Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

ICON 06z has moved back towards it's 18z setup with the low not separating as well come 120hrs. 00z was a good step forward but 06z definite step back again with the heights remaining more stubborn over Iceland.

Charts? I’ve yet to see any pictures to back up this negative implicit. 

Its coming across as deceiving and somewhat confusing to newer members. 

The weather in a nutshell is set to turn much colder with a risk of snow anywhere in the country in the next 5 days. Unless you can provide charts that suggest otherwise? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Charts? I’ve yet to see any pictures to back up this negative implicit. 

Its coming across as deceiving and somewhat confusing to newer members. 

The weather in a nutshell is set to turn much colder with a risk of snow anywhere in the country in the next 5 days. Unless you can provide charts that suggest otherwise? 

Look at Meteociel, its updates most models faster, ICON 06z only runs to 120hrs but its 100% out, take a look!

icon-0-120.png

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

While it's true that we can't guarantee an easterly that's unstable enough for snow, there's no reason to expect one outcome over the other. The presence of stratospheric downwelling offsets the usual climatology of ridges struggling to gain enough latitude to bring us vigorous convective streamers so the door is wide open for all manner of outcomes from benign to jaw-dropping.

Regardless of what happens with the easterly spell, odds are we then see a bit of an attempt by the Atlantic troughs to break through sometime around D8-D11, but there's a good chance it will be up against some cold air at least at the surface and possibly aloft as well, and - most crucially - the MJO movement back across the Pacific should take the sting out of the Atlantic before long. That could work out pretty well from a snowfall perspective unless, of course, the Atlantic never makes it in, in which case we likely see some exceptionally low temperatures instead. Experience tells me, though, that the low temps tend to prove harder to achieve than the modelling indicates at mid-long ranges, and the snow less so... i.e. it usually turns out less 'clean' with disturbances in the flow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

That's interesting.. other than gut feeling, do you have any charts to back that rather sweeping statement up? nowhere on this mornings output have i seen the ridge sinking over us in the way you are suggesting.

UKMO - nope

image.thumb.png.b9bab2b6881749547fd782c823b9f2cc.png

ECMWF - nope

image.thumb.png.64199ac67775b7eb1d9bc25ff649a266.png

GFS - Nope

image.thumb.png.f351a3bcdd995bbedf3fc3a79cedfee9.png

GEM- Nope

image.thumb.png.5c6f853e55fa2fab188cec4855d7eb42.png

Hi Karlos. You always reply to every post I make. Its a forum, many posters make a predication based on the output. The ECM at 168 and 192 today has a weaker flow from the east. At 192 the pressure the NE seems further south, pushing the stronger flow into France etc. That's how I see it panning out, just an opinion. No need to get so upset.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Singularity said:

While it's true that we can't guarantee an easterly that's unstable enough for snow, there's no reason to expect one outcome over the other. The presence of stratospheric downwelling offsets the usual climatology of ridges struggling to gain enough latitude to bring us vigorous convective streamers so the door is wide open for all manner of outcomes from benign to jaw-dropping.

Regardless of what happens with the easterly spell, odds are we then see a bit of an attempt by the Atlantic troughs to break through sometime around D8-D11, but there's a good chance it will be up against some cold air at least at the surface and possibly aloft as well, and - most crucially - the MJO movement back across the Pacific should take the sting out of the Atlantic before long. That could work out pretty well from a snowfall perspective unless, of course, the Atlantic never makes it in, in which case we likely see some exceptionally low temperatures instead. Experience tells me, though, that the low temps tend to prove harder to achieve than the modelling indicates at mid-long ranges, and the snow less so... i.e. it usually turns out less 'clean' with disturbances in the flow.

I think regardless of what happens with the easterly, there looks like to be a trend for the jet to keep spltting between 50-30W and this should help to keep us on the cold side of things regardless of whatever happens.

The ECM ensembles certainty hint at an attempt to break the pattern down BUT there is also a clear signal for heights to drop to our east again and for the flow to start swinging more to the north again. There IS a chance of the HOLY grail, AJKA a late December 62 set-up wit hthe easterly running out just as the flow bends northerly, end result is the frontal zone stalls out and huge falls of snow...Its exceptionally rare, but possible in this set-up if the stars align! (I've seen it maybe 2-3 times total on the archive charts of all winters since 1900!)

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catacol said:

No problem having a feeling - we are all interpreting the data for ourselves....but actually there is no model evidence for this interpretation at the moment. All ensemble data indicating the main height anomaly to the north and trough to the south. In this scenario, even if the high did drop a bit further south, we would still be very much in the general European freezer. Given the trend for arctic heights and ongoing impacts of downwelling ssw it isn’t also an interpretation that runs alongside strat teleconnections....and if you go and read David’s post from yesterday that very accurately sets out the next Pacific spike in momentum it would also fly against that forcing.

