Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted

Cherry picking but imagine if we can get this Perb outcome by next Fri.

7A23A6F0-BF67-44AC-BE12-4B1E55C86BD3.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

GFS p still refuses to slide that low, doesn't look to have any support which is good.

Screenshot_20190111-172213.png

Posted
3 hours ago, Sweatyman said:

those forecasts are always hopeless. Keep that chart and show us again later !

I was talking about the downward trend in temperatures and upward trend in risk of wintry conditions. Not the specifics...

I am aware of the limitations of automated forecasts. Thanks.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

GFS p still refuses to slide that low, doesn't look to have any support which is good.

Screenshot_20190111-172213.png

Not to be discounted .....single eps cluster on that 8/10 day period tells me that many variables abound .....we sort of know where we’re headed but no one knows the actual route .........

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

That's a beauty.  Most of the trop PV to our NE, heights looking to link up over Greenland.  We'd start having to measure snow in feet!

Just one perb of one run.  Let's not get too carried away ;)

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

I am estimating a mean CET of -2.5 from day 9 to day 16 from the 12z charts (realizing this is speculative but that's what those charts would produce), certainly cold enough for snow by about the 22nd to 24th with the northeast winds. As the run ends, another Atlantic assault is mounting what looks like a high-energy slider, that could be interesting to monitor as it moves into range of later model runs. 

It was encouraging to see the GEM losing its zonal theme from the previous runs, and joining the consensus. 

As to what we consider reliable, I think when there is broad model consensus past day six, it's a lot easier to feel at least reasonable optimism (or pessimism) for an outcome than if you have a wide range or two camps. Also, with these arctic outbreak scenarios, I recall last February we were tracking a strong high moving very slowly across the polar region towards Franz Josef Land and that was inspiring confidence because there was a real feature in play, that had to end up somewhere, as opposed to scenarios where developments have to take place days from now.

This signal for much colder weather has been sustained now for about a week and is no longer being moved back every day or two, so that also begins to build confidence. There is such a thing as cold moving forward in model timetables too, we've seen that happen once or twice in the past ten years. 

The thing to remember about polar weather patterns is that distances from one longitude to another are very small and 20 degrees north of 80 N is, well, 80 N on the far side of the north pole. Some feature retrogressing through Siberia into Russia could take an age, but if it's moving from north of Wrangel Island and the other Siberian islands, it can appear very quickly north of Scandinavia. 

I'm thinking retrograde because the first half of February should see a peak in retrograde motion this winter, according to my research, and some analogue years include very deep cold in late January into February. If we can get this pattern to develop and begin a retrograde when high pressure is in northern Scandinavia, then a cold pattern could lock in for weeks. 

Is that a ramp roger

• Like 2

Posted

A less impressive set of ENS but still v good with some books, over to the ECM. Would love to see a proper slider 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
13 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Looks good on paper, but in reality would give rain/sleet in the south with daytime temperatures around 6 degrees.  Snow up north though.  I’m waiting for the real deal from the east!

• Like 1

Posted

GEFS is pretty painful to look at... especially for those in the north. Just shows how the evolution is anything but certain. 

On the other hand, excellent gfs12 run. GFS P12 also shows potential, that LP at T204 looks like it could sink into Europe and pull plenty of cold air in with it

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

GEFS is pretty painful to look at... especially for those in the north. Just shows how the evolution is anything but certain. 

On the other hand, excellent gfs12 run. GFS P12 also shows potential, that LP at T204 looks like it could sink into Europe and pull plenty of cold air in with it

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=55.9533&lon=-3.1883&ville=Londres

I'm not in any pain with this at all.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
1 hour ago, Weathizard said:

Bank

02645E26-A71E-464E-9CA2-7F3F1CB3CD96.png

Edit: absolute stonker sypnotically this

8A51ABDC-20BF-4090-8CC4-E425BA8F09AA.png

151B14A2-BC4A-4676-B9CF-0B7EB732907F.png

All I can say is, should that come off, Happy Birthday gottolovethisweather. Intriguingly, such charts have been replicated on several recent occasions at that timeframe of late, hmmm. Could it?

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

What’s the maximum number of trigger lows you can have within a five day period  ??????

On the GFS - 100

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
1 hour ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

I'm not sure we'll see any comment from the experts over the weekend on the BBC forecasts. If the likes of Paul Hudson mentioned something tonight on Look North I'd be astonished. That should tell you all you need to know in forecast confidence >144, especially without cross model agreement. Tis the holy trinity of forecasting. 

Snow is being mentioned in the media forecasts, in the mid to longer-range. Moreover, they quote it as "wintry weather", quite rightly so given it's at the realms of FI and the surface-level specifics (will it, won't it snow) are guesswork at that range right now. The fact they are giving mention of it hints to me, that the beginning of FI (where model divergence is rife and spreads are all over the place) is around about next Friday, so D6 or D7. All to play for beyond this timeframe as well but the first snowfalls will come through next week for a few of us and then hopefully the snow risk will increase further still into FI

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

Not a ramp, just a reading.

If you run the 850 mb temp loop on the GFS (at a high speed) you will get a good sense of how the colder air builds up in waves from a position north of Iceland, occasionally the source region comes into view, and it's clearly the Canadian arctic islands to northeast Siberia sending some super-chilled air across the pole. But running that animation also underscores the fact that this cold spell is generally pushing down through North Sea into central Europe with the odd twist of cold injections from Scandinavia joining up, and also that the Atlantic keeps trying to interact with weak injections of warmth (= moisture). That's fine as long as these don't manifest as liquid precip. But it would not inspire much confidence that southwest Ireland will get into the colder air very often, so a battleground scenario with sliders across Ireland into southwest England is implied. That works well for a lot of people interested in this outcome. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
25 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

we sort of know where we’re headed but no one knows the actual route .........

Sorry blue, cropped your reply there, but it’s a good quote.

Most models/ensembles now on board with colder conditions one way or another. Looking good with the polar front digging well south and cold potentially coming from the north - east and even the west/north west!

still lots to pay out in term of details but overall it seems we are slowly heading into a much colder pattern.

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

A less impressive set of ENS but still v good with some books, over to the ECM. Would love to see a proper slider 

You shouldn’t worry too much if the first low doesn’t slide . It’s not an essential part of the evolution between day 6 and 7.

As long as it clears se into mainland central Europe . It might just be a bit too developed and a bit too far east and displace any cold before the cold moves back sw wards as low pressure clears to the se.

The main thing is the high displaces nw and then we see the PV lobe over Canada get pulled nw, this will allow the high after to topple towards Scandi supported by low pressure to the se.

It maybe there would be further attempts at a slider low . 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Look good to me. Mean is sub -5 from 19th. Note that op run still on its own on 23rd, but if 18z continues the theme of possible sub -10 temps then expect some other members to start joining the club.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
25 minutes ago, Snow Grain said:

Looks good on paper, but in reality would give rain/sleet in the south with daytime temperatures around 6 degrees.  Snow up north though.  I’m waiting for the real deal from the east!

Blimey if it’s 6c in January with a chart like that then I think our winters will well and truly be over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
1 hour ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

I'm not sure we'll see any comment from the experts over the weekend on the BBC forecasts. If the likes of Paul Hudson mentioned something tonight on Look North I'd be astonished. That should tell you all you need to know in forecast confidence >144, especially without cross model agreement. Tis the holy trinity of forecasting. 

Yes - I am aware. 

Since when did local weather forecast a week away. All I was saying is that it is getting closer.

• Like 1