Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
54 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

I know Nick. I always enjoy the reasoning you put into your posts and you are right to point out the pitfalls that could scupper things. It's just that most of your recent posts did seemed to fit into the 'we,re all doomed' category. Lol

Thanks . Did I really sound that miserable ! I was quite positive yesterday at times , perhaps you caught me in one of my more miserable moments! Anyway happy with the ICON 06 hrs run, there I’ve shocked you ! Lol

• Like 7

Posted
5 hours ago, SLEETY said:

he just contradicted his post anyway saying don’t second guess the longer ranger output,then basically writes off the chance of much colder weather by 2nd guessing the longer ranger output

? Not sure where I write off colder weather?? Lol.

Have made reference to a cooler polar maritime flow and then mentioned caution longer term (SSW or otherwise) as FI is still in FI

The train isn't coming until you can see the train...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
55 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Everybody is so obsessed about 7-10 days away all the time, yes I’d like to no how cold and will it snow too but nobody or no model will have a clue exactly how cold or snowy that far out so it really dosnt matter if it’s slightly better or slightly worse than the last run. We all no this but sometimes reading stuff in here is as if we think it’s nailed regardless.

people who come on here that really haven’t a clue and are just trying to learn must be very confused indeed from one to another 

some always looking for a breakdown before its even here

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

‘Loses the plot ‘ = goes against all known model guidance outside of its reliable period (both current and over previous days) rather than shows something we aren’t keen to see (as is sometimes posted on here )

i stand by my original post white fox  ......

Not the place for this discussion, but it is a possible outcome if we like it or not! If we assume that the information being input is perfect (which it is not of course), and the model uses exactly the same algorithms as previous runs (which it does) then it exactly follows previous model guidance. 

That is not losing the plot, it is coming up with an outcome based on the inputs; the rules of the model have not changed. The difference is likely to be the input data and the difficulty handling the particular dynamics at play in this situation.

We're arguing on the same side which is that we cannot make a judgement on a single operational run, and that the outcome is unlikely (albeit an unlikely possibility) due to the rarely modelled background signals...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
10 minutes ago, shaky said:

Gfs 06z looks even worse for the slider!!!if it slides from there i dunno what to think anymore lol!!

Could easily slide. Not hanging my hat on it though.

Screenshot_20190112-101337_Chrome.jpg

Edited by winterof79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
7 minutes ago, shaky said:

Gfs 06z looks even worse for the slider!!!if it slides from there i dunno what to think anymore lol!!

Any chance of posting a chart showing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Posted

Good gosh where has all the blocking gone on the 06z!!this is a serious worry man!!looks completely different to the last few out puts!!its close to pure zonality!!!i dont care if people bang on bout its the 06z its still a reliable run!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Much flatter in the Atlantic at day 5 compared to yesterday's run. Not good. 

gfsnh-0-132.png

gfsnh-0-156.png

Pants this run I'm afraid.

Next.......

Edit. We will still end up with a flabby low though I think and awaiting the next system to join it

Screenshot_20190112-102149_Chrome.jpg

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, shaky said:

Good gosh where has all the blocking gone on the 06z!!this is a serious worry man!!looks completely different to the last few out puts!!its close to pure zonality!!!i dont care if people bang on bout its the 06z its still a reliable run!!

The ridging to the south west and Atlantic is slightly stronger hence the low doesn't slide.shoudnt be a problem tbh going forward imo

Edited by swfc

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

There is something flattening the upstream pattern in the 5 to 7 day timeframe this winter. Not sure what it is but it's been happening all winter. So when days 8 to 10 work down to days 5 to 7, things don't look anywhere near as good as they did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, shaky said:

If you’re referring to the wedges then by definition, they are unreliably modelled until the modelling gets to day 3/5

there isn’t any blocking showing away from the Azores ridge in the mid Atlantic at a fairly low amplitude 

just another option that fits the general guidance (in contrast to the ec op) 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Here comes reinforcements 

Screenshot_20190112-102630_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

And for those just dismissing the ecm op out of hand, do so at their own peril. It very often leads the way when the other models still have their blinkers on. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

And for those just dismissing the ecm op out of hand, do so at their own peril. It very often leads the way when the other models still have their blinkers on. 

I don't care if it is on the money, i would rather it fit in with the ec46 and the general expectation but the 240 is still good, if we have to go straight for scandi high option without the Greenland or iceland or wedges option first then so be it, as long as its snow!!!

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Looks no worse than anything else this morning. At no stage have been looking at a very cold pattern but just perhaps some snow on high ground in the north. At least 26th before we see anything proper imo. Too much cold air over the states reinforcing the jet...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

dreadful gfs runhope the actual outcome is better this run is too flat againl

I would seriously wait until the end, looks like its going to be a stonker to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Things shaping up very nicely in the Atlantic...a northerly far more likely than an easterly which fits in with the ec46

GFSOPEU06_198_1.png

• Like 3