Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

I feel sorry for you guys, but I wouldn't expect any serious, longer lasting snow-events looking on this EC-Chart for lower mainland and coast-side

ECE0-240.GIF?10-0

Too much west'ly stuff, on low grounds this would be around 5-8°C... just wrong pattern...

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Vikos said:

I feel sorry for you guys, but I wouldn't expect any serious, longer lasting snow-events looking on this EC-Chart for lower mainland and coast-side

ECE0-240.GIF?10-0

Too much west'ly stuff, on low grounds this would be around 5-8°C... just wrong pattern...

Link looks excellent.

Cold easterly at day 10..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

Can we open an IMBY 1 please..

The very annoying...we'll get snow at my house nonsense has already begun!..

C, mon- its gonna come down 2 microscale...as per on our maritime island..with the slightest tweak/adjust..having massive ramifications....

Gets my goat something bad!!!!

Agreed! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

C, mon- its gonna come down 2 microscale...as per on our maritime island..with the slightest tweak/adjust..having massive ramifications....

Agree with this. Haven’t we already got imby threads? You know the regional threads? 

• Like 8

Posted

And what about dew points? Are they irrelative?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning and Snow
4 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

We already have IMBY forums. That's what the regional forums are for. But I agree.

• Like 1

Posted

6 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

C, mon- its gonna come down 2 microscale...as per on our maritime island..

That sums up every UK Winter. We are a maritime island; hence big N Hemphishere weather/atmospheric events can sometimes bypass our little entity of islands. Dont forget the Gulf stream.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Link looks excellent.

Cold easterly at day 10..

Day time temperatures range from 0-3 degrees  snow level at around 400ft  according to the ecm    so his temperatures are way over   however too far out to be splitting hairs

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

Day time temperatures range from 0-3 degrees  snow level at around 400ft    so his temperatures are way over   however too far out to be splitting hairs

Yes i expected it to be cold..

Posted
1 minute ago, ICE COLD said:

This chart here would not be 5 to 8 degrees BED8D4BB-D47F-40A8-8F3A-BBF67C0A7C57.thumb.png.19257a44a343b53e854ddb5aaf31c255.png

For the majority , especially eastern side of the country your looking at 1 to 4 degrees maybe lower .

Also an easterly flow, so DP’s would be sub zero. Not an issue for wintry ppn on that chart other than the lack of ppn lol

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

This chart here would not be 5 to 8 degrees BED8D4BB-D47F-40A8-8F3A-BBF67C0A7C57.thumb.png.19257a44a343b53e854ddb5aaf31c255.png

For the majority , especially eastern side of the country your looking at 1 to 4 degrees maybe lower .

Bulk standard daytime temps for late Jan. Colder than that in balmy Bristol early March 2018 (minus 2c at 2.00pm).

Posted
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

It’s the 10th jan and we are talking about dew points for 20th jan....really? 

No snow at pos dewpoints and pos 2m .. there where alot of posts here for possible snow, so I find it legitim to mention, that the parameters don't talk for snow... or am I wrong? It's been a bit too enthusiatic... but thtas just my opinion, I may be wrong... I don't know your microclima in surtain parts of UK, but I see those +°C, those are rookie numbers for snow... In Germany we normaly need min -8°C in 850hpa for snowfall wich will deploy a durable snow cover... If hours lasting snowfall in morning hours is you goal to reach, than don't take me too serious...

best regards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Radiating Dendrite said:

Are you just here to wind people up. That is not an 8c surface temp chart.

not at all, I love your excitment, but -8 in 850hpa near sea is not -8 on ground....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Also an easterly flow, so DP’s would be sub zero. Not an issue for wintry ppn on that chart other than the lack of ppn lol

Yes mate , in reality whenever you get easterly winds of the continent in winter they feel very cold . You will get the forecast high of say 3 or 4 degrees but in reality it will be lower . Take last years beast they forecast 1 and 2’s and it dint get above -3 here . So day 10 would feel cold ? 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Bulk standard daytime temps for late Jan. Colder than that in balmy Bristol early March 2018 (minus 2c at 2.00pm).

As a guess, I'd expect temps to range from about +1C in inland eastern parts to maybe 5 or 6, in the far southwest...not accounting for altitude?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Sorry, not had time to read through the thread.

I'm sure it has already been said but GFS looks plain wrong the way it handles the upper trough 120/144 so I'm tempted to dismiss it.

UKMO looks a little over amplified so the ECM middle ground looks like a good pick through the mid term which would put us in a decent position going forward.

We could potentially be seeing the first snow falling (probably not accumulating) for lowland England this Winter as early as next week.

Hopefully it would get colder from there

One thing the FI output has always shown is plenty of marginal snow events, at least before any blocking we might hopefully get later takes hold.

Could be plenty of lamppost of watching.

GFS 18z may correct somewhat this evening, expect the usual eye candy in the ensembles.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted

A week Monday 1200 temps in North England are v cold, 9 GEFS are showing ice days.

18EE7895-A638-4BAF-99B0-7596B9D6C9B3.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Vikos said:

No snow at pos dewpoints and pos 2m .. there where alot of posts here for possible snow, so I find it legitim to mention, that the parameters don't talk for snow... or am I wrong? It's been a bit too enthusiatic... but thtas just my opinion, I may be wrong... I don't know your microclima in surtain parts of UK, but I see those +°C, those are rookie numbers for snow... In Germany we normaly need min -8°C in 850hpa for snowfall wich will deploy a durable snow cover... If hours lasting snowfall in morning hours is you goal to reach, than don't take me too serious...

best regards

If we have an easterly flow we can get snow with uppers only just below freezing. It’s not a simple science. But I’m pretty certain you don’t need -8c 850’s in Germany for snow.... but hey your back yard, who am I to argue

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Vikos said:

best regards

I just think it’s all about the right trend at this stage when it’s 10 days away and worry about temperatures and dew points etc much much nearer the time but each to there own mate