Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted

Ha the GFSP makes a west based NAO in a quick shot, gotta love it, the para REALLY doesn't want us to have sustained cold does it!

Still, cool little LP developing to our SW about to end the cold shot with a bang on the para...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: See if you can guess
16 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Anyone noticed the worried tone and seriousness in stavs video forecast .

19012406_1718.gif

Sorry, missed that on beeb, do you mean Stav sounding worried & serious about cold weather for UK next week? 

edit: seems that's what it is. 

We seem to be almost there, fingers crossed.

Edited by Bruegelian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Bruegelian said:

Sorry, missed that on beeb, do you mean Stav sounding worried & serious about cold weather for UK next week? 

Yes, probably because he predicted NW winds not Easterlies yesterday, although tbf i'm not sure these days the actual presenter has much say, i know they are not allowed to change the graphics themselves, begs the question then whether there is any point in them having meteorological qualifications but thats another story.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

looking at the charts and how things are unfolding..i would be tempted to pop down the bookies and put money on a sub zero Feb CET if i was back home.

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Looks like Exeter have gone with UKMET model so thats quite a sobering moment for me...

Ramp put away til 00z..

They almost always go with their own output on the FAXES, so wouldn’t get too worried about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

CPTEC is a stonker as well as CMA

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cptece_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&carte=1&archive=0

image.thumb.png.6e6a64169094b86f8fb319db914b7f1a.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 7

Posted

As others have said its the speed of the low coming off the Eastern seaboard which could play a huge part on just how much amplification there will be in the Atlantic. I think it be foolish at this stage to rule out a flatter evolution as this could well happen and that could have negative impacts for any easterly.

Nevertheless some decent looking runs at times but its by no means cut and dry although from what i seen, easterly or no easterly we are on the colder side of the jet in the outlook and with a low pressure system coming down from Iceland bringing its own cold air then theres definately a snowfall risk there. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

The sun still has next to no strength in it, certainly i would always suggest mid Jan to mid Feb is prime time for a cold spell.

Im so hoping UKMO looks better come 00z runs...

Well the meto  long range models are forecasting easterlies in the longer term, whatever their  short range model is currently showing 5 to 6 days ahead so it will come round fully tomorrow I'm sure. 

Then we can all look forward to drowning in snow❄️

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 4

Posted
40 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Well the meto  long range models are forecasting easterlies in the longer term, whatever their  short range model is currently showing 5 to 6 days ahead so it will come round fully tomorrow I'm sure. 

Then we can all look forward to drowning in snow❄️

well latest News 24 forecast is saying at some point after Monday Mornings frost the fronts are gonna Stop and cause some sleet and snow, I assume that means its gonna bump into the colder air already in place and is gonna slow down. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Morning all

Hopefully a day of stability and/or upgrades ahead starting with the 00Z runs. Fingers crossed the UKMO edges closer towards the Euro today, as that's the only model worrying me at present.

GFS underway: GFSOPEU00_45_1.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
38 minutes ago, essexweather said:

Morning all

Hopefully a day of stability and/or upgrades ahead starting with the 00Z runs. Fingers crossed the UKMO edges closer towards the Euro today, as that's the only model worrying me at present.

GFS underway: GFSOPEU00_45_1.png

It’s looking like it’s going to be a stupendous run. Big easterly incoming on this one! Just watching them heights sink through the floor over the med is better than any legal high!! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

It’s looking like it’s going to be a stupendous. Big easterly incoming on this one! Just watching them heights sink through the floor over the med is better than any legal high!

Also note its now much snowier Monday into Tuesday... 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
12 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Was thinking the same, this could be an epic gfs 00z run. 

Also note its now much snowier Monday into Tuesday... 

So grateful to have you here at this time! I am a newbie who has waited up every night for the past week on these 0z runs. (And to my chagrin overslept yesterday and missed our 10min snowfall).

Watching this one roll out I am soooo excited but not confident enough to know I wasn't merely imagining it!!! Looks fabulous to my beginners eyes

Edit: Is this as good as it looks?

gfs-13-102.png

Edited by Mizzle
Can't spell and bravely added an image.
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

So grateful to have you here at this time! I am a newbie who has waited up every night for the past week on these 0z runs. (And to my chagrin overslept yesterday and missed our 10min snowfall).

Watching this one roll out I am soooo excited but not confident enough to know I wasn't merely imagining it!!! Looks fabulous to my beginners eyes

gfs-13-102.png

Yes thats the GFS quickly turns the rain to snow over the UK because of that wedge of deep upper cold 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

UKMO 0z still not fully singing from the EC sheet.  A bit better than yesterdays offerings but the trough over Europe drops quite far south, thus struggling advect any noteworthy upper air cold;

UN144-21.thumb.gif.0328615cdb49fe228c6ab3d1721feea9.gif

UN144-7.thumb.gif.b824c176a63dfba1c866a9fac4b2d297.gif

Like I said, a bit better but still room for improvements.

Just now, essexweather said:

Big improvement from the UKMO this morning, decent snow event moving South-Eastwards out of Scotland late weekend. This was all rain on yesterdays 12Z over lower ground in the South.

850s are generally -5 to -7c across the East and Midlands this run

144.gif

@essexweather

Do you get a 168 chart?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

@essexweather

Do you get a 168 chart?

Can't access from home

Toggling the run through 120-132-144hr its obvious the high is edging further in from the Atlantic which is not good. If the ECM delivers shortly, you'd expect the 12Z UKMO to push everything further West. Baby steps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
Just now, essexweather said:

Can't access from home

Toggling the run through 120-132-144hr its obvious the high is edging further in from the Atlantic which is not good. If the ECM delivers shortly, you'd expect the 12Z UKMO to push everything further West. Baby steps!

UKmo has the low to far East Need to keep that Hp away from us. Don't want a toppler. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

gfs-13-102.png

Haha! When you got runs like this morning churning out, with what seems like a trend forming to very very cold, quite a few of us will be up now! 

As Steve says, we woke up yesterday to delight and the same today... 

What is going on? This never happens!! 

We now have snow events entering the reliable 

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowice said:

UKmo has the low to far East Need to keep that Hp away from us. Don't want a toppler. 

I'm no expert but surely it wouldn't be a toppler, due to the low highs in main land Europe the high would turn into a scandi high pressure?

If I'm wrong if someone could put me right will help the learning process

Edited by DanBaynes
  • Like 1