Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Here is an interesting question I’ve been thinking about.  

I recently read that due to the US federal government shutdown the GFS was affected when it was given a bad data format. Has this been rectified or could The shutdown  still be having an affect on it’s performance?  Apologies if this has already been discussed. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have to say i am not impressed with the outputs at all this morning from a snow perspective, big uptick in GEFS, small uptick in EPS, lowering of the GEFS members supporting a potential greenland high.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
15 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I recently read that due to the US federal government shutdown the GFS was affected when it was given a bad data format. Has this been rectified or could The shutdown  still be having an affect on it’s performance?  Apologies if this has already been discussed. 

The general rule of thumb is the less cold and less snowy  GFS charts are, the more likely it is likely to have been effected by bad data/ lack of data in a certain sector of at a certain time / the US government shutdown

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
29 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

So because he posted charts relating to a chance of a snow event in the North he should not bother? 

Should you not be posting this in whatever regional thread you belong to then as I am certain this is a thread that relates to ALL members from the UK and Ireland.

I'm not sure what you're talking about the main point I was getting at is that the chart posted does NOT show snow for most as it says it doesn't mean other models such as the Para don't show this.

This is a model output discussion and I feel I was making a perfectly valid point. I deliberately added in not to be IMBY and genuinely wish the northern members every flake they wish for. Not sure why you're trying to make out Im dividing this forum 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
10 hours ago, Catacol said:

I'll jump in here and say no. The Beast was primarily a strat driven event - it was visible up to 2 weeks away and was caused by the speed and extremity of the downwell. The vortex shard that could be seen tracking east to west pulled the trop with it - and it was all about cyclonic energy running the wrong way. The lesson of Feb/Mar 18 was that, when in full bloom, an effective warming bosses the pattern.

People have got very hung up on the route rather than the destination here this evening. Whether we get a full blown slider scenario or a more defined low tracking SE the trend is for a deep Euro trough to establish with a signal for heights to spike to the north once it is in place. This is where we are going - but will it be 3+2 or 4+1 in getting there? The models are really going to struggle with resolving the amount of energy in the Canadian lobe with a slow SSW downwell and a pacific pattern that still wants to work a meridional solution. 

Interesting  , I was at a meteorological conference earlier this year and someone was giving a presentation about European winters and ENSO. They concluded that La Nina winters see more blocking in the earlier weeks and El Nino winters later on. I then raised my hand and asked about SSW events and their impacts (given we had a weak to moderate La Nina last winter during the beast from the east). A discussion then followed where the meteorologists sounded like they were giving more credit to the marked MJO phase that occurred in early-mid February. For referene the MJO phase for last February is shown on the left with the current GFS forecast on the right. The forecast at the moment is for the MJO to remain subdued.

image.thumb.png.39abdd231fc83bd46bbfdca09ed80988.png image.thumb.png.abcb07c4c1f244e1f9d9fb21243b3217.png

Anyhow back to the more immediate concerns and the updated 06z swingometers for January 20th have now switched to a briefly anticyclonic picture in the wake of the slider. The coldest uppers would come from something in the form of P15. The PV looks as though it could ramp up to our NW which would blow the cobwebs away and make the slider irrelevent. If the PV did organise like it did in last nights 18z it would take some stopping.

image.thumb.png.aa4f580dae74a3a91994b4458ccb3ebc.pngimage.thumb.png.e557428def5a0c92487752a9613bebde.png 

Thankfully there are still some colder options in the ens although less so then the 06z yesterday. A lot of runs are cold cyclonic but not cold enough for snow which would make for some pretty miserable weather. P13 gets a good block going to the NW.

image.thumb.png.364d1072ff0ae13023f6564d3cb54e16.pngimage.thumb.png.101e819756525f8df60fded91461570e.png 

The ramp up of the PV is a bit of a concern for the moment, the global temperature anomaly chart for T168 shows some of the deep American cold filtering out in the NW Atlantic so I reckon a period of average to rather cold westerly flows may be a good bet. So we need a Scandi high or a high to the north to fend that off.

image.thumb.png.a35f0e0d91ffa4a9f170a07042b8a699.png

Finally with regards to the SSW I'm not too concerned yet, however if we are staring down the barrel of a rampant Polar Vortex around the turn of February I will be more worried.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I have to say i am not impressed with the outputs at all this morning from a snow perspective, big uptick in GEFS, small uptick in EPS, lowering of the GEFS members supporting a potential greenland high.

