Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

*Christmas pudding - I meant christmas pudding. Strangest typo ever

m/e, ridiculous 'swear' filter, fine for swear words but for that, weird

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
46 minutes ago, Dave Kightley said:

15 years ago, today and tomorrow would of been classed as a cold spell with only 6c out side... It has been a chilly day! But as the big freeze has lifted our expectations, especially mine that it is no longer good enough..

Believe me a day with a max of 6c has never been accepted as a cold day in January and even more so 15 years ago - particularly if you live in the north or east when maxes average out near to 6-7 in January.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Chris Fawkes just presented the longer weather outlook on the “propaganda” channel. Mentioned Mild 12 times i counted. For the following week turning ‘cooler’. ....lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

Right you lot..... it has got bot all to do with the models..... what you need to do is ask M&S when they get their sandals in.....thats when the snow hits.

Seriously. Very long term watcher and still a novice. I love it when @Steve Murr takes the time to explain the charts. Thank you Sir. I am still learning. 

What i would love to see in a learner forum is today's models mapped against the history of 1947, 1962, 1987, 2010 at either end of that year.....sorry, sure i have missed some. Would that work????? Or just in general a real time learners forum

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
25 minutes ago, Nice Ice Babe said:

Right you lot..... it has got bot all to do with the models..... what you need to do is ask M&S when they get their sandals in.....thats when the snow hits.

Seriously. Very long term watcher and still a novice. I love it when @Steve Murr takes the time to explain the charts. Thank you Sir. I am still learning. 

What i would love to see in a learner forum is today's models mapped against the history of 1947, 1962, 1987, 2010 at either end of that year.....sorry, sure i have missed some. Would that work????? Or just in general a real time learners forum

Have you checked this area out? Lots of stuff in there  https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/40-historic-weather/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, Shunter said:

Chris Fawkes just presented the longer weather outlook on the “propaganda” channel. Mentioned Mild 12 times i counted. For the following week turning ‘cooler’. ....lol

Most of the TV weather presenters love the M word, they are trying to hypnotise us and turn us into mildies, I'm sure of it.....

"It's going to be mild, it's going to be mild.......Listen to my words, listen to my words".....

....and repeat!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
51 minutes ago, snowray said:

Most of the TV weather presenters love the M word, they are trying to hypnotise us and turn us into mildies, I'm sure of it.....

"It's going to be mild, it's going to be mild.......Listen to my words, listen to my words".....

....and repeat!

The obsession with mild is one thing, but has anyone noticed the apparent obsession with sunshine too?  Not one BBC forecast goes by without the phrase "get to see some sunshine" or "there will be plenty of sunshine" or variants of those being used at least once.  Are the BBC lot under orders to say the word "sunshine" as often as possible?  

Hope the moels show some promise soon.  GFS just past ten days out is starting to show some decent cold at least.

Edited by Mr TOAD
  • Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, Mr TOAD said:

The obsession with mild is one thing, but has anyone noticed the apparent obsession with sunshine too?  Not one BBC forecast goes by without the phrase "get to see some sunshine" or "there will be plenty of sunshine" or variants of those being used at least once.  Are the BBC lot under orders to say the word "sunshine" as often as possible?  

I would rather have some sunshine than tedious chilly gloom. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

New to netweather but always been a weather nerd (as my better half calls me) All i am seeking is the weather extremes and understanding them especially⛄. Can't beat it, sad really but they are so exciting! I have read many posts stating be careful what u wish for. . . . even sky weather and met office reporting severe cold ingredients, good chance of that high to sw buckling . Answers on a stamp pls lol47-19

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Looks excellent to me. I do worry a bit when I see charts like that for the UK. We have plenty of snow and sub zero temps where I am now but people are more used to it and there is more infrastructure to deal with it. Will be a bit chaotic if that comes off. But enjoy if it does. Meanwhile I'm happy with the way the current ECM is going. And a little something to whet your snow appetite too. 

