Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
44 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

And at 240hrs the ecm has lost all heights to our North. Bitterly cold over England though with ice day likely. Scope for upgrades later.....We need them

Yes bitterly cold but there are heights to the north east.  However, and I’ve mentioned this a bit, the heights will be under attack but in our favour as the surface heights enough to keep the disruption and deflective angle of attack. Expect another arctic attack from displaced PV plunging NW/SE.  With deep cold over us and very low surface temps....l anticipate a very wintry scene towards months end....  indeed which could be on top of a pretty wintry scene beforehand.

This morning imo we have the best support across the board for a very cold outbreak to start next week....it’s getting close now

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, PersianPaladin said:

Yes, the trends continue in much the same way but as I said yesterday - the set-up is precarious and highly changeable within a short time-frame. I don't know about how the different models resolve the resolution of the upper-troughing west of Greenland or over N.Canada, but I'm suspect of this pattern. I think given the record in these situations, the extent of that cold air will end up producing sufficient cyclogenesis in the N.Atlantic to erode heights over Scandi, where quite frankly we need them if we are to have any snow except the SOUTH of the country. Too many a time have we ended up with a weak block collapsing over the UK with shortwaves over the top, flurries for the far SE and the main LOW heading off south towards Italy and Greece. I predict the same to happen in this scenario.

Only if that signal for the Euro trough disappears. The ECM almost takes it too far south, but this is no ordinary setup which we've seen in that past.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Of course not, just commenting on what I've seen. The ECM is great, but verbatim it's not that snowy...and could easily go wrong that's all.

One last time, ECM is GREAT this run! 

I have very little understanding of the charts, so I appreciate you pointing out what could go wrong, much better than everyone just ramping the charts and then it being a total shock when its not a repeat of 1947.   

I have no problem with people getting very  exited about good charts, but that means people must also be allowed to be down about poor ones or even point out the odd flaw in otherwise good one.   We could have a very boring 100% neutral thread, I dont thing ppl want that, but  if we are going to give emotional reactions to charts, it must work both ways, far too many of you are more than happy to jump on the BOOM train, but immediately criticise caution. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, WhiteFox said:

Only if that signal for the Euro trough disappears. The ECM almost takes it too far south, but this is no ordinary setup which we've seen in that past.

Yes, the evolution is different but essentially the same dynamics and rules apply in terms of cold-advection. I'm currently more interested in that Greenland low and to what extent it actually produces snow for the country. It might be more surprising than forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Yes bitterly cold but there are heights to the north east.  However, and I’ve mentioned this a bit, the heights will be under attack but in our favour as the surface heights enough to keep the disruption and deflective angle of attack. Expect another arctic attack from displaced PV plunging NW/SE.  With deep cold over us and very low surface temps....l anticipate a very wintry scene towards months end....  indeed which could be on top of a pretty wintry scene beforehand.

This morning imo we have the best support across the board for a very cold outbreak to start next week....it’s getting close now

BFTP

I think your analysis is spot on. If you really want a long cold spell which doesn't dry up you do need the upper high decaying to the east of us and to have a trigger low setup a Greenland high. IF we get lucky,  we could fr one cold spell right into another.

KS, definitely at stage 2. I have no doubt there will be snow, just the models at the moment are very sparse.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The latest Precip type update shows the band quickly fizzing out as it crosses into Central parts, snow risk fairly limited away from Wales/Higher ground today it would seem

nmmgif.thumb.gif.8e48ccd18323f4d3e2b0c1f7e174bfca.gif

Posted

Those who are worried about lack of snow - Models are not good at picking up convection and troughs in the flow from an easterly. With slack low pressure, very cold uppers and warmer than average sea temps there will be plenty of the white stuff!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
3 minutes ago, saintkip said:

GFS is cold but dry, gone from 16cm of snow to none on tuesday.

Don't forget the old adage: "Get the cold in first....."!

.... Once the cold air is established the snow is bound to follow ❄️ ❄️

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Those who are worried about lack of snow - Models are not good at picking up convection and troughs in the flow from an easterly. With slack low pressure, very cold uppers and warmer than average sea temps there will be plenty of the white stuff!

Its the initial front on tuesday thats lost all its snow.

Posted
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Outlier? I prefer the term trend setter ?

8097B643-A095-4893-A84C-F5999F6E3FCD.thumb.png.a7953ffa762ff2efa80de57e5951c905.png

Probably suggestive of an attempt to flatten pattern and losing the colder uppers to the south, that's what the means suggest by 216hrs anyway. The GFS ensembles do the same fwiw.

As suggested by others, may just be the transition towards a northerly pattern. That is what I hope anyway! Won't know till I look through though.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
8 minutes ago, saintkip said:

GFS is cold but dry, gone from 16cm of snow to none on tuesday.

It has a front crossing the UK, followed by wintry showers. Not dry at all.

Posted

Not to suggest that this would be what actually happens in reality, especially given those uppers over the North Sea, but you would imagine with higher pressure over our shores that cloud development would be somewhat limited in terms of height - and we see thus manifested in just some light streamers in the usual spots exposed to a NEly flow:

BE44C62F-F643-4847-865E-7E1CF043FA78.thumb.png.7e1cc0e80914906bb6de69fc591dd72a.png

This is, of course, all theoretical for now, and there are some other snow events across the NW as fronts attempt to encroach

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

It has a front crossing the UK, followed by wintry showers. Not dry at all.

The net weather forecast which is from the GFS has nothing for me now  for tuesday but had 16cm last night, I know that will change but a tad dissapointing

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, snowking said:

Not to suggest that this would be what actually happens in reality, especially given those uppers over the North Sea, but you would imagine with higher pressure over our shores that cloud development would be somewhat limited in terms of height - and we see thus manifested in just some light streamers in the usual spots exposed to a NEly flow:

BE44C62F-F643-4847-865E-7E1CF043FA78.thumb.png.7e1cc0e80914906bb6de69fc591dd72a.png

This is, of course, all theoretical for now, and there are some other snow events across the NW as fronts attempt to encroach

Totally agree, best shot at snow is right at the start when the flow is nice and cyclonic. Models maybe underestimating precip, but the ECM in particular has got enough resolution to at least give a decent idea.

Matt, yep I've also seen the models for a poor job, unfortunately bothbl ways. I particularly remember Feb 05 was meant to snow and we ended up with sleet and gales, horrid.

Anyways, 240hrs mean looks suggestiv of a northerly attempt. It's a weak signal but definitely there!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Still a long way to go regarding this potential spell.  Cool to cold in the short to mid term but the very coldest charts are still quite a way out at days 7 plus on EC and gfs

Although the overall trend is excellent the details and eventual outcome still to be decided.

The fact EC46 and the recent SSW are major factors in this does give me more confidence in the longer term, but you never can be certain eh! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1