Just looked through myself and I agree with you. I was really surprised at how zonal the GFSP was. Still some hope within the GEFS but I just get the sense that the trend has not been good since yesterday morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
52 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

This prompted me to have a look around to see what's been affected. It looks like the National Weather Service has "excepted status" which means they have to go on working even if they don't get paid, it seems. It's obviously important that things like the radiosonde network are kept running, not just for the GFS but for all the other models which use the data.

This ECM article from 2015 shows how important it is:

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/newsletter/149/meteorology/global-radiosonde-network-under-pressure

When the Russian met reduced their radiosonde readings from twice a day to once a day, it had a significant effect on the forecast skill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

We really need at least a steadying hand on the 12z's but preferably an upgrade, or i can see this thing starting to unravel before its even got going.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

We really need at least a steadying hand on the 12z's but preferably an upgrade, or i can see this thing starting to unravel before its even got going.ng

It already has buddy!!!i cant see it changing much now!!compared to the snowfest charts we were seeing friday and saturday it just seems to have been delayed more and more!story of the winter really!!nice charts at 240 hours only for it to be flattened  closer to the time!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

We really need at least a steadying hand on the 12z's but preferably an upgrade, or i can see this thing starting to unravel before its even got going.

Well, my opinion FWIW   is that the azores high has complicated things short term, an unwelcome complication i might add..

The mid term is looking like Exeter have signposted previously with colder air from the NW, we ought to be looking to heights moving into the north Atlantic as the trough(s) head SE into Europe..

I totally understand the frustration to be fair - we have been in this long game for what seems like an age...

Northern areas with altitude could well be very snowy as we head to the last week of Jan..i appreciate that does not please many..

EC46 again will be important, im confident the signal will maintain.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

It already has buddy!!!i cant see it changing much now!!compared to the snowfest charts we were seeing friday and saturday it just seems to have been delayed more and more!story of the winter really!!nice charts at 240 hours only for it to be flattened  closer to the time!!

I agree snowfest chart operationals have gone, but there is such a big window of opportunity, the potential is still there for some sliders to give dumpings 25th - 30th and blocking to get going in feb, BUT, its got to start a shift back soon, its not  a hopeless situation, there are still a heck of a lot of ens members across suites that are still showing either cold or very cold, or the potential to become either of those two things, all i am saying is this - yes we always get downgrades in the run up to a cold spell, but they usually are replaced with upgrades pretty quickly, my experience tells me if we get another day or 2 of negatives then its time to worry, at the moment though, we still have a shot.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Can you explain what needs a steadying hand, and what might unravel? The models show a system dropping SE bringing wet and windy conditions with the potential of snow over high ground in the north etc?

• Like 1

Posted

My Weather App is calling for sleet in Central Suffolk next Tuesday. I can't see much more than that in the near future and the Models look like they may be about to bottle even that.

Edited by Spikey M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Lloyds32 said:

Can you explain what needs a steadying hand, and what might unravel? The models show a system dropping SE bringing wet and windy conditions with the potential of snow over high ground in the north etc?

The chances of a widespread snow event and decent cold spell between now and around the 5th - 10th feb.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I agree snowfest chart operationals have gone, but there is such a big window of opportunity, the potential is still there for some sliders to give dumpings 25th - 30th and blocking to get going in feb, BUT, its got to start a shift back soon, its not  a hopeless situation, there are still a heck of a lot of ens members across suites that are still showing either cold or very cold, or the potential to become either of those two things, all i am saying is this - yes we always get downgrades in the run up to a cold spell, but they usually are replaced with upgrades pretty quickly, my experience tells me if we get another day or 2 of negatives then its time to worry, at the moment though, we still have a shot.

Completely agree with this, very often you get a few runs that don’t look as good but then they start to improve again getting closer to the event etc

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, shaky said:

It’s been the same since the start of December with the models, the cold is always 10 days away,,,I keep getting shot down for saying this but it’s true and we are now mid way through January. A little cold blip coming this week though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1