Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
39 minutes ago, shaky said:

Dont know what to make of the ukmo!!dunno if anyone gets any snow out of that slider at all!!and gfs is still stubborn!!all the yummy charts back into fi again and everything flat!!give us a break!!

That’s because people take every run as gospel, the first slider was never really going to deliver anyway from what I can recall just a transition into colder weather.

many really good charts show up in fi and remain in fi, there really is no point looking further than say 144 imo other than maybe looking for a trend

• Like 7

Posted
57 minutes ago, shaky said:

Is this a good thing or bad thing for us

Ukmo would be better - less ridge means the pattern is further west

ukmo looks isolated though

extended look a bit flatter than before in the 12/13 day period ..... hopefully this isn’t the beginning of the relaxation in Euro troughing depth I was worrying about - if it is, then then any cold becomes less sustained for the southern half of the country - of course that says somewhere will be very dumped on !!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

A frustrating start to the day across NWP, the Azores high is proving to be a real pain. Everything too far east today, let’s hope for a correction west as the day progresses and some early hints of HLB.

A

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

UKMO/ECM/GEM all slide the low. Hell, even the FAX charts produced by the Met Office are sliding the low. 

The GFS is a step closer to sliding on the 00z but still doesn’t manage it, bizzare! Anybody still think the GFS is right?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

That Azores high needs to do one! Not helping us in anyway at all!the complete opposite! 

EC and UKMO still slide, but the ops not quite as good as yesterday for immediate cold prospects.

EC ens for southern England 

33F68E25-30A3-4CDE-B69B-BEA6330D93E6.thumb.png.1436b559c9b067267b510de46d75a150.png

• Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, Daniel Smith said:

UKMO/ECM/GEM all slide the low. Hell, even the FAX charts produced by the Met Office are sliding the low. 

The GFS is a step closer to sliding on the 00z but still doesn’t manage it, bizzare! Anybody still think the GFS is right?

It doesn’t really matter though Daniel ... it’s unlikely to bring any decent wintryness 

Its now about what comes behind it - 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It doesn’t really matter though Daniel ... it’s unlikely to bring any decent wintryness 

Perhaps, but it is of interest given the timeframes and the differences between the models re: the low even at 96hrs, whether it brings wintriness or not

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

For the vast majority it delivers nothing anyway so we're back to chasing the snow in plus ten days range.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Isn't some of this just the Monday morning blues? 

Seems to me, as I've said before the overnight run comes back with a more disappointing output which sets people's optimism back, but as the day progresses the outputs improve and bring improved prospects for cold. 

I'm not as skilled as many or as long in the tooth in model watching as a lot of folk on here, but I've never seen such a consistent situation with the 00z on pretty much all model suites giving less encouraging developments. Is there any explanation? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ukmo would be better - less ridge means the pattern is further west

ukmo looks isolated though

extended look a bit flatter than before in the 12/13 day period ..... hopefully this isn’t the beginning of the relaxation in Euro troughing depth I was worrying about - if it is, then then any cold becomes less sustained for the southern half of the country 

Yes, disappointing ext EPS (not terrible but trending less colder).  The core of the lower heights heading too far west meaning that the mean trough is positioned over Ireland instead of over the UK.  That allied with slightly lower heights than previously advertised in the Greenland/Iceland locale makes this set not as good as previous suites.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Isn't some of this just the Monday morning blues? 

Seems to me, as I've said before the overnight run comes back with a more disappointing output which sets people's optimism back, but as the day progresses the outputs improve and bring improved prospects for cold. 

I'm not as skilled as many or as long in the tooth in model watching as a lot of folk on here, but I've never seen such a consistent situation with the 00z on pretty much all model suites giving less encouraging developments. Is there any explanation? 

Yes, as we sleep we dream of a winter Nirvana and feel deflated when the outputs don't show such a scenario!  Expectation management is the cause!

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

For the vast majority it delivers nothing anyway so we're back to chasing the snow in plus ten days range.

