Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Looking beyond the imminent arrival of cold conditions next week, the following week could be even colder!   Just look at the way the models are predicting the conditions to evolve by the end of the month:

ECM   image.thumb.gif.4bdb3438c26ae6dd650743f53903baa9.gif   image.thumb.gif.4ffb4f5d20d7a7ee2d37c5e83f275135.gif

GFS    image.thumb.png.de6ef07feddd8a635e44c469a63910b8.png   image.thumb.png.832ea2e074d119f8643860bc9bf81f33.png

GEM.  image.thumb.png.62b7356c836c7353b3e93b447f4b6097.png.  image.thumb.png.2103d17c83e805564251a2a2ac640c0b.png

The ECM is showing exceptional cold for the 28th January.   If these conditions verify then next week is just the precursor to an even colder spell at the end of the month when disruptive snow might be expected almost anywhere in the UK...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

On a positive note. Best run of the morning IMO is the control run of the GFS, outstanding.

Nick S, I agree, I noted the ECM is quite close yo going totally wrong. The GFS ensembles also only just make it.. 

The ECM admittedly has a little less margin of error than last night although much better than the UKMO.

However if offered I would have happily taken this mornings outputs simply because we see more broader agreement developing . The way I look at it the envelope has narrowed so worst case is better than last night the good solutions are still very good.

Hopefully we can get solid agreement on the key timeframe tonight.

• Like 3

Posted

In a personal note, my disappointment at this stage is with Tuesday - for quite a while it was signposted on the ext ens and it had the potential up until yesterday to deliver a widespread snow event across the country 

looks like we have to look beyond this now although there is still time for it to correct 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

In a personal note, my disappointment at this stage is with Tuesday - for quite a while it was signposted on the ext ens and it had the potential up until yesterday to deliver a widespread snow event across the country 

looks like we have to look beyond this now although there is still time for it to correct 

The models always seem to overdo NW airflows for some reason, it's why I always add 1-2c to what the GFS shows at 850hpa, especially close to the backend of the front.

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes it does seem to be slipping away though not unsalvagable just yet. 

What would be really good is getting the cold in first before an Atlantic attack... ECM D11? 

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Always a long shot though because the angle, depth and track of the LP have to be just right. So little margin for error.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Very true. Bigger picture is excellent. Being a little bit picky this morning we could do with Tuesday’s trough just adjusting back a bit further west. The modelling of 850s may now be getting a handle on the depth of cold within the trough and the lack of ocean moderation due to the speed and angle of the evolution, but there is a marginality for much of the country that would be removed if the high to the west would surge ever so slightly more to the NW allowing the trough further west. 50miles would make a massive difference

In this regard ECM gets thumbs up for the longer term but a slight frown at 96hours. Hoping to see that slight change in the next run as the evolution coming won’t be easy for models to get accurate in microscale modelling until 24/48 so there is definitely time for adjustments.

Yeah good long term pattern but my alarm bells ring at 96-120hrs and the way the low comes so far east across the Atlantic. Many a good cold spell has come undone due to there being too much energy which prevent s any blocking from taking hold. Legitimate risk still.

Good news is the difference starts as soon as 72hrs so we should have a definite answer today or tomorrow, and signs are most models gave gone the right way this morning.

Posted

GFS still bringing quite a widespread snow event tues..

But i feel altitude will be key(no idea how much), uppers always  moderated by the Atlantic which is precisely why i ALWAYS favor an east wind to a NW wind..

on a brighter note latest BEEB forecast mentioning sleet and snow next week then an easterly..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Yeah good long term pattern but my alarm bells ring at 96-120hrs and the way the low comes so far east across the Atlantic. Many a good cold spell has come undone due to there being too much energy which prevent s any blocking from taking hold. Legitimate risk still.

Good news is the difference starts as soon as 72hrs so we should have a definite answer today or tomorrow, and signs are most models gave gone the right way this morning.

You don’t necessarily need strong heights to the North/ Northeast to achieve a significant snow event, as long as the heights are there. January 2013 was an example, and funnily enough January 1987. That actually happened during a +NAO

I cannot see any sign of zonality being modelled whatsoever. Even this winter, I would not classify as a true zonal one. More on the neutral side of things. 

If you want to see what true zonality is, then I recommend looking at the archives for years like 1988/89, 1998, 2007 and 2013/14. Thankfully the word “Bartlett” has not cropped up once this winter yet! 

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Which proves without doubt looking for snow beyond 48 hours is pointless and only leads to disappointment  

• Like 3

Posted

Perhaps I didn’t explain myself well - up until yesterday there was a good chance that the upper trough would drop down the west side of the uk - now it seems to be heavily favoured to be the east side

Broadly speaking

west side = country stays generally in continental air = low dp’s = snow

east side = country comes into Atlantic air = higher dp’s = rain 

wasnt looking at detail, simply percentage chances 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

EDM1-144.GIF?18-12   EDM1-192.GIF?18-12  EDM1-240.GIF?18-12

General thought for week 2, possibly that the high to our north east will decline as the next low from the north west probably drops south east on a similar course to the ones coming through over the next couple of days. So an east/north east flow for a couple of days which could bring snow showers into eastern areas before a more general band of precipitation moves south east through the country into possibly very cold air. The pattern looks primed to remain cold or very cold throughout with low heights in the Mediterranean being the constant feature.

Worth noting that the solutions keeping some weak high to our north east is perfectly feasible which would adjust any Atlantic lows westwards.

• Like 7

Posted

ECM control run pushing a breakthrough of the Atlantic by 192hrs, looks about 48hra faster than the operational. Should be interesting to see how it handles where the LP goes on the control run and whether we end up getting a mid Atlantic ridge come through afterwards.

Block holding through 216hrs, strong low to west but the jet still splitting just far enough west. Not all ensembles are as good though.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted

Why is everyone so upset? Briefly scrolling through the last messages and I thought all models has flattened the evolution like GFS P had been predicting

But GFS and ECMWF are still great. Still some eastern winds showing and plenty of potential

• Like 6

Hm. I think today's ECM run isn't as good as yesterdays. Today's looks like the ridge is having more influence on the UK, where it has moved (sunk?) more over the UK stopping the strongest flow from the east. Which in turn pushes the low pressure further south into Europe. I'm looking for a stronger ridge and up further to the NE. I have feeling the ridge is going to sink more on the next ECM run keeping the easterly flow more towards northern France. Therefore the deep cold being pushed further south into Europe. That's just my take on the way I think it will pan out. Europe into the freezer with snow, with the UK missing out with the ridge sinking over us. I think the operational run was cold outliner.

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, kold weather said:

ECM control run pushing a breakthrough of the Atlantic by 192hrs, looks about 48hra faster than the operational. Should be interesting to see how it handles where the LP goes on the control run and whether we end up getting a mid Atlantic ridge come through afterwards.

Block holding through 216hrs, strong low to west but the jet still splitting just far enough west. Not all ensembles are as good though.

I was surprised to see your comment  Because the control is quite cold 11-15 days ahead.

eps_pluim_tt_06260.png

• Like 6