Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model banter returns

Paul

Posted

Patience is a virtue and you need it in spades here in the UK if you love snow. However, have a feeling (and no, it isn't wind) that things will gradually get colder next week before we go into the freezer the last week of January into early February 2019. 

• Like 1

Posted

I am going to Centre Parcs with the family next Monday. This tells me 2 things.

Either:

A) It will snow on Monday causing chaos on the motorways before raining once we get there.

Or

B) It won't snow at all.

Mother Nature waited for me to be in Tenerife last year before giving us 'The Beast'. She wouldn't be kind enough to turn our Centre Parcs break into a winter wonderland.

Edited by Spikey M

5 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

Either:

A) It will snow on Monday causing chaos on the motorways before raining once we get there.

Or

B) It won't snow at all.

Mother Nature waited for me to be in Tenerife last year before giving us 'The Beast'. She wouldn't be kind enough to turn our Centre Parcs break into a winter wonderland.

I'm off to the canary  islands next week so we will likley get a dumping then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold, hot sunny summer's and autumn storms
2 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Winter's over THE END :whistling:

Paul has his finger on the pulse this morning lol, posts disappearing quicker than the Arsenal defence :oldrofl:

Nah. I reckon its gona start from around then (22nd ish) going from all peeps who put proper posts up explaining the bigger pic. Im disappointed its not here yet but its certainly not the end. That much i do know

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm off to the canary  islands next week so we will likley get a dumping then

You can look forward to a cloudy 18c if it's anything like our break was then. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

If there is any justice in this world winter will be over shortly and us lesser mortals can gird our loins ready for the awakening of Spring. Hallelujah, Praise the Lord.

Is it even winter ?‍♂️? Feels like it’s still Autumn. Got that feeling that March and April will be more of a winter . Seems the way these days . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

If you cast your mind back to last year, it was always 10 days away then too. Until it wasn't, that is.

How dare you suggest that all those shouts of BOOM! Up she goes! She'll slide! Snowmageddon incoming! ECM is smelling the coffee!, and the like, were all a wee bit premature?

Talk about 'thinking the unthinkable'!

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Loads of busts. Except Spanish meto for Iberia. How did they know that AZH/ mid-Atlantic ridge (take your pick re what one calls it) would hang around?

It would certainly be interesting to know where they get their info from, i would have thought it would be be ECMWF group but it can't be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
21 minutes ago, knocker said:

If there is any justice in this world winter will be over shortly and us lesser mortals can gird our loins ready for the awakening of Spring. Hallelujah, Praise the Lord.

i think this winter will be right up your street, as in non-existent lol

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, knocker said:

Days are getting longer so we are on are way for sure can’t wait for the longer brighter warmer days ahead!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Does seem to have been a big haul to mid January .Not one snowfall here which is pretty rare.Hype a plenty after the ssw but things never seem to land.we have more push backs than a "chase" competitor this year!!!ready for spring really

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
9 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Generally snow falling in March is not going to hang about too long. I did see snow fall in early March 2013 that was still visible some way into April, but that was a legacy of the coldest March for 50 years and I've no doubt, the coldest first 10 days of April for a long long time as well.   But that's not the norm and remembering that it can stick around to that degree is like remembering that Winter 1947 didn't start until the last third of January.  It's possible to get the same, but highly improbable!

I can recall several decent snowfalls hereabouts in March to be fair, but agree it's atypical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
40 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

Either:

Or

B) It won't snow at all.

I can better this....

On the night I left Cumbria last year to visit family in Devon at end of Feb my location received its largest and most significant snowfall of the winter which I missed....

I was heading for Barnstaple which was forecasted over 12 hours of heavy snow and snowstorms in the famous SW winter event in last year.

We got nothing but light snow flurries with no accumulations as I ended up in a bizarre 5 circular radius around Barnstaple Bay area that was the only part of the south-west not to be hit by the snowstorm.

It was sickening, stomach turning and gut-wrenching.

That was the year I gave up.....and pretty much stopped following this forum. This most recent downgrade of potential snow has not surprised me one iota.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 hour ago, DCee said:

In a word, yes. If the trend doesn’t change by the end of January you can count on the continuation of HP and cold zonal continuing into February. I don’t include March as it’s mostly Spring and no good for those away from the north, I certainly don’t want cold then.

The SSW simply hasn’t delivered this time round, fingers crossed the models will pick up something before or soon after 22nd Jan but as things stand it’s looking less than 50:50. 

The long range ENS could prove to be useless and goes to show ow difficult forescasting is. 

The trends shows us the way and the trend is no cold for the UK. 

March 2018, March 2018, March 2018.......

I had 31cms of snow, a day time high of -1.3C on March 1st....... sorry You've lost me :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

I hope to God this big freeze starts at the end of January and doesn't let up until at least early May!

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Followed by 12 month of sun and 30 c

Nah followed by one of the coolest and wettest summers on record 

Posted
38 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

March 2018, March 2018, March 2018.......

I had 31cms of snow, a day time high of -1.3C on March 1st....... sorry You've lost me 

Indeed karlos here in Wales Tredegar recorded the coldest march day on record -4.7C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
5 minutes ago, coldie said:

Nah followed by one of the coolest and wettest summers on record 

I really hope not, summer 2018 was fantastic and I would love to see it again (minus the really humid days). 2007 was bad enough and that wasn't even particularly cool. God knows how awful the summer of 1879 felt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, knocker said:

think yourself lucky you don't live where i am...had snow since the first week of September..i was ready for spring by Mid November..doubt will see much green until mid late April though

Posted
1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

I really hope not, summer 2018 was fantastic and I would love to see it again (minus the really humid days). 2007 was bad enough and that wasn't even particularly cool. God knows how awful the summer of 1879 felt.

I actually didn't mind it at first due to the relatively low humidity, but after a while it just got too unbearable.