Yes, everything looks to have shunted east again with the AZH looking ominous. FI remains firmly in FI. The wait continues. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Seemed to matter last night to many posters that the gfs was going to be correct yet 12 hours on its still on its own regarding that low.

Posted
27 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Seemed to matter last night to many posters that the gfs was going to be correct yet 12 hours on its still on its own regarding that low.

Delete

Edited by Johnp
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Yes, disappointing ext EPS (not terrible but trending less colder).  The core of the lower heights heading too far west meaning that the mean trough is positioned over Ireland instead of over the UK.  That allied with slightly lower heights than previously advertised in the Greenland/Iceland locale makes this set not as good as previous suites.

That was my fear wrt slight upticking in the graph at the end, thats how breakdowns always start and from experience, they rarely trend back, lets just hope that any uptick is just brief.

• Like 1

Posted

Very bizarre goings on.

The stand-off starts as early as day 3 between the GFS and the Euros . This hardly ever happens and it’s not as if the area in question suffers from a lack of observational data as might be the case in parts of the Pacific.

Putting this early drama aside there is better agreeement later on.

During that time the interest is whether we see a full blown low head se or whether more trough disruption occurs. I think the models have moved towards the former which is less good for snow prospects during that period as the cold will get mixed out ahead and it won’t be till low pressure heads sufficiently se before the cold can move back sw over the top .

A caveat here is that the behaviour of that low is effected by developments towards the eastern USA with a low which moves east ne from the southern states . The track of that could still change this far out .

The UKMO at day 6 has the more amplified solution there .

Earlier the UKMO looks like there’s a chance of some snow on the eastern flank of the shortwave which runs se at day 5 and 6 . 

So a lot going on , lots of early disagreements and still more chopping and changing likely .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Pure dynamics of the NH pattern pushes us towards that Euro trough around the D10-D12 range. It is how we get there that has always been the issue if we can squeeze some snow out of the pattern change, but even now the complex nature of all the interactions means low confidence. The GEFS have been chaotic and I assume there is entropy. With chaos we expect the models to be inconsistent and to shame GFS for being that is harsh. 

Without the wedges from the last two ECM op runs we see no disruption to the chunk of PV spewed from the vortex. This washes out the uppers so the chances of snow lessen at the D10 stage, especially for some areas in that flow, though academic at that range. The D9/10 charts should probably have a Health Warning as I suspect the ensembles reflect multiple routes.

Post the Euro-Trough that I am now interested in. The Canadian vortex remains a driver at D16 on the GEFS and mean:

gens_panel_bpv4.png

It is less confined, so the interaction of the Atlantic Ridge -v- PV should move towards a greater chance of sustainable HLB'ing.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
3 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Regards the initial slider, IMO, unlikely too be much of a snow event for the masses (possibly a bit of backedge). Worth reminding some that it was never really touted to be at that stage, if it does ending up producing a few cm away from the normal elevated areas, to be treated as a bonus.

Quick question though...

Why, when we all (surely by now) know that the models are going to struggle with the SSW and its subsequent effects on the troposphere, are we expecting, of all things, consistency!?

I come on this forum and read pages of people apparently in absolute shock and horror that the latest suite is wildly different to those of previously. Be it 'better', or 'worse'

No downgrade trend. Same entropy. Same potential. Just enjoying this evolve

Top post S4L.  Just let the cold unfold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
45 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

As I said over recent days , GFS cannot be totally discounted.  I believed that any heights over/near Scandi would be shallow and temporary 20-24 period...possibly the slider situation we see but wouldn’t lead to HLB as there would then be a PV displacement event with deep trough moving NW/SE around 24-31. So blending them together sees the way forward imo.

Strange winter this one, and relying on troughing on NW/SE axis to bring our cold has proven not helpful thus far...and I still can’t see any lasting HLB in the nearterm.  Let’s see if the trough really drives into Europe as that would bring plenty of wintryness with NE and E winds

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5