Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

That would be the going up part of the roller coaster.

:oldrofl: Actually i think members usually skip that bit...... they just arrive at the top and it's all downhill from there 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
1 hour ago, markw2680 said:

ITS FI FOR A REASON! Did people really expect to come on here this morning to be greeted by the same charts as last night? Really, there will be upgrades and downgrades in every run between now and next week, don’t worry about it let’s get the cold here first before all the panic about a possible easterly 

And it's the same every morning lately then upgrades later in the day. So just wait a few hours

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
11 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Which neither the GFS or ECM show. Both models still support troughing into Europe which is the opposite of the high pressure which we saw over the past month. At 240 hours (beyond any sort of reliable timeframe given the uncertainty over exact details), the ECM shows this:

image.thumb.png.5e8613692efc66832ee00e7596665571.png

The kink in the isobars to the West of Ireland suggests trough disruption which would prevent high pressure establishing to our South. To further muddy the smaller scale details, there is another storm exiting NE US/Canada, so again amplification would depend on the track of that storm. Given that we still don't know how the energy will phase for the storm forecast for early next week, it is pointless speculating on exactly how any further storms will affect the pattern downstream. For now, the high remains in the mid-Atlantic with ridging attempts. The MJO is forecast to move towards phase 6 by around the 23rd, which is much more conducive to blocking towards the north, so chances should increase after this point.

A further spanner in the works is the handling of the Pacific pattern; yesterday showed a strong push of heights from Alaska towards the Pole. This is much less pronounced today which also suggests that we await further resolution in that area:

image.thumb.png.a397747f0a7baec2018f55b5e2ce42df.png

Post of the morning..thus far.

And contains everything-that is....in a nutshell

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, DCee said:

After years of watching models did anyone really expect the ECM not to back track? The GFS is a worthy model and compliments (balances) the ECM very well.

Absolutely, I kept away from here last night as the ramping was verging on hysterical. The golden rule of model watching is always, always wait for cross model alignment at T96 and then cross your fingers as it can still go wrong at that range. Not saying I don't expect to see some swing backs later - I've been around long enough to know how the drama unfolds, but it does seem to be a slow, blending out of any substantial cold as each day progresses, leaving us with a dose of good ol' fashioned PM air bringing its usual, standard wintry mix, so plenty to look forward to for hill walkers and those living in the remote Scottish Highlands.

Seriously though, as I've said before, while I'm not championing any particular model, as a Nescafé blend is always better than Mellow Birds, the GFS is definitely the picked on kid in the playground. It has a tendency to blow up LPs off the eastern seaboard and pump up the AZH for a reason; its modelling of the Northern Hemisphere profile is better than ECM in my view, which year on year can't resist producing HLB scenarios, that rarely come to fruition. 

Caveat; I'm not saying that there won't be further drama (there always is) but the now out of favour) De Bilt aside, the signs look ropey.

Edited by Easton Luna Boys
  • Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Which neither the GFS or ECM show. Both models still support troughing into Europe which is the opposite of the high pressure which we saw over the past month. At 240 hours (beyond any sort of reliable timeframe given the uncertainty over exact details), the ECM shows this:

image.thumb.png.5e8613692efc66832ee00e7596665571.png

The kink in the isobars to the West of Ireland suggests trough disruption which would prevent high pressure establishing to our South. To further muddy the smaller scale details, there is another storm exiting NE US/Canada, so again amplification would depend on the track of that storm. Given that we still don't know how the energy will phase for the storm forecast for early next week, it is pointless speculating on exactly how any further storms will affect the pattern downstream. For now, the high remains in the mid-Atlantic with ridging attempts. The MJO is forecast to move towards phase 6 by around the 23rd, which is much more conducive to blocking towards the north, so chances should increase after this point.

