Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted

We finally have the ensemble graph breaking through the -10c 850 mark, and it’s the Op not a straggling Perb. Let’s see if it’s supported. The best part about it is we are t at extreme FI. Just one run though but still. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

We finally have the ensemble graph breaking through the -10c 850 mark, and it’s the Op not a straggling Perb. Let’s see if it’s supported. The best part about it is we are t at extreme FI. Just one run though but still. 

Doesn't really matter if it does not have huge support so long as it is within a few degrees of a cluster of runs. We've seen the ensembles trend strongly towards a colder operational solution in the past. Once a colder signal is picked up by the operational, it often leads the way.

Having said that, expect more bumps. Experience tells us that the operational won't consistently follow the cold path until a bit closer to the time ..

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

It isn't just one run. Even if gfs overestimates the LP, we have in our side 2 other scenarios which lead eventually to an Easterly/Northeasterly. And as you correctly said it's not FI anymore.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Looking at the Gfs 6z operational and indeed other model output so far today I would say..winter we have lift off!!❄️:cold:

All roads lead to snow, Karl...I must disagree with Dave (TEITS) about the lack of deep cold, as any 850s of -10 or below are deep enough for me; I'd rather that than -18 anyway!

image.thumb.png.89e1e64759f56b64977c9acc7fe242a4.pngimage.thumb.png.62c79f7e8d2d2f125ac588317114060c.png 

GEFS T850 ensembles for Suffolk: I make that 11 members ending between -5 and -10C:

image.thumb.png.7cf307beca9ad52feb5f8f7520c92848.png

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 9

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

All roads lead to snow, Karl...I must disagree with Dave (TEITS) about the lack of deep cold, as any 850s of -10 or below are deep enough for me; I'd rather that than -18 anyway

Most roads lead to cold Ed! As good forecaster never gives guarantees...

Longer range forecasting gives us probabilities; numerical models are deterministic and based on imperfect information and so are also probabilities. Yes, the probability is high, but there are still a couple of unpaved roads which could lead to something different. Fortunately, I think we are now on the motorway!

• Like 2

Posted

Hmm i like the parallel at 150 hours!!!wedge much bigger and atlantic low looks like sliding!!considering the parallel is meant to perform better than the normal gfs you would think it might have a better handle and prove to be correct but i guess it dont work that way does it lol

Posted
4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

GFS ensembles  all over the place with the low at 150ish   some have it sliding some not   best keep a watching brief.

They are going to be an epic set, some even earlier than the Op.

The mean in a week is very very good

8C4257AB-3EB8-4AFA-A1AF-D4ADBEA86EA3.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Most roads lead to cold Ed! As good forecaster never gives guarantees...

Longer range forecasting gives us probabilities; numerical models are deterministic and based on imperfect information and so are also probabilities. Yes, the probability is high, but there are still a couple of unpaved roads which could lead to something different. Fortunately, I think we are now on the motorway!

Good point, WF...I was getting carried-away. On my sledge of destiny!:olddoh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
17 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

All roads lead to snow, Karl...I must disagree with Dave (TEITS) about the lack of deep cold, as any 850s of -10 or below are deep enough for me; I'd rather that than -18 anyway!

image.thumb.png.89e1e64759f56b64977c9acc7fe242a4.pngimage.thumb.png.62c79f7e8d2d2f125ac588317114060c.png 

GEFS T850 ensembles for Suffolk: I make that 11 members ending between -5 and -10C:

image.thumb.png.7cf307beca9ad52feb5f8f7520c92848.png

Wait for the  06Z set Ed

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Excellent GFS06, loads of snow, especially for the north. Considering we have had only one day of snow this winter so far, the current outlook certainly looks very positive

Hopefully nicely aligned to give Edinburgh a pasting ⛄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

GLOSEA update is incredible! More or less off the scale signal for Northern Blocking! 

F1410BFF-3473-4337-9F9F-C9762183C226.thumb.jpeg.9c775c03d5c3e09257b913734ace2665.jpeg

Glosea=astonishing !!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Short ensembles   shows  the difference of how the perbs  predict the atlantic to behave .  quite a difference toward day 7-8

image.thumb.png.5c2565950a58faa493c09b5669b218ac.png

Edited by weirpig

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Sort ensembles   shows  the difference of how they predict the atlantic to go.  quite a difference toward day 7-8

image.thumb.png.5c2565950a58faa493c09b5669b218ac.png

One of my.main concerns is that the control and op both go the milder way at day 7 or 8 and they keep on doing that!!even though the ensembles go the other way as long as the op keeps on churning out the same thing i expect it to be correct in regards to that slider!!really gota see a change on the 12zs and get that low to slide a bit more and if it does game on!!what really ticks me off is that if that was vice versa and the control and op on that chart were the opposite and colder at day 7 and 8 and all the other ensembles were mild you could almost guarantee that the mild would win!!you can never win lol!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Nice Mean at +276

8A8F6562-821B-413E-A2FD-B97E8233A0E2.thumb.png.a2fae8023ea0e77bc8a0e65425b950a9.pngF3C2A25E-00DD-499B-B245-A8B3C964C16B.thumb.png.31d227f40de4c441708fa6bff00441bf.png

Some great GEFS purbs at +300 looking at the panels! Graphs going to look tasty!  

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3