally free from potential harm to the environment. Isn't protecting the environment more important than a bit of grass growing through pavement cracks?

no i mean that"s what it should look like..in reality those verges are 10 ft high with grass and weeds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jethro said:

The only overgrown bit I can see in that pic is in the foreground of the pic, do you mean that bit? If so, what I can see is mature flower heads/seed heads of plants, one of which is Verbascum.  Those flowers heads are packed with seeds that birds feed on, prior to this, when in full flower, they would have sustained bees, butterflies and other insects. Surely that can only be a good thing? Grass in the pavement cracks will be kept short by foot traffic walking over it, the alternative is widespread use of weedkiller, none of which is totally free from potential harm to the environment. Isn't protecting the environment more important than a bit of grass growing through pavement cracks?

We do have an issue up here with self seeded saplings invading the verges that used to be kept clear, but now due to cut backs / ineptitude are growing annually. They bring down dry stone walls and block drains as well as impacting on vision. Not litter but needs dealing with. Trees are brilliant...except where they're a problem...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my local tip is a right tip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

no i mean that"s what it should look like..in reality those verges are 10 ft high with grass and weeds 

We're clearly very different in our outlook, what you see as a problem makes my heart sing. Humans concrete over the world, dominating the eco system, I see nothing but positives in creating mini eco systems within the concrete spread. Corridors of grass and what you perceive to be weeds (actually food stuff for many birds&insects) is an important step in protecting and promoting wildlife within our cities.

I'm old enough to remember when all roadsides and motorway embankments were routinely cut and kept neat and tidy, not a wild flower to be seen. Within a few short years of the decision being made not to cut them, they were alive with plants and wildlife. Study after study shows they're teeming with small insects, small mammals, birds, including the top of the food chain ones - raptors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixmystreet is a good way to report stuff and it goes straight to your council. The problem is when they do nothing about it....

Funny thing is, in one report I did, I mentioned smashed glass on the kerb. That got cleaned up within 24 hours, but the litter mentioned in the same report is still there a month later.

I tweeted the council to mention that nothing is done about litter reports and they just responded by telling me to make another report 🤦‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JeffC said:

We do have an issue up here with self seeded saplings invading the verges that used to be kept clear, but now due to cut backs / ineptitude are growing annually. They bring down dry stone walls and block drains as well as impacting on vision. Not litter but needs dealing with. Trees are brilliant...except where they're a problem...

I agree trees can be a problem, but I'd wager far more saplings get eaten by wildlife than escape and grow to be a problem. The flip side is every stone wall belongs to someone, I doubt anyone sensible would let a self sown sapling grow unchecked against their house. so why let it grow against a wall? Hedging and ditching used to be standard farming practise during winter, as did an annual check of boundary walls. I know farmers are busy but time spent (just once a year) walking their boundaries, inspecting their walls and pulling out saplings as they went, would pay dividends in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...