ECE1-240 (4).gif

IMG_20190109_122454.jpg

ha ha so what! Bring on the chaos

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Daily Express headline to accompany this. ARMAGEDON HELL WINTER USHERS NEW ICE AGE. MILE THICK GLACIERS COVER THE NATION. -100 RECORDED IN CENTRAL LONDON

gfs-16-384 (4).png

• Like 6

Posted
34 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Daily Express headline to accompany this. ARMAGEDON HELL WINTER USHERS NEW ICE AGE. MILE THICK GLACIERS COVER THE NATION. -100 RECORDED IN CENTRAL LONDON

gfs-16-384 (4).png

giphy.gif 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

gfs-16-384 (4).png

I'm not liking the look of that, please can you tell me from which direction it's supposed to be coming from? I live in the bottom left hand side of the country, (the bit that has very little snow on that map). In 2010 down in that part of the country we had very little snow whilst the rest of the country had loads, sure it was cold but not particularly snowy, I do hope it's not going to be the same again. Can you offer any glimmer of hope that we may be included this time?

Posted

Obviously, lots going on in terms of atmospheric changes as a result of SSW

Many experts predicting cold into UK late January into February

At this stage, it's still difficult to see exactly how the pattern is going to change (heights to our NW) in favour of severe cold into UK!

How do we get rid of the Atlantic influence?

But, fascinating period of model watching lies ahead  :cold:

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
14 minutes ago, jethro said:

I'm not liking the look of that, please can you tell me from which direction it's supposed to be coming from? I live in the bottom left hand side of the country, (the bit that has very little snow on that map). In 2010 down in that part of the country we had very little snow whilst the rest of the country had loads, sure it was cold but not particularly snowy, I do hope it's not going to be the same again. Can you offer any glimmer of hope that we may be included this time?

TBH Jethro I wouldn't bet on it. The low pressure system is moving into Europe and warmer air is approaching from the Atlantic. Sorry. 

gfs-0-384.png

gfs-1-384.png

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Country wide snow (feet in places), blizzards, severe drifting , ice days, and 100% carnage on the roads and rail system. Especially hard hit in the East and South. 

It wouldn’t be melting the day after neither, severe frost (-15c in place ) once it all settled down and the LP moves off 

Better get stocked up on bread and water then (and gin)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

If the GFS para comes off then they won’t need drones to ground the planes, it will be all the snow that does it!

Posted
3 minutes ago, cobbett said:

There's just one problem with the para run this morning... it's not going to happen

Exactly! :wallbash: you know things are bleak when people get sucked into fantasy land charts and start thinking they will actually happen! 

Edited by Matty88
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, cobbett said:

There's just one problem with the para run this morning... it's not going to happen

This isn't a dig, it's a genuine question from someone who sees nothing but pretty blobs and squiggles on weather charts (it's all just gibberish to me) why do you think this isn't going to happen?

Posted
5 minutes ago, jethro said:

This isn't a dig, it's a genuine question from someone who sees nothing but pretty blobs and squiggles on weather charts (it's all just gibberish to me) why do you think this isn't going to happen?

Well its over 2 weeks away so FI  lala land  and the para is whilst not strictly an outlier, way below the mean

graphe3_1000___-0_12574_51_5085_Londres.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 minute ago, cobbett said:

Well its over 2 weeks away so FI  lala land  and the para is whilst not strictly an outlier, way below the mean

You still can't say it's not going to happen, unless the verification stats for the GFS Para at t384 are exactly 0%. admittedly it's unlikely to happen as shown, but there's still a slim chance that it will, and a slightly better than slim chance that something equally as good will. 

Until then, we'll dream.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, cobbett said:

Thanks. So it's a law of averages thing rather than a specific 'not happening because the purple blob can't go there, unless there's a green blob over there, and the pink blob disappears' sort of problem?

• Like 2