Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model banter returns

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

EC looks lovely to me..the energy looks on a one way journey to Europe..

Wedges make sledges !!

Wooden ones.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

I thought there would be more ramping over today's charts. Are most being cautious because it's still not in the reliable time frame? Or am I wrong for thinking we could be close to an absolute monster?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eastnorthwest said:

P V lemon to hints of a spit is very encouraging  and should now help build heights to our northwest in a week or two ,but in the meantime enjoy the gradual cooling zonel before the real fun begins 

It's still all good in the valley where the cow pats lay thick

??????????? hints of lemon? cow pats lay thick??  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
8 minutes ago, More Snow said:

??????????? hints of lemon? cow pats lay thick??  

I'm so glad I caught your post in the model thread before it got deleted 

Edited by MidnightSnow

2 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I'm so glad I caught your post in the model thread before it got deleted 

yeah the fun police are out in full force tonight.. joke really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

There’s no fun police - we are just trying to keep the model thread on topic. Believe me I don’t get much joy out of deleting posts at all.

This is why we set this banter thread back up specifically for banter, to avoid it derailing the main thread, which over the weekend became an enormous problem and ate into a lot of mine and the other Mods’s time trying to mop up. 

Anyone with specific issues about their post going missing or being moved please pm me or one of the team directly.

ta!

• Like 5

ok i get it that this thread is a serious place, but if somebody puts a post up that needs some banter etc as a reply what are we to do? i mean are we meant to be total robots devoid of personality? some times there are things that just cant be helped and i do think the mods could be a little bit more understanding.

4 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

There’s no fun police - we are just trying to keep the model thread on topic. Believe me I don’t get much joy out of deleting posts at all.

This is why we set this banter thread back up specifically for banter, to avoid it derailing the main thread, which over the weekend became an enormous problem and ate into a lot of mine and the other Mods’s time trying to mop up. 

Anyone with specific issues about their post going missing or being moved please pm me or one of the team directly.

ta!

so if something comes up in the mod thread that is condusive to banter what are we to do? there has to be some sort of give and take... sometimes things are to good to just let go and for sure we should be allowed to pick up on these things and have some fun with it. by all means move it to the banter thread but to simply delete is cutting out the joy and the fun of being here.

Posted
3 minutes ago, More Snow said:

so if something comes up in the mod thread that is condusive to banter what are we to do? there has to be some sort of give and take... sometimes things are to good to just let go and for sure we should be allowed to pick up on these things and have some fun with it. by all means move it to the banter thread but to simply delete is cutting out the joy and the fun of being here.

Gotta agree it’s been taking the enjoyment out of it lately. Way too serious 

• Like 2

Posted

There's a difference between banter related to the thread/models and just having people cluttering threads with any old nonsense.

It's not about being the "fun police" but making sure the threads are actually readable for others.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Anyone would think that mods are paid £350-a-day just for turning up? They are giving-up their free time, to help make this place suitable for all, so why not give 'em a break?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Look we aren’t going to please everyone. If it’s not working for you then that’s fine, perhaps take a look at somewhere else that isn’t ’overmoderated?’ 

All we are asking is that folks stay on topic. Nothing to do with egos, thick skins or any of it. When there are several hundred people reading and posting on a thread a derailment can be extremely challenging to sort out.

• Like 3

Posted

I think If I was to follow any weather person on Twitter Liam Dutton would be near the bottom - seems to tweet only about tabloid cold scare stories and not very insightful , towing the party line  5-7 day weather ahead musings which you could get from the beeb.

Come on Liam go out on a limb - what do YOU think will happen towards end Jan

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 minute ago, cobbett said:

Apart from the op those ECM ensembles look decidedly meh - hopefully a trendsetter ? ...

Not to worry, (the rest of the ens will decidedly catch up ?) me personally I wasn’t expecting the charts to deliver the output we’ve seen today until the end of the week tbh.....can it get better ❄️?⛄️? OH! YES

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

In my honest opinion Netweather is by far and away the best free to view weather website on the net. And if you choose to pay a small fee to upgrade it then it’s even better. 

The knowledge that I’ve picked up from it is invaluable to myself over the past 5 years or so.especially now seeing the absolute crud that the bbc and the like serves up.

just like any banter there’s a time and a place for it .If I want a laugh I’ll pop into this thread and if I want to try and further my knowledge of the weather then it’s over to the mod thread. 

I certainly wouldn’t like to be a mod at this time of year . Personally I think they do a difficult job well 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
46 minutes ago, cobbett said:

I think If I was to follow any weather person on Twitter Liam Dutton would be near the bottom - seems to tweet only about tabloid cold scare stories and not very insightful , towing the party line  5-7 day weather ahead musings which you could get from the beeb.

Come on Liam go out on a limb - what do YOU think will happen towards end Jan

The fact he so openly criticises the scare stories is excellent!  

I can also understand why many do not want to be so vocal about medium term models, not only because of how easily people can misinterpret stuff on twitter but also because they have more more of a following from the general public. 

Edited by John Hodgson
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Thank you @biggreyface Yes, it is a difficult job - especially when snow is on the horizon - and we do our best. I have to say I'm a little puzzled by some of tonight's posts and reactions. The thinking behind the two new threads has been explained and it seems simple to me to understand. As stated, mixing banter with serious discussion wasn't working. So we now have a Model Output thread for the more serious discussion, and we have a Model Banter thread where it's absolutely fine to chat, whinge, joke and not be so serious. We are only asking folk to get on board with that concept.

• Like 7

Posted

Just curious why my post was deleted? 

Posted
1 minute ago, CanadianCoops said:

Just curious why my post was deleted? 

Same reason mine was...it was derailing the whole thread.

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Same reason mine was...it was derailing the whole thread.

Except yours still shows, along with everyone else’s. Hey ho it’s all good. 

Posted

Night all. After all the bickering in here, this evening, I'm off to hear what shenanigans have been going-on in our esteemed House of Comics, today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
1 hour ago, Team Jo said:

Look we aren’t going to please everyone. If it’s not working for you then that’s fine, perhaps take a look at somewhere else that isn’t ’overmoderated?’ 

All we are asking is that folks stay on topic. Nothing to do with egos, thick skins or any of it. When there are several hundred people reading and posting on a thread a derailment can be extremely challenging to sort out.

This really. Whatever we did, someone wouldn't be happy. We're trying to provide the reasonable middle ground.

As a new mod, I had absolutely NO idea of the workings of a forum. The number of reports, pms, whinges, people wanting different things etc etc. It's absolutely non stop sometimes even with all hands on deck.

That said, I love this forum. I've been here for years and I've learnt loads and I think we're all, for the most part, a good bunch. We want to make as many of you as happy as possible. So when we ask you to kindly do things, it's for the betterment of experience, honest.

• Like 3