Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
8 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

If you find it please share ?

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/england/m46_temperature-850hpa/20190128-0600z.html

I think this is it. If you switch to surface temperatures - minus 14 in Birmingham at 12pm!

(This may self update in a hour to the latest run) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

The ECM run is so different to yesterdays 12z run later on (as you would expect) that its hard to take any one souloution to seriously (unless you have access o the Ensembles etc).

My preference is for yesterday's 12z run but the 168 chart looks like it could deliver 
ECM1-168.GIF?15-12

• Like 1

Posted

It’s a confusing picture this morning! I wouldn’t like to write a 10 day forecast this morning! Can’t see much support from other models for the ECM Unfortunately.  GEM looks closer to GFS but ICON looks good...

B9EAC1F0-825A-42EE-BE1F-D5E1808DFDEB.png

800AB9A6-C7AA-4534-A6D1-B230FDFD9988.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s a confusing picture this morning! I wouldn’t like to write a 10 day forecast this morning! Can’t see much support from other models for the ECM Unfortunately.  GEM looks closer to GFS but ICON looks good...

B9EAC1F0-825A-42EE-BE1F-D5E1808DFDEB.png

800AB9A6-C7AA-4534-A6D1-B230FDFD9988.png

Meeting in the middle usually applies in these situations.

• Like 1

Posted

As I mentioned a few days ago the lack of proper heights to our North meant caution was needed. And so it appears to be the case as the models are all over the place and none show proper heights to our North (Inc ecm)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

As I mentioned a few days ago the lack of proper heights to our North meant caution was needed. And so it appears to be the case as the models are all over the place and none show proper heights to our North (Inc ecm)

ECH1-216.GIF?15-12

(Not saying this is what will happen, btw)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Very, very little support from the GEFS for the ECM Run

Support.thumb.png.0b500bcc0b7bcd6bee147d4d2eb18427.png

ECM Det has a fair amount of support from it's ENS with varying E/NE'ly from low pressure to the South or high pressure to the North. It's very much GEFS vs EPS this morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Icon brings some PPN in land

icon-2-90.png?15-06

Would be a sleety mix on low levels but anywhere 200m+ Midlands north would see snow I'd imagine. Would still be a mess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
8 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Wowsers, GEFS and EPS couldn't be more different in the North Atlantic through day 10. Some crunching of gears coming up for one or both of them soon.

Tempting to identify downwelling -U wind anomaly signal as the culprit here.

Hi Stuart

Did I read that the current forecast downwelling didn't occur so far down last Feb?

Like you say this could lead to new issues for certain models

Edited by winterof79

Posted

ECM a bit different to last night but its still following its 46 day model broadly. Have to favour the model that agrees with its long range charts.

• Like 2

Posted

Quite remarkable really to see the difference between the GEFS and EPS, been said many times before I know but I really don’t think I’ve ever seen such a stark difference in ensemble suites, there’s pretty much absolutely nothing like the ECM At day 7/8 in the GFS.

You’d back the ECM all day on this one, want to see the UKM back it up strongly on the 12z though to feel more confident about it

• Like 4

Posted

The UKMO hasn't changed that much since its run yesterday pm and its difficult to see where that will lead as the key period is post 144hr. The ECM certainly isn't without support - look at the GEM op and many of it's ensemble members as well as the JMA. The ECM mean is also rock solid. You'd have to assume the higher resolution models have a better handle on this and you'd be a brave person to bet against the ECM suite. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Weathizard said:

Quite remarkable really to see the difference between the GEFS and EPS, been said many times before I know but I really don’t think I’ve ever seen such a stark difference in ensemble suites, there’s pretty much absolutely nothing like the ECM At day 7/8 in the GFS.

You’d back the ECM all day on this one, want to see the UKM back it up strongly on the 12z though to feel more confident about it

EC is absolute king of the models at 168h though but sometimes even the king is wrong. I hope not this time

• Like 1

Posted

The ecm has shown a different outcome at 216hrs for every run. A lot of them showing cold solutions but completely different routes in getting there. I don't see how that tells us to have complete confidence in it being right this morning. You would imagine at least one model would support it. Not saying it's wron just maybe caution is advised until models converge on the way forward 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The GFS reminding us of New year resolutions to change this or that and looking at a myriad of amazing solutions to the uninspiring drudgery, only for the back end of January to see the 'safe' option settled on again, the bloated Azores High taking more than a passing interest in our shores.

The six pack and a clear path to early retirement has to be for others to prove possible first before jumping on board properly, I doff my cap toward you ECM and UKMO.

Posted
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

The ecm has shown a different outcome at 216hrs for every run. A lot of them showing cold solutions but completely different routes in getting there. I don't see how that tells us to have complete confidence in it being right this morning. You would imagine at least one model would support it. Not saying it's wron just maybe caution is advised until models converge on the way forward 

But you can take confidence in 216hr you just answered it yourself the majority led to cold solutions we are going cold baby.❄️

• Like 2