Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

This is a pretty cold chart for 192 from the ECM, but it looks so complicated and full of variables I imagine FI is nearer 144. I think it’s take another 24/36 hours to have a better idea on what is going to happen next Thurs/Fri. 

Yes, think we will need the weekend runs to get a firmer handle on things. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

ECm mobile again ..... was hoping yesterday’s op symptomatic of the higher res picking up a slowing flow but clearly not 

back to expected transition although that day 9 could easily disrupt more as it ticks down  

Day 10 packed with potential...again

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Don't seem to have moved on much in the last 24 hrs, still plenty of promise from ec46, but little signs from the operational and nothing on view you wouldn't get from a routine zonal winter....

BTW nice to come on here in the mornings to get a balanced view from members before the slightly biased members who seem to spend all day hunting for a cold chart get out of bed!

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 7

Posted

The ecm is ding what it gas done in the last two runs, That is amplify the subtropical high around T156 enough that the energy struggles to split it.

T156.thumb.png.8122d53caab753be2ce8573806a46ab0.png

From here to saturday the ridge hangs on with fronts struggling to move east with a cold pool developing over the UK and a widespread severe frost on Saturday morning. And through Saturday the energy and the front do manage to remove the ridge and quite possibly some transient snow along the leading edge but obviously at this range mere speculation at the moment;

T192.thumb.png.35b5d312b6b6dacdfecab905e9abc623.pngt210.thumb.png.7b14db727cf8e0cbe3772fc26b8de873.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, KTtom said:

Don't seem to have moved on much in the last 24 hrs, still plenty of promise from ec46, but little signs from the operational and nothing on view you wouldn't get from a routine zonal winter....

BTW nice to come on here in the mornings to get a balanced view from members before the slightly biased members get out of bed!

Hard to see how we're going to get a significant Greenland ridge in the near future. But in the EC46 we trust...kinda.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Lloyds32 said:

Looks colder but still transient and mobile. Atlantic High Pressure in control. 

Therefore an opportunity for lowland north and east to see snow imo. I have little in this initial game, a northerly, North westerly and even to lesser degree a north easterly rarely delivers for this part but if I was in the north or east I would be encouraged by the t144 output this morning. We, down here, will wait and be patient because we always watch others enjoy before we get our fun.

• Like 2

Posted

If the EVM isn’t a cold outlier we can assume late next week into the weekend is still looking good for the first decent snowfall in places, obviously if it’s warmer than many of the ENS the further that snow risk migrated south etc...The METO mention snow risk late next week so no reason to think we will be too far from the ECM at the worst!! 

• Like 6

Posted
27 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Very wintry ECM-

plenty of snow kicking about as well- more so for the North & East..

Looks very snowy across much of the north by day 10...

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Looks very snowy across much of the north by day 10...

-6 uppers should be conducive for snow anywhere above about 100m.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

-6 uppers should be conducive for snow anywhere above about 100m.

Iv'e seen the much derided EC snow depth experimental and it shows lots of snow, but west of the m6 snow shield fully operational..  (western north west England)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
25 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

Slider is a low moving NW to SE within a deeper trough, along a frontal boundary with arctic air to the northeast....

Thank you so much @Roger J Smith you are a ⭐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just looks like a higher ground event to me. Can't see any widespread snow at lower levels in the short to mid term output on offer this morning. Showing 5-6c maxes here, which is just normal for January. The wait goes on...

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not really what I was hoping to see this morning, but why buck the trend of morning misery from NWP... bloody hard work this is... UKMO is ok, but I’m not sure how prolonged any cold would be there, ECM is a bit of a mess really, GFS(P) still trying to figure out its gender. 

To coin a phrase..... more runs needed 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

One can only hope the commencement of these northerly incursions from around the 14th/15th will eventually lead to something more substantial in terms of sustained blocking. Can’t honestly say I find the wording on the latest outlook from the met service here to be overly interesting. This for example is how they see things panning out from next Wednesday onwards..

”Further outlook: A changeable more mobile Atlantic regime is probable, with damp or wet and windy episodes, alternating with drier and brighter interludes. Temperatures will tend to trend closer to average, with an increased risk of night-time frosts” 

• Thanks 1

Guest Delete Me

I think next week will see a brief / failed northern incursion that will set the tone for a successful attempt around the 21st

Posted

It certainly is a slow old burner.

Robust heights from ridging northwards has not and remains not a viable option for the foreseeable. We need the Arctic profile to fall right for us. It could and If it does, it could be spectacular. If not we may need to sit out the rest of January and put up with tranisent snow events, mainly confined to the hills. I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive cold plunge for North America though, come the final third of the month. Reprocussions of that could go either way!

Anyway, with the ongoing SSW and strat dispruption in general + likely Pacific forcing into Feb,  I just don't see a return to full on zonal mobile for the remainder of the winter. Plenty of hope for February and March. Each to their own, but I would happily take a repeat of last year please.

But for January, I will continue to put my hope in the evident model entropy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Ok that’s cleared a few things up at least.

ECM loses its way around D7.. 

southern England 

67530C4A-224E-440B-A9D1-D1BDA8486849.thumb.png.a3fd8d6f0fbbc0dad7da3c398b370646.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

We seem to have this long-lived Euro high on the ropes and hopefully it will be down and out by late next week. Attempts to revive it on some models appear a little dubious but never say never, I suppose. 

As for the cold regime, it would be nice to turn the wrench one more revolution, the thicknesses fall to acceptable but not astonishing values. Last Feb-Mar we saw values as low as 504 dm, and most would consider 516 dm the onset of severe wintry cold and snow guarantees for low elevations, 522 dm is fairly conducive to snow but with mixing issues near sea level in maritime flows, and 528 dm can drop snow on hills but rarely at lower elevations. So I notice that some of the colder days on GFS approach 520 dm thickness values, it's all a lot better than this mild Atlantic garbage (to quote a famous NW person) but we can hope for upgrades. The low now moving inland over northern Norway is unusually deep for a low tracking in that direction up there, perhaps it's a sign that events are moving a little faster than the models have sussed out and we'll see little nudges in the right direction later. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1