Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
21 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

All my posts are about the general pattern referring to the UK . And flatter in SW France would inevitably mean flatter for the UK. It would be pretty lonely if I started up a France thread so I haunt this thread instead ! Lol

Unless I clearly mention my location then always take it that any of my moans are just in relation to good or bad re cold synoptics for the UK.

Your next question will probably be why am I bothered over the UK weather when I’m in France . Two things really your weather is a bit more interesting , and I empathize with UK coldies having lived there and suffered so many rubbish winters .

Always appreciated Nick. Newbies yet to experience your musings are in for a treat with the upcoming patterns I suspect!

Meanwhile, was looking for a latest MJO, but had trouble finding any other than yesterday. Does anybody know what the CANM is? 

IMG_20190112_102245.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
40 minutes ago, swfc said:

Not sure what some members are expecting to see on the mo atm.If your expectations include 09-10 synoptics regarding blocking imo you will be disappointed.slack areas of pressure"wedges"are suffice to direct cold and areas of low pressure favourably for the UK including decent 850s.For me looking at the nhp I don't see major blocking being the big player

Neither do I to be honest, at least not initially, although I think it will be the end result.  What doesn't seem to be on offer is a dry northerly with snow only at the coasts the further south you are, nor does it seem that a cold airflow but with high pressure so close or so strong that hardly any precipitation happens is progged by the models either.  

Trying to keep in mind the whole spectrum of model output without overloading the brain, what is on offer initially seems to be the high risk high reward scenario which may lead to marginal snow events almost anywhere.

As the netweather mantra goes, get the snow in first and the cold will come! 

But I'm convinced that high latitude blocking will be the form horse as we go into February.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, WhiteFox said:

Always appreciated Nick. Newbies yet to experience your musings are in for a treat with the upcoming patterns I suspect!

Meanwhile, was looking for a latest MJO, but had trouble finding any other than yesterday. Does anybody know what the CANM is? 

IMG_20190112_102245.jpg

Canadian model?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Skyraker it certainly does seem to have a tendency to develop deep areas of low pressure especially in FI I think it does this even more when it is uncertain probably similar to the current situation 

@WhiteFox it is the CMET: Canadian Meteorology Centre - Ensemble System http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/cmet.shtml 

some from the GEFS legacy 

360921839_gensnh-1-1-384(1).thumb.png.6804c653df9b29ceebc3855f5efc7dde.pnggensnh-10-1-384.thumb.png.ac37c04a3839c6a5deec4f4a6807b2ce.png1668744054_gensnh-16-1-384(1).thumb.png.b8fe08a447d0035fae68fe46df41c16b.pnggensnh-18-1-384.thumb.png.5b1930bb7096fbaffb67e611b44af680.png 

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

As an aside the -10 wasnt an outlier for London on the ECM 00z, infact the spread ( a few days later ) dropped as -14c

18DE02C3-0C72-4CC4-A50E-6E836FDA250C.thumb.jpeg.e13b8ad70f0b1e411a8f20434d4217f0.jpeg

Clearly there is opportunity for a frigid easterly to follow the dropping trough .... the evolution of the op is almost totally unsupported looking at the heights and slp at day 10

the dropping discarded vortex segment day 11/12 garners more support 

• Like 4

Posted

Also, need to keep an eye on the euro troughing .... as referenced quite a bit, this rarely sustains as long as modelled in the longer range .....people have already noticed the changes occurring on the extended gefs and Exeter’s 30 dayer smacks of a lack of Euro troughing suppressed far enough to the south to enable the whole country to stay in the ‘cold enough’ flow without significant incursions - we know the 46 looked ok so must be glosea which is less bullish here ..

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Also, need to keep an eye on the euro troughing .... as referenced quite a bit, this rarely sustains as long as modelled in the longer range .....people have already noticed the changes occurring on the extended gefs and Exeter’s 30 dayer smacks of a lack of Euro troughing suppressed far enough to the south to enable the whole country to stay in the ‘cold enough’ flow without significant incursions - we know the 46 looked ok so must be glosea which is less bullish here ..

Just to clarify blue, are you considering the possibility of the positively tilted trough slipping south west and weakening which could suggest various scenarios? The later clusters are not much help at this stage.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all

A degree of concern and despondency among the usual suspects because one OP run doesn't upgrade from the previous.

I thought the 00Z output generally was the best of the winter so far - excellent charts for cold and snow for many - and inevitably the 06Z has not looked quite as good and the worriers have come out.

As a contrast, I really like this chart:

navgem-0-180.thumb.png.5889464ee1896004adc0dc3de966e2a1.png

It's barely a week away.

Signs we will see the trough drop SE into NW Europe in about 10-12 days after which we have to hop we get the height rises either to the NE or NW.

One poor OP doesn't make a poor suite and there will be worse charts than this:

gens-21-1-300.thumb.png.b8a5a88a664c626b6600c5ca717177d6.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, tight isobar said:

Decent balanced post.

However-the dynamics between,phasing shout- drop and lock in...once we can resolve the infer...

Im going all out on a stark opening in the large scale...

With pressure punching opening up the pole!!!

