Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Looks like this suite has firmed up on the more cyclonic flow centred to our se rather than the wider spread of n, nw,ne, e offered on previous runs

there remains a lot of fluidity around the period post 20th given the upstream Canadian vortex pumping out and a euro trough which is never well modelled ...... with that in mind, whilst strongly optimistic for cold and snow final third of the month, pinning down a specific pattern at this range is a bit of a forlorn task 

A good morning for coldies Blue..

Trending the right way ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It was posted on here last evening ..........

we don’t need Matt to tell us ...... anyway, he blocked me on Twitter so don’t care what he tweets! Imagine that ..... blocking me ! 

He will be the one worrying about blocking over the next month when he has to keep making those forecasting nightmares wrt the travel chaos that will unfold.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
8 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Sorry to be a misery but I shall believe it when it appears at a sensible timeframe. Been here far too long and seen posts like above too many times.

i  continue to see a pattern of turning colder but not excessively so. Snowfall chances remain but will be very marginal because of the lack of deep cold. I still only see weak, temporary ridges of HP and not robust blocking in the key areas. If we are to see a change to the type of cold spell we are all hoping for, then we may have to wait until the very end of Jan into early Feb.

I think that's a sentiment many of us have learned to apply over the years TEITS certainly can,t taking anything for granted until comes within the reliable  timeframe, never the less I,d rather it's was showing bonkers cold charts than Endless zonality as we head into the second half ago a so far very indifferent winter

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It looks like Thursday will be the start of the colder feel in the south the London ECM graph goes from around 8c at noon on Wednesday to around 4.5c at noon on Thursday

78686.thumb.png.ba2d92f80571c7cc1fdd2d68c98a39f8.png

• Like 2

Posted

Things ramping up a little now for late month so expect some boooom charts coming into the Op and ENS more readily now - still thinking next Friday could see be a pretty big snow event somewhere with a slider, and possibly into the weekend. Eyes down for the 06z ☃️❄️

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
22 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It was posted on here last evening ..........

we don’t need Matt to tell us ...... anyway, he blocked me on Twitter so don’t care what he tweets! Imagine that ..... blocking me ! 

Never mind blocking you Nick, we need Blocking Greenland!!!

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted

Following on from Dave’s post earlier, despite several weeks of anticyclonic conditions, I am still to see a good frost!  the ground is fairly dry but certainly not particularly cold.  The old fashioned frigid spells tended to follow a cold dry period with frosts/fog.  This one looks like it won’t (if the trough sinks as currently advertised). So if conditions are marginal for snowfall then settling will be probably be an issue. Getting an early snowfall on the ground would be very helpful. MWB’s post re the eps members is helpful as it seems more colder members beginning to show their hand - caution on this as the entire suite could be skewed by that upper ridging towards Iceland sharpening the cyclonic flow to be more continental. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

All in all, a positive start to what will, hopefully, be another positive day's water torture...Roll on snow at Day 5!:cold:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

NetWx-mr take on snow possibilities next Fri..  Very good charts this morning for a cold spell to start back end of next week. 

1469455249_viewimage(33).thumb.png.7f1b0249fcdaec880c19d7f5b44f30f4.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

NetWx-mr take on snow possibilities next Fri.. 

1469455249_viewimage(33).thumb.png.7f1b0249fcdaec880c19d7f5b44f30f4.png

Id aim for 200m upwards. in the Peak district. One of those situations where its snowing and wet then suddenly as you ascend the hill, all turns white and your mind starts to think about the slippy descent after the crest.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Jet certainly taken-on a better orientation...all the better for sliders:

image.thumb.png.b28442212a36a8c66cde19c7c4551312.png

• Like 3