Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

My bet would be on alternating colder and milder interludes...just like the Metoffice have stated. This before a more pronounced cold period.

Seems like a good bet Crewe.

We at least know there will be some mobility for a good while yet, it all depends on whether we can stay on the cold side of any sliding/disrupting Atlantic lows - the devil is in the detail as they say.

Could be a damp squib until we get some proper blocking rather than transient ridges or we could get lucky and get a snow fest, the smart money would be on something in between.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

My bet would be on alternating colder and milder interludes...just like the Metoffice have stated. This before a more pronounced cold period.

A very ordinary build up to winter weather I would say.......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Just for context the 18z GFS low at roughly 216hrs would be the 15th deepest EVER recorded winter low pressure. Should give an idea of just how extreme the op is.

Synoptic extremes do happen occasionally, but they usually have a few more things going for them than we have at the moment...

Well we're going to see a densely cold profile of air cross the N Atlantic sector quite possibly at some point down the line. As Bluearmy says, it's within the envelope and remains a possibility, however unlikely. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Seems like a good bet Crewe.

We at least know there will be some mobility for a good while yet, it all depends on whether we can stay on the cold side of any sliding/disrupting Atlantic lows - the devil is in the detail as they say.

Could be a damp squib until we get some proper blocking rather than transient ridges or we could get lucky and get a snow fest, the smart money would be on something in between.

Generally the knife edge scenarios produce the most wide spread snow...battlegrounds with solid HLB and active weather systems bumping into it from the west or south as could be the case, as is the nature of the beast with SSW's anything could happen...... 

Edited by Mark Parsons
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Agree, although i don't think the mild periods will actually be mild as such, they just might mean a wintry mix so yes - some rain mixed in, btw the strat charts now (T0) do still allow a window down the line for Greeny height rise but you always seem to just get that bit of residual trop vortex which may push it more icelandic, i want  to see another beast long term but the reason i wan't to go the Greeny / slider route is i don't want to have the scandi high as last chance saloon and if it fails then there is nowhere to go, just feel that if we get a greeny, the fact that the strat split wasn't far and wide might actually eventually play into our hands as there might be enough forcing from the canadian segment to prevent what happened last year with an abrupt end to a stonking but short spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

LOL 18Z is  SNOWMEGEDDON  DRUNK.

Dont even know how to spell it lol..

Fixed that spelling for you @northwestsnow  Honestly GFS is on one this week. Not that any of us have a crystal ball but seriously the swings from run to run make even the Brexit negotiations look stable. Let’s see what rhe Para has to  offer...little change up to 96... potentially slightly less progressive?

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Look, I'm not saying this kind of thing will be instant, it's a slow gradual process, evolution and nature always is. The MODEL OUTPUT over the last couple of years in winter has been great, we have had some really exiting modeling. However there can be no denial that things are warming up, the evidence is everywhere. 

Sorry I disagree BIG time... so what's happening in EUROPE or the STATES eastern side nearly every yr... is GW/CC... sorry no chance, I'll lose my balloon knot before any of that lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

The gfs 18z op has not got a lot of support in the ensembles on the sliding low . In fact there are so many different options. 

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, ICE COLD said:

The gfs 18z op has not got a lot of support in the ensembles on the sliding low . In fact there are some many different options. 

No support from the GFSP 18z either. No point looking at these things though. The old and soon to be discontinued GFS can’t possibly be wrong, apparently

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well we're going to see a densely cold profile of air cross the N Atlantic sector quite possibly at some point down the line. As Bluearmy says, it's within the envelope and remains a possibility, however unlikely. 

I was wrong, it actually gets to about 925mbs. Making it roughly joint 7th deepest ever recorded such low pressure.

This is just the GFS throwing a ridiculous dartboard low again, it's 50mbs deeper then any other model out there!

The fact the GFS is making such a strong low suggests it's not seeing the same thing as the other models which make it boardline trash...

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFSp sticking with the slider

GFSp/GFS op

gfsnh-0-120.png?18gfsnh-0-120.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

To add to my post here are the first 10 ensembles. Can’t do em all 

F9571363-FC10-40BC-A323-861DBA889CE8.png

F1779B58-7557-4443-A4E0-227BCAC0BE9A.png

81561F4B-768D-41A3-968E-836BEC789FAE.png

15717586-5342-4C87-BE0D-5D504290F259.png

5F6DB92B-8248-4501-B934-DE503EC37CF0.png

B03EC628-CFE0-418C-83C5-8C0EC0857B6E.png

EF66E3FD-04C5-4469-ACB6-821418A277C7.png

ACF6655C-F23A-4345-9D48-A2BC6707F428.png

5D25463F-F19B-4DDC-AB16-85116453420E.png

9E415628-83D4-4DB4-8A36-9EF32BB0433F.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The mean at 168 hrs is FLAT

image.thumb.png.11286e01ed8e81473f3283d650b8d141.png

It is a bit of a downgrade, im more concerned about 210 onwards but that doesn't look as good as the 12z.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFSP at 138 is very similar to the 144 ECM

GFSP image.thumb.png.38ad7f71ba5405bc90f61e8b70ff0267.png ECM image.thumb.png.ce36ac5e24514435630656d25e64d71f.png

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

@CreweCold still think the GFS has the slider low nailed? 

A34053A4-5DBB-4990-A737-5024DF7CFF74.thumb.png.b490e30e1a4d345e4eb4ce43a31a1ed7.png

Regardless, i'm sceptical what difference it'll make mid term. Dirge mid term. Aligned to GEFS mean I posted. The interest will come much later than this-

image.thumb.png.97de9a16a7c87bc736f89ee80443bb1e.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The mean at 168 hrs is FLAT

image.thumb.png.11286e01ed8e81473f3283d650b8d141.png

Arguably So was the ecm.....

F202957D-DE41-4A62-95E0-3C0520EFA8F2.thumb.png.438dd251a0a6067b3f0842a35a360c8f.png

which ended at 240 like this

35A738FF-A5A7-4C5D-82AF-EF368E12DF87.thumb.png.a935b2aecb90ae9b879a62147d1b020c.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5