A further spanner in the works is the handling of the Pacific pattern; yesterday showed a strong push of heights from Alaska towards the Pole. This is much less pronounced today which also suggests that we await further resolution in that area:

image.thumb.png.a397747f0a7baec2018f55b5e2ce42df.png

This is still a major player in the ext period as part of the highly amplified upstream ridge/trough complex

index.thumb.png.c337463ae9787f9364759e953de51d0a.png

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Skullzrulerz said:

And this is why you shouldn't ramp one run and overnight it has decided to downgrade

Now hopefully it's just a bilp but to be fair the GFS even though it has been bashed to oblivion...it could be right so I wouldn't discount it 

To be fair as far as ECM goes it was 2 runs. 

• Like 1

Posted

Could be a better run this one!!more trough disruption at 114 hours across us and maybe looks a bit better across eastern us!!!more of an easterly flow across the south aswel!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Could be a better run this one!!more trough disruption at 114 hours across us and maybe looks a bit better across eastern us!!!more of an easterly flow across the south aswel!

It's a bit better upstream, but not enough to stop the pattern flattening on this run

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yesterday arvo's charts really got my inner-toddler over-excited; the overnight runs, however, have put the 'gurney old git' back in control. Here's hoping - for some afternoon stonkers!:santa-emoji:

Plenty of time, yet? image.thumb.png.1c862f0c79a522fef76adfb7749d7eca.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
50 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Just out of curiosity, what’s the reaction if the 06z shows blocking akin to ECM from the 12z of yesterday? :shok:

Means nothing if it changes again in six hours.

If we see consistency over 3-5day's of runs then you could have confidence in the outcome. They only time unfortunately that ever happens is when the models are showing Westerlies.

If it's cold you're after, then consistency goes out of the window. 

• Like 1

Posted

Hey Guys, I dont post too much in here, but i absolutely love this thread and wouldn't be anywhere else in winter.

Im not being funny but over the last few days i've watched the pages and pages of discussion, sometimes heated but generally cool, over the placement and track of an Lp which we now are pretty sure will come down the country NW to SE bringing a forecasters wintry mix nightmare.

So surely we are now in exactly the same position with the next Lp in having no idea till say the weekend whether the ridge and slide if any will go our way.

Cheers Chris

• Like 2

Posted

ECM ensembles seeing D10 as a brief milder uptick - upper air mean temperature soon goes back to between minus 5 and minus 6

It's all getting a bit wobbly now - it's all variations around a cold theme, but I'm expecting some minor ups and downs before getting into the "reliable" 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, knocker said:

This is still a major player in the ext period as part of the highly amplified upstream ridge/trough complex

index.thumb.png.c337463ae9787f9364759e953de51d0a.png

Yes, and indeed the ECM is trending towards that outcome towards the end of the 0z run. 

• Like 2

Posted

The de Bilt ensemble still looks quite good, haven't seen it this cold and with so little spread in a long time 

KNMI_expertpluim_De_Bilt_Temperatuur_201901150.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

The de Bilt ensemble still looks quite good, haven't seen it this cold and with so little spread in a long time 

KNMI_expertpluim_De_Bilt_Temperatuur_201901150.png

that's yesterday's I'm afraid

image.thumb.png.3d63f9b1c5b18a75422a203d7911d311.png

Still ok,but not as jaw dropping

Edited by karlos1983
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The 6z shows colder air over the continent and a little closer West than the 0z run...

418071779_viewimage(46).thumb.png.4a9e0652073f829f0a973242b310cbda.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

With so many posts every minute (without viewing this thread) I thought the ramping had moved up a notch, how wrong I was!...seems to be a theme when we do get an upgrading on the models in the evening (particularly ecm) the next morning we get downgrades this winter...still interesting model watching but it seems to have been generally like this since November with diddly squat to show, yes somewhat colder weather on the way but not to noteworthy for the foreseeable.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted

certainly a better run than the disaster of the 00z

00z v 06z

image.thumb.png.ca1da66ad8b5cb5714d639701b160613.pngimage.thumb.png.5cc9b8dd24ef7e23928db9357e69b1ef.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3