Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, as I said yesterday, I can't see these much touted Greenland heights any time soon. All looks standard winter fayre and some people really are pveryutting lipstick on a pig with regards to current output.

Very much the point it's standard winter fayre at best. Nothing special or even properly cold. Indeed for Ireland it's a case of next please

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Let's not forget though that those real eye catching EC 46 anomalies were not until Week 24th-31st and the week after that.

Not trying to sugar coat the end of that run, but just a reminder that the period of real interest is still perhaps after the EC op timeframe.

Lots of changes though run to run so hard to have any confidence either way in the output. Part of the ride...

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

I do hope the ecm op is struggling Steve. If not, then??? 

It may be ( it may not )

The ECM 12z bias kicks in 144 onwards sometimes - so we need to see how mild the uppers are V the mean at day 10..

I would however always take short term colder trending than long term ups & downs when the volatility is high....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

A few snaps from the ops..

Regarding atlantic welling..

Diss-regard for a min the other out -ramifications..

On an-basic-raw/op- scale..

I think we know where we are going!!!

icon-0-180.png

UW144-21 (1).gif

gem-0-240 (1).png

ECM1-240 (1).gif

ECH0-192.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
25 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

The cracking thing is...

That we cannot now miss a spell..

Not snap..

And prolongment will become the talk soon.

ECH0-192.gif

I admire your unswerving optimism - rest of the run is not a big freeze up - when can we expect the models to jump in line I wonder? it has to be a nagging doubt that the models have the broad brush picture correct just occasional cold incursions - typical winter fair !

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

You cannot spin it as standard fayre-

London 850 average is -2c for Jan so thats about 6-7 below ave for the time of year...

88691388-9347-4975-BCF9-D3A9F774BFB8.thumb.png.60a326698b5d8addd24e2e57cfbfad49.png

Perhaps for your location

We got a foot of snow here last March from the last SSW

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, as I said yesterday, I can't see these much touted Greenland heights any time soon. All looks standard winter fayre and some people really are putting lipstick on a pig with regards to current output.

Greenland heights certainly are not the be all and end all in the early part of this upcoming spell, euro troughs equally important I would suggest example this starfish chart from GFS 12z T336 earlier

image.thumb.jpg.9f158f8cb647caa913efdf5a3912776f.jpg

If the long rangers are to be believed the Greenland high comes later - into Feb.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Yet again, simplest synoptic rule: cold canada, warm Euope due strong cyclogenesies

That's a german Autobahn on the atlantic, wild west at it's best

ECH0-240.GIF?12-0ECE1-240.GIF?12-0

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

How about show some charts to back up your broad statements, like the rest of us.... 

it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out a route to cold(er) from here.

Heights stretching out into the Atlantic and primed to ridge north.... 

16487699-21C7-4E98-B5C3-2F824EDE1BC6.thumb.png.cdf3974ce0728d0a7e2eaea23deedc73.png

How far north.....no idea yet...

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

Perhaps for your location

We got a foot of snow here last March from the last SSW

But the cold is rarely evenly distributed...

Anyway the ECM @240 only needs to slide further west for a snow event, but I do understand your frustration for Ireland as no polar NW flows this far this winter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
30 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

As last year taught me, good things come to those that wait! 

C67B1012-8121-4796-A19A-11CD530CD626.thumb.png.5fe3b7e0bc19a12d3b4ba78a046d31f1.png

Not hard to see a cold outbreak following that 240 chart  

Seriously how many times have we heard that this winter on the ecm post day 10 !?!...you'd think that would go onto produce maybe something similar to what GFS/p showing a few days down the line but too many variables at that range. On the face of it 198-240z nothing to write home about.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

London 850 average is -2c for Jan so thats about 6-7 below ave for the time of year...

88691388-9347-4975-BCF9-D3A9F774BFB8.thumb.png.60a326698b5d8addd24e2e57cfbfad49.png

Yes but even in an 'average' winter you'd expect instances where this is the case. A glancing blow of -8 uppers (I say glancing because of their limited reach), is pretty standard for January. Heck I even had 10cm of snow in winter 2007!

• Like 9

Posted

ECM May be cold early on but only has a dusting of snow. Day 10 is awefull, no other way of putting it. Let’s hope GFSp is correct and ECM is a mild outlier and reverts to earlier output tomorrow 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

But in an average winter you would still expect the odd colder shot?  as a whole, this winter so far is dismal and the output going forward shows a Standard colder spell, but nothing more. The odd day here and there of colder uppers doesn't make a freeze.

luckily anything inside t+168 would be a bonus. My understanding is we should still be looking further ahead.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

There is to much nit picking in here tonight! We should all try to keep it friendly. The models aren't that bad. Just need to respect each others opinion. 

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Seriously how many times have we heard that this winter on the ecm post day 10 !?!...you'd think that would go onto produce maybe something similar to what GFS/p showing a few days down the line but too many variables at that range. On the face of it 199-240z nothing to write home about.

That’s not really an argument though is it? The other half of winter hadn’t undergone a SSW.. That’s just a Kop out answer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s only the progged SSW effect that is keeping me interested. If it wasn’t for that, there would be very little in the models to get excited about. Far too much variability.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Well I think the ecm 12z was ok . What is all the doom and gloom ? It’s cold from T120 to T216 . It will all change by tomorrow anyway . Yes it goes a bit rubbish towards the end but it won’t come off like that anyway . And if it did end up like day 10 it looks primed anyway . 

62E0B22A-7CFA-41CD-A960-8942ED8EBB46.png

C3B6EC6B-7F1B-4347-B231-D5CEEA020DCA.png

921D32AF-B1F9-4255-AF40-B7A725B25E3E.png

73BCB08E-373D-4A84-AFEA-E591CBE937B2.png

872C42BB-9402-4E77-9D67-80C11EE2A812.png

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, Djdazzle said:

It’s only the progged SSW effect that is keeping me interested. If it wasn’t for that, there would be very little in the models to get excited about. Far too much variability.

Agree. If there were no SSW I’d be flying my flag right now. With the energy over NE Canada we would be screwed. But we do have a SSW and the longer range models are painting the picture not quite being seen in nwp. It will

• Like 2

Posted

Up to +192 hours I thought the ECM looked quite similar to its seasonal model output (which has done well so far this winter), with high pressure to our west/south west. Further ahead the seasonal model has a strong signal for higher than average pressure to our north west, so I wouldn’t worry too much that daily model shows something different and less favourable for cold. Plus the fact it’s so different to this morning’s update (unlike the very consistent seasonal model output).

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 7