Most bets I think would remain attached to the UK being more under the influence of the trough than the block....though obviously north/south location will be relevant. This isn’t a pattern that suggests a sinking block. (For once....!) 

Thank you for your response, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted

icon-0-120.png?18-06 ECM1-120.GIF?18-12

For what it's worth, ICON 06z is very similar to ECM 00z at +120 and it still has the shortwave on the western flank of the trough by Canada that serves to re-focus the trough in that area rather than letting it move quickly NE and flatten the Azores ridge before it can make the link with the Arctic High.

That shortwave needs watching out for on future runs by the way; it won't help matters if it disappears.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Singularity said:

icon-0-120.png?18-06 ECM1-120.GIF?18-12

For what it's worth, ICON 06z is very similar to ECM 00z at +120 and it still has the shortwave on the western flank of the trough by Canada that serves to re-focus the trough in that area rather than letting it move quickly NE and flatten the Azores ridge before it can make the link with the Arctic High.

That shortwave needs watching out for on future runs by the way; it won't help matters if it disappears.

There is ONE big difference, and that is the frontal extension on the ICON just SW of Iceland from the shortwave, that is going to be putting pressure on any formative block and also keeps heights lower over Iceland, a key zone where the two LP vortexes seperate. As it is I think the ECM was probably only just a hit in terms of the connection as well.

Otherwise, they are very similar it has to be said!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Look at Meteociel, its updates most models faster, ICON 06z only runs to 120hrs but its 100% out, take a look!

icon-0-120.png

120 hours out. That looks pretty darn cold to me, and there’s heights building above the sinking low heights between Iceland and Scandinavia.

It paints a much different picture as what you have been portraying it to be in the form of text. 

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, shaky said:

Hmmm low pressure digging slightly further south in the atlantic on gfs 06z i think!!could be a beauty this one!!

It’s a little less amplified and therefore further east by day 4 - certainly not the correction that we wish to see 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

It’s a little less amplified and therefore further east by day 4 - certainly not the correction that we wish to see 

Interestingly having just done my high tech 'finger test (very high tech here!!) the LP is actually a touch further west at 96hrs, though there isn't much difference it has to be said. However it does look a little flatter as you say, so swings and roundabouts!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Seriously? On every run pre 96 you comment upgrade/downgrade all the time. Will you let it run it’s course until at least 120? The early nuances rarely have big impacts on the overall picture.

sorry if this sounds cranky, I’m tired and emotional!

All good dont worry!!ermm looks similar to 00z so far!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
7 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Seriously? On every run pre 96 you comment upgrade/downgrade all the time. Will you let it run it’s course until at least 120? The early nuances rarely have big impacts on the overall picture.

sorry if this sounds cranky, I’m tired and emotional!

Conversely, the pattern is extremely volatile within the 4/5 day time frame and will lead to differences thereafter and it is model discussion so why not comment pre 96? No malice intended I just don't see a problem!

Safe to say I think GFS 6z will get there, just appears to be a slower evolution. Less amplified as others have noted too!

Also the GFS is painting an extremely snowy 24 hours from T90 onwards.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Cactol has posted what I was enquiring 

Edited by winterof79

Posted

Trough isn't quite digging as well by 108hrs on the 06z GFS, and as BA said, the flow is a little flatter. Should still make it but that gap isn't as large as I'd like to see it in the mid atlantic. Will be interesting to see whether the HP sets up closer to the UK on this run due to it all being a touch further east again and flatter.

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

There is ONE big difference, and that is the frontal extension on the ICON just SW of Iceland from the shortwave, that is going to be putting pressure on any formative block and also keeps heights lower over Iceland, a key zone where the two LP vortexes seperate. As it is I think the ECM was probably only just a hit in terms of the connection as well.

ECM1-144.GIF?18-12

Based on current guidance, the shortwave I refer to looks more significant... in fact it also digs down west of the Azores as well, further aiding proceedings. A frontal extension is easily split by ridges building north in response to a supportive trough behaviour upstream.

BUT it is plausible that the frontal extension may consolidate its own small low, which we'd then need to see slide SE into the Euro trough. It'd be a classic drama-inducer as if it didn't slide it'd leave us reliant on the Arctic high drifting in the right direction (a bit risky!), but if it did, we'd probably see an area of high snow potential crossing part of the UK. I've been through enough of those in the past to know that you're right to keep a close eye on that area.