Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

The 6z increase in scatter is probably a good thing because the scatter has occurred in the -10 region which means that more members are bringing cold air to our shores, can't complain about that!

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Just been watching the Met Office live video. 

Regarding the ECM easterly in 8 days... currently assessed at around a 25% chance of happening, which is greater than normal for an easterly. 

It is one of the solutions, but not currently the most likely - they will assess the EC ensembles to determine the most likely solution and will be keeping an eye on it. 

Temps in Europe cold but not as cold as last year’s beast from the east. Nevertheless this scenario could still bring disruptive snow and significant windchill.

In a nutshell, more uncertainty than usual as regards next week, but ECM more likely  than the GFS

Fascinating model watching period coming up. 

Edit: ps no snow of note expected this week or at the weekend according to the video. 

Brilliant  Thank You.  seeing as we are earlier in the season  i guess the cold does not have to be as cold as last year   all looking good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

GFS back to the setup we have seen for much of the last 3 weeks. It's probably not that unlikely IF the upper pattern over the Arctic do give us a +very AO

Upper ridging does try but vortex is far too strong on the 06z, so we end up back in an upper high again over our shores. Closer to the ECM but still far apart.

I would say unlikely according to MET updates where NO high pressure is mentioned.

It's all over the shop

graphe3_1000_266_34___.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Iceland ENS looks a bit hmmm confused

graphe_ens3.php?x=&ext=1&y=&run=6&lat=63

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Just having a quick look in between flights.... If there's one thing that appears consistent is run to run inconsistency. 

So what do we conclude? 

Nothing is certain even at T+72 with the current set up. From what I can deduce it looks like being more seasonal that most of the winter so far, so let's all welcome that and hope for better output and outcome in reality. Almost nowcasting could become the flavour of the month. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
58 minutes ago, Catacol said:

...except that ENS data posted yesterday showed exactly this sharp drop. I was half way through a post yesterday that I chose not to put up - in case it was way off - suggesting that, if the temp gradient is correct, and we have a trend for modelling stronger ridges to both west and east, the trough could drop like a stone over the UK with not much time for ocean moderation of air and some pretty nasty wind speeds.

Every model's op run as of now has the trough dropping through the UK and into Europe on Tues/Weds. The upcoming pattern is looking more solid by the run to me...but the exact track of the centre of the low is going to be key when it comes. I think the MetO text language once again tells a story - covers every possible base. I'm not sure we will have certainty on the track and intensity of the trough until the 24/48 hour window given the range of options on the table.....from the slightly flabby trough of the GFS to the superstorm of JMA. Same direction - contrast in detail.

gfs-0-192.thumb.png.cbee009f4436d36a8d0e8d15b2259b55.png

J216-21.thumb.gif.4214f456126b1848ec9cebd87968560a.gif

ECM is best of all. Still signs of that slider scenario followed by decent trough to the south without the ferocious gales.....

ECM1-168.thumb.gif.d48f44f5fd900498e4ace66bf3d68e78.gif

ECM1-192.thumb.gif.e1a16117cd7f05a253b4f94afabec856.gif

More happy model watching

Hi Cat

I believe too and have championed that there will be PV displacement from NW to SE bringing main trough to Europe, like I said the Ecm end may very be where we go ....just I didn’t see the way it got there as being quite right.  But thanks for your explanation.

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
43 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Just been watching the Met Office live video. 

Regarding the ECM easterly in 8 days... currently assessed at around a 25% chance of happening, which is greater than normal for an easterly. 

It is one of the solutions, but not currently the most likely - they will assess the EC ensembles to determine the most likely solution and will be keeping an eye on it. 

Temps in Europe cold but not as cold as last year’s beast from the east. Nevertheless this scenario could still bring disruptive snow and significant windchill.

In a nutshell, more uncertainty than usual as regards next week, but ECM more likely  than the GFS

Fascinating model watching period coming up. 

Edit: ps no snow of note expected this week or at the weekend according to the video. 

Paul - cant see that video on their site. Do you have a link?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Paul - cant see that video on their site. Do you have a link?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
17 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I'm very interested to see what the 12z bring. Will the GFS move further towards the ECMWF or vice versa. Can the ECMWF repeat or get somewhere close to its overnight run. 

My main concern is I'm not sure we will have any members left to view and dissect the 12z, as they appear to have thrown themselves off the MetO thread cliff! I strongly advise against heading to that thread anytime soon if you are of a nervous disposition! Wowzers

Some good advise there @karlos1983

Stay- now within the 96 hr scope-12z onwards..

Then match/compare the formats...on large scale thereafter.= + that time.

edit...certainly via the raws.

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I'm very interested to see what the 12z bring. Will the GFS move further towards the ECMWF or vice versa. Can the ECMWF repeat or get somewhere close to its overnight run. 

My main concern is I'm not sure we will have any members left to view and dissect the 12z, as they appear to have thrown themselves off the MetO thread cliff! I strongly advise against heading to that thread anytime soon if you are of a nervous disposition! Wowzers

One thing you can absolutely guarantee is there will be no cross model agreement within the 96-120hr range, let alone 144+. GFS will come on board, ECM will jump etc etc etc....  

• Like 3

Posted

Note that Exeter use that fi ec op as a reasonable option for scenario B 

The gfs nnw vs the sunken trough 

looks like the nnw remains favoured for the time being but I suspect once they’ve checked out the clusters that may change 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, SteveB said:

One thing you can absolutely guarantee is there will be no cross model agreement within the 96-120hr range, let alone 144+. GFS will come on board, ECM will jump etc etc etc....  

I'm just enjoying the output. It will be what it will be, but it's not often we see such differences at such short time frames in the nwp world, so it is fascinating to watch.

• Like 2

Posted

Realistic wish list for the 12z, GFS and more importantly the ensembles move towards the last couple of EPS, but more crucially I want to see the UKMO come on board and look something like the ECM at 144, the dream pairing would be nice to have in tandem.

Too much to ask? Probably.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Note that Exeter use that fi ec op as a reasonable option for scenario B 

The gfs nnw vs the sunken trough 

looks like the nnw remains favoured for the time being but I suspect once they’ve checked out the clusters that may change 

Exactly..

I think its safe to assume..

There using stale/lagged data in that vid.

And we are likely 2 be (possibly) facing a different criteria...as early as today!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, SteveB said:

You know what will probably happen the GFS will climb aboard the wintry train and every will be buzzing . Then the ECM 12z will come out and jump fully of the train lol . Ups and downs or what . 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I'm just enjoying the output. It will be what it will be, but it's not often we see such differences at such short time frames in the nwp world, so it is fascinating to watch.

Agree, synoptic analyses doesn't mean praying for surtain local outcomes, at least for me, but having a tender tention for the next run to see changes in the systems and their results...

regards

• Like 2