Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Tremendous stuff at 264

image.thumb.png.10b228030a012b62d4dcff1cd9928739.png

Leading to this at 300

image.thumb.png.487a48e89359c97bbe83ab36d5c4a9e6.png

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

GFSP bringing in another big northerly just before low res kicks in. Could be storm of the century actually!!!!

image.thumb.png.55c68f0e5e3ceb6c84a9a086cc2182a0.png

in all seriousness what would this chart actually lead to?? because to me that looks the UK would be in a lot of bother..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
Just now, bigsnow said:

in all seriousness what would this chart actually lead to?? because to me that looks the UK would be in a lot of bother..

I would guess anywhere with elevation would get severely buried, low lying areas to the south a wintery mix.  Happy to be proved wrong though! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Leo97t said:

Huge sleet drifts 5m high. Looks marginal... 

i asked for seriousness!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

GEFS 18z 

gensnh-4-1-348.thumb.png.7ab03e7e5718439ce8aea5b993b95005.png1113984283_gensnh-4-1-384(1).thumb.png.1d7d4cbf663a4cf9f81663e33996193d.pnggensnh-5-1-384.thumb.png.7f91aa11c64fc92bf86fcd34ed151f50.png   still to remain wary of the west based - NAO tempresult_yte0.thumb.gif.186581306d9a6b7452b0a2af9f499016.giftempresult_cfj8.thumb.gif.46b65be491bfd70d06400df1921d2788.gifgensnh-13-5-384.thumb.png.528da1034244109c861aa44c597e7508.png615683641_gensnh-15-1-384(1).thumb.png.4e6cd5549fc35d2a82fa03cfb5bc69b3.png     

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
3 hours ago, ICE COLD said:

GEFS 12z look good tonight feb as in there is more flat lining runs . An indication that it could be more substantial cold for longer , rather than fleeting blows ?  

2D740359-900C-453B-B337-0E5397FE3C9F.png

Just catching up on the model discussion pages. I take it the signs are positive with so many pages?! Out of interest what does the snow row go up to on this chart would you say 10 on the snow row= 50% likelihood of snow for instance?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
4 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Could do with system being about 200 miles further east so more of a direct northerly would allow less mixing of the airmass over the Atlantic still cold enough for snow with modest elevation in the south less height required up north probably need to be away from the coasts though. Temps around 0-3 north of Manchester 3-6 south of Manchester hence elevation required

• Thanks 1

Posted

so can i ask why it is that when a lobe of pv drops over the USA they get massive minus temps and endless snowfall but when a lobe of it drops over us we dont get the same??

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bigsnow said:

so can i ask why it is that when a lobe of pv drops over the USA they get massive minus temps and endless snowfall but when a lobe of it drops over us we dont get the same??

To reach us the frigid air has to travel across warm sea, thus buggering any chance of us getting anything like what they get across the pond. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
7 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Just catching up on the model discussion pages. I take it the signs are positive with so many pages?! Out of interest what does the snow row go up to on this chart would you say 10 on the snow row= 50% likelihood of snow for instance?

Yer think it’s 20 or maybe 21 . So yer 10 would be around 50%

• Thanks 1

Posted

The system travels over a relatively warm ocean surface to reach us so milder air can mix out the colder air aloft as it moves from north to south where as the states has no warm sea for the airmass to get to modified so cold uppers remain intact as it moves north to south. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

I've asked this before. Oceans modify the airmass, sure, but at that latitude ocean temps shouldn't modify to that degree.

• Like 2

Posted

thanks everybody... think i understand it now. but then how do we get cold zonal from the northwest as the bbc mentioned much colder weather from that area earlier today?? i know lots of questions but im just trying to get a grip on the charts and how they effect us etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I've asked this before. Oceans modify the airmass, sure, but at that latitude ocean temps shouldn't modify to that degree.

Depends if they are significantly milder than a landmass, and a landmass of Canada is far colder than an Icelandic sea.

Infact thats why they can get ridiculous lake effect snow in November. because the great lakes are still warm but the airmass is as figid as an Easterly in the UK in february.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

thanks everybody... think i understand it now. but then how do we get cold zonal from the northwest as the bbc mentioned much colder weather from that area earlier today?? i know lots of questions but im just trying to get a grip on the charts and how they effect us etc.

I'm also intrigued as to how the Arctic ocean can modify uppers more than a 2000 mile stretch across the N atlantic. Happens all so often. Yet we can get - 8s blowing across from Canada on a cold zonal flow. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

It can also depend on Sea Ice extents in the arctic circle but due to climate change and less sea ice compared to about 30 years ago the modifying is more extreme due to less ice over our side of the pole so the modification of the air mass is quicker. I think there’s a learning thread that bb62/63 posted in before explaining this in more depth.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Depends if they are significantly milder than a landmass, and a landmass of Canada is far colder than an Icelandic sea.

I chose to believe the UK is cursed  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

there is nothing to warm the airmass or any mountains to uplift the air its all flat land from the arctic ocen to the gulf of mexico

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1