Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model banter returns

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

So looking for correlation or otherwise between animal behaviour and model outputs isn't model output related. Got it!

You could try the Science/Nature part of the forum (if it's still there?) It's what the thing it was started for...God, we even talk about UFOs in there!

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

You could try the Science/Nature part of the forum (if it's still there?) It's what the thing it was started for...God, we even talk about UFOs in there!

Thanks, but I was interested in looking at comparisons with the model outputs and model output verification if and when it comes. Best all round if I just go back to being a lurker.

Posted

Enough horsing around...I like what Fiona tried and who knows the horses probably know the weather courses better than we do right now. 

In what seems to be the longest chase for cold ever let's get eyes down for the 18z bonanza.

Lets all Hope the models don't fall at the first fence....

Let's go....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Thanks, but I was interested in looking at comparisons with the model outputs and model output verification if and when it comes. Best all round if I just go back to being a lurker.

Why, you clearly know stuff...? I know that this forum is somewhat idiosyncratic in its workings, but you can usually find a section that suits you, eventually (it was actually yours truly who created the Science/Nature section, way back in 2006, in the first place!)...I can assure you that horses' weather-sensitivity is far from the most 'wacky' subject on the forum, by a long way...It's a darned sight more interesting than 9/11/JFK/Vaccination conspiracies and the like.

I am interested because I have a Natural Sciences degree, and anything that questions orthodoxy is, by definition, interesting...?

Up to you...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Disco_Stu said:

7.Say comments like, 'still in the game' and 'all to play for'. 

8. One for the 'street' that's come up this winter is 'it's all good in the hood' - always make me chuckle!

Posted
14 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

I think your post got brushed away at a time when the tone of the thread was negative to say the least!

Its a shame, whilst off topic it was friendly and thought provoking, if only you had waited till now, as your post  would probably fit in with rest of the off topic funny banter type posts now.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Why, you clearly know stuff...? I know that this forum is somewhat idiosyncratic in its workings, but you can usually find a section that suits you, eventually (it was actually yours truly who created the Science/Nature section, way back in 2006, in the first place!)...I can assure you that horses' weather-sensitivity is far from the most 'wacky' subject on the forum, by a long way...It's a darned sight more interesting than 9/11/JFK/Vaccination conspiracies and the like.

I am interested because I have a Natural Sciences degree, and anything that questions orthodoxy is, by definition, interesting...?

Up to you...

Well, that's the thing. I don't know if horses have weather sensitivity so it was interesting to look at that in conjunction with model outputs and model verification etc. I'm a former post doc research fellow in bio sciences in the field of xenobiotic metabolism and the feminization of male fish and how their biology and behaviour changes. I'm not talking about woo here, I'm talking about alterations in gene expression patterns. I ask questions, I look for links that are worth investigating and identify links that are so much marsh gas. Is there a link between horse behaviour and cold weather ahead of time? I don't know. When did I notice the change? Did the change happen at the same time as a model or models made a certain prediction? Was that prediction borne out? If you can't discuss comparing model outputs with model verification, how will you know which models appear to be more accurate and within what time frame? Can you even discuss what the weather is doing now and compare it to what the models were predicting for now 5 days ago, 10 days ago?

• Like 2