And a 'steep' spill-of relaxed troughing..

Falling on ourselves!!..

And ignore the 850hpa signals ...until 72 hrs..

The polar sheild will drop like father xmas on acid!!!

@gift giving

-example.:

D7321806-58C2-4625-8A39-02271B7958EC.webp

regardless of the current output, and despite how volatile the current output seems to be, ANY post that contains the phrase 'Like father xmas on acid' get's a like and thumbs up from me (and I aint pleased easily).....absolute gem of a post TI ...LOL.....!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Hmm... there’s a lot of expectation that the MJO will lend a big hand by recycling through P6-P7, enabling HLB to set up, such that if anything the trough should shift further south. Early-mid Feb ought to be the first of the high points for UK freeze potential.

So I figure GloSea5’s not seeing that MJO contribution yet. At least not with strong support. Either that or it cycles it at breakneck speed! Hopefully it’s just a little behind on that; MJO doesn’t seem to be one of its strong points.

As for GEFS, as much as they see the MJO cycle, they also tend to move troughs poleward too readily so... we’ll see, but I’m not convinced.

Edited by Singularity
Timing Error

Posted

ICON isn’t the best start, Jet stream no where near as south.

Really hoping for a big upgrade from the 12zs in the shorter term, chasing FI has gone on too long!! 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

UKMO 96 looks more promising! Ridging looks better to me

125543EC-7FEA-4A81-8F77-5281BAAA8D9A.thumb.gif.f0cbfab0f1062c8780f9d425b2e06477.gif

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

UKMO 96 looks more promising! Ridging looks better to me

125543EC-7FEA-4A81-8F77-5281BAAA8D9A.thumb.gif.f0cbfab0f1062c8780f9d425b2e06477.gif

Agreed, next frame key though. That spoiler low is, well , a real spoiler 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Agreed, next frame key though. That spoiler low is, well , a real spoiler 

I’ll take that!!! Good start to the 12z

930C0E71-2CCE-45EC-8384-15C36B2900F6.thumb.gif.4f330faa978fffccedf1605dabe8aef1.gif

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

UKMO 144 very cold across the UK- the low sliding SE like 00z ECM

Shallow blocking to the North alligns the jet axis very sharp across the atlantic

54BCEA63-6908-4324-A94D-04456049368A.thumb.png.fba3529fc4567c400158606191455e1a.png

Can I ask what do you think the 850t would be? 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

UKMO 144 very cold across the UK- the low sliding SE like 00z ECM

Shallow blocking to the North alligns the jet axis very sharp across the atlantic

54BCEA63-6908-4324-A94D-04456049368A.thumb.png.fba3529fc4567c400158606191455e1a.png

GFS nothing like it!! 120 here.

34876268-C872-4ABE-9108-9C0D1275A131.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
6 minutes ago, snowice said:

Screenshot_20190112-160951_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snowice said:

-8C Scotland

-6C down the NE coast

-4 to -5c through the middle

-2c in the SW maybe...

Thicknesses for the midlands ~532 DAM

Could be a borderline snow event sinking south

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, snowice said:

I can answer that for you right now ranging from -8 in NE Scotland to around 0 further south west

UW144-7.thumb.GIF.5572271da082f369c16bbde9062a1646.GIF

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon people

Hope you all are well and having a good Saturday afternoon. It's been a cloudy day here in Walthamstow North East London today but temperature seems milder than recent days.

We are 12 days into the new year and our waiting goes on, but is there now some glimmer of a change showing on the horizon. I am firstly so glad that after having this annoying high for weeks it is finally going to give way to a more of a changeable pattern which comes as a big relief. I have been so annoyed with this high pressure and on the face of it a good several weeks of our winter have been spoilt due to this slug.

the change coming is something I was hoping would have come weeks ago but better late than never. This now leads to the big question where are we going to be heading from here. To be to the point (and to take into account I don't take anything more than 5 days away seriously) I would say we don't know what's going to happen. Even at this stage everything is up for grabs. On a positive yes there are signs that the weather is going to get colder and the wintry potential will increase. However to what extent and who will benefit is still to be sorted. 

From my heart ❤️ I am hoping that the Northery is a starter and as time goes on hoping everything falls into place this norrherly eventually becomes a northeasterly then the main easterly to fix a prolonged cold outbreak. Things will be flipping and changing but I think the next couple of weeks will dictate how this so far boring winter is going to come to wrap up. 

So peeps let's keep our fingers crossed and hope everything falls in place for our island and also for the desire to our hearts. Another thing that will be becoming a concern as time passes is that the days of winter are going past we need something to come to our rescue we are nearly mid Jan and sooner we know it will be Feb time will not be on our side as it is now or has been up to now. It's time to get a bit serious. On a lighter note once again it's a pleasure to read all the posts on here and I am so honoured to always see the regulars posting keep up the good work. We are all in this ride together and my heart says something special will come to us. I can hear the distance horn of the Siberian express maybe this one will be on time.

wishing you all a great evening take care for now heads up and stay safe. 

Our search for our winter wonderland continues 

kind regards

• Like 7