Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Looking good, the micro-details hardly matter - defo cold slider-potential - snow's a-comin!

image.thumb.png.385f95f7ee892b46d931e53cf01957eb.pngimage.thumb.png.090c4dc44efe45d99ace48bd5472fa70.png  

Unfortunately that’s low ground rain.  Only snow on high ground over northern hills.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Nice end to GFS op and shows the potential once the Canadian vortex discharges:

gfs-0-384.thumb.png.8a9e18d9814f960b3b2758c44b42a8d8.pnggfs-1-384.thumb.png.f734137737b191c1648f0d4cc14f5624.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The build blocks are in place...generally cold but with possible short-lived wetter, milder interludes?

image.thumb.png.d3ed8a4977f951d1eb1f4999467dfda9.pngimage.thumb.png.eed05b4f347e565aa9bb6b0f5fed356b.png 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

According to the eps clusters - the op fits this ??????

EF7B00E0-9070-4050-8D05-4364F8C94EEA.thumb.jpeg.f7405622690c6bc6d1fc472689963f39.jpeg 5D30CC45-B4B1-42C7-9675-BE76DCB9E114.thumb.jpeg.39f19d6a00b629a156ed5d1209ca3092.jpeg

That's why i am not a fan of the way clusters are generated, it will always be liable to computers only having artificial intelligence, i would rather actually have the mean of each cluster, rather than 1 single member representing it, that would iron out those situations.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
23 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You have to question what’s going on! I mean the differences between this run and the earlier GFS at day ten .

Yes it does seem that the GFS super computers cannot resolve the post SSW impact for the North Atlantic. Despite the positive signals all over the Strat & Trop, the reviving PV definitely seems to want to head home to its North American lair. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

According to the eps clusters - the op fits this ??????

EF7B00E0-9070-4050-8D05-4364F8C94EEA.thumb.jpeg.f7405622690c6bc6d1fc472689963f39.jpeg 5D30CC45-B4B1-42C7-9675-BE76DCB9E114.thumb.jpeg.39f19d6a00b629a156ed5d1209ca3092.jpeg

Illogical!

But overall the clusters were a good representation of what I saw on the individual members. 

• Like 2

Posted

There’s no denying the fact that the 850s atleast are down compared to yesterday for next weekend , -6 mean is now -4/-2. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Illogical!

But overall the clusters were a good representation of what I saw on the individual members. 

I guess if the op is the only member of 51 showing close to that solution then you either find it a closest fit or otherwise ........ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Illogical!

Think the purple border is the clue, indicates (I think) Scandi block pattern wider than the area you can see.

Posted

That gfs is different to the last one, especially in the mid range, but again, it fits general ens guidance and is worthy of debate and consideration as a way the next two weeks will pan out . 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Think the purple border is the clue, indicates (I think) Scandi block pattern wider than the area you can see.

Reds are high anoms mike  ........

sorry - see what you’re getting at but still doesn’t work, especially in the e Atlantic sector 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

GFS 6hz run looks a bit 2009 in the sense that the milder interludes are less pronounced the further north you go - during that spell there was continuous snow for most of Scotland from 18th December until 11th January. It's a risky game but these 'milder' interludes are what's often required for significant snowfall as the Atlantic moisture hits a cold continental air flow. The 6hz is likely a variation on the theme (that is, cold and generally blocked) so I wouldn't lose to much sleep over one run. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Reds are high anoms mike  ........

No I meant the purple coloured border to the Icelandic chart, BA.

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted

Ops are all over the place but it’s encouraging to see that all roads lead to cold and snow potential by 22nd!

just a reminder that when saving images of charts (on Android or IOS ) all you do is press and hold the image then select save, it will then drop the full image into your photos. That way it’s easy for members to follow which model, date and time you are referring to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's why i am not a fan of the way clusters are generated, it will always be liable to computers only having artificial intelligence, i would rather actually have the mean of each cluster, rather than 1 single member representing it, that would iron out those situations.

It is a bit frustrating that we don't completely get what's happening with the clusters. But we've had some great successes using them haven't we, like predicting the onset of the heatwave back in June. A good tool but with limitations, I think! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

The 06z Para sliding nicely at 180 to the west of us.

D8FEBC79-1AE9-40EE-A733-8C6A2B617E6A.png

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, bradythemole said:

The 06z Para sliding nicely at 180 to the west of us.

D8FEBC79-1AE9-40EE-A733-8C6A2B617E6A.png

Much better, UK cold from next Thurs on this model. Moisture could fall as snow for many. All up in the air though, STILL no 7 day agreement within the models 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ice Day said:

Indeed, to prove your point here is the 6z at 234 vs the 0z at 240.  All roads still looking wintery though!!

image.thumb.png.608a1d7faced516f9bdae7735a303bd9.png  image.thumb.png.b023a9fb033f7b713ef567ff613c2bb4.png

At the risk of becoming a bore.

Why are you or Nick S surprised at successive model runs 234-240h being not the same? Try checking the same run, yesterday with the one today etc.

Honestly you will get a more balanced view of just how the model is developing any particular theme.

• Like 9