Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, NL said:

I know where my money would be.

Europe is pulling ahead

Atmospheric scientists and meteorologists tend to agree about one thing: Europe is better than the US (and arguably the rest of the world) at predicting weather.

Weather models can improve in three ways. First, the equations that model pressure systems in the atmosphere can get more accurate. Second, models can better incorporate real-time weather data. And third, scientists can increase a model's resolution by taking weather measurements from more points around the globe. Europe is far ahead on this last one: it takes data from 904 million prediction points and has 10 times more computing power than the US does to crunch those numbers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/government-shutdown-puts-us-behind-in-weather-forecasting-race-2019-1?r=UK

Nice post!

I'm leaning towards the EC too, it handled the track of lows during the summer for the US far far better than the GFS did. I do think the Det is probably showing the extreme end of possibilities so we probably wont get anything quite that severe though I think blocking to the North is probably the way forward late next week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, beerandkebab said:

not relevant to my post Feb......I was simply putting the record straight as explained to me (and others) by a met office source 

Best you pm me with some info away from this thread. I stand by what I said unless you have concrete proof.

• Like 3

Posted

12z ECM operational ENE flow is VERY unstable, plenty of showers coming in from what I can see. The ECM won't have the resolution to see just how heavy, but th signal is quite strong on there I have to say.

Anyway lets see what all the individual ECM members look like.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

gfs_nh-namindex_20190117.thumb.png.0cf916c3a18dcdad63025f9c86162314.png

Touchdown.

GEFS mean AO values for 25th onwards around -2SD. CGEM +1 for the same time scale off 00z. Not sure what's going on there, but fair chance model is not picking up this downwell signal.

Yeah the GEM is doing a pretty poor job in picking up the set-up aloft, though it has to be said some ensembles are starting to pick up on the signal now at last.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Incorrect.  We don't yet know this for a fact.  I appreciate you might think I'm being deliberately obtuse, but new or inexperienced members might think that this is certain to verify, which isn't the case.  What this shows is that, if this model is accurate 9 days out (which is unlikely) we would have a cold NErly flow.

Aye...We can 'boom' day-ten charts to our hearts' content (I know I do!); but we can only 'boom' the weather once it's happened.

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
8 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

.  What this shows is that, if this model is accurate 9 days out (which is unlikely) we would have a cold NErly flow.

This is the model thread and thats what this one shows so he is correct - the fact that there are umpteen other pertubations of what might happen 9 days out is irrelevant. The ECM is not necessarily correct tonight, the GFS might be more accurate(although unlikely) - but that doesnt stop 150 people looking on here and posting on here because they are hoping the ECM is nailed on.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
4 minutes ago, Winter-Chaser said:

What chart is that please? 

850 temps for next weekend

• Like 1

Posted

12z GEM ensembles are moving colder on this suite of runs, still some big uncertainties but some great runs on there. some take 2 bites of the cherry but still get there in the end. GEM op run probably in the top 3 zonal runs by the way.

Posted

What time are the ECM 46 day model temperature anomalies available? Seem to remember last time people posting them a few hours before the sea level pressure anomalies were available.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, MattStoke said:

What time are the ECM 46 day model temperature anomalies available? Seem to remember last time people posting them a few hours before the sea level pressure anomalies were available.

Only available Mondays.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
9 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

sure looks cold on here!

DxIqieWX4AA6HF4.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Winter-Chaser said:

What chart is that please? 

They are 2 meter temperature anomaly charts not 850’s

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

As good old Frank Sinatra said, Ol` Blue eyes is back.....

ECM1-168.gif

ECM0-168.gif

• Like 8