Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
2 hours ago, Catacol said:

In Dec 2010 we got a very swift transition to a deep scandy trough supported by a very sharp and strong greeny high - but it wasnt particularly long lived. It started to fade within a week because all the drivers were moving things back to a mobile pattern, and then the rest of the winter was unmemorable.

December 2010 was the second coldest in CET  350+ year history and ran past boxing day or are you just talking about the strong greeny high being short lived  ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Icon looks great at 144 hrs!!! great push from pacific side and atlantic ridging.also I have no idea why sm is on my msg?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
12 minutes ago, stewfox said:

December 2010 was the second coldest in CET  350+ year history and ran past boxing day or are you just talking about the strong greeny high being short lived  ?

I think Catacol is referring to the initial (record breaking?) Greenland High in November 2010 which, if my memory serves me right, was actually forecast about 240 hours out or so before materialising. Again, if my memory serves me right, this was actually linked to warming in the Stratosphere at the time by one of the members on here when our understanding of Stratospheric led cold spells was still in its relative infancy. The high was relatively short lived in comparison to what is currently touted for the coming months and the second phase of cold weather came via a Scandinavian High (once again, if my memory serves me right) after a 5/7 day "mild" interlude. 

Anything near to that winter which produced 40cm of level snow here with 7ft icicles wouldn't go amiss! 

Back to the here and now, the ensembles continue to show great potential up here in Scotland 

graphe3_1000___-4.24528301887_57.2874493

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

ICON decent at +144, cold air surging south!

image.thumb.png.5ca4757648abb026d98bd3e2b23a643e.pngimage.thumb.png.595cab06714b97ce18b8ed4a163057b1.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A wee while back, someone asked whether cool/cold zonality, sliders and such, often precede a change to very cold weather...We this one certainly did: it even gave one of the best White Christmases of the 20th Century! Though you'd hardly guess it from this chart?

image.thumb.png.8a8537e109e759142f5c352021821e23.pngimage.thumb.png.af118d9af9d67390d51fef9f238dec62.png

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

hmmmm, not sure I like the ICON ending, can see a route to South westerlies there.... 

image.thumb.png.89fcb73b01aed5d32617d5fe8dc626be.png

Started with so much promise..

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

ICON decent at +144, cold air surging south!

image.thumb.png.5ca4757648abb026d98bd3e2b23a643e.pngimage.thumb.png.595cab06714b97ce18b8ed4a163057b1.png

Ahh how lovely those words echo....."cold air surging south"

Yes at 144z not 240 no.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
6 hours ago, tight isobar said:

Any sustained block formats @/around greenland...will likely come as sudden pop up modeling...due to lobe responce1s...and indeed migration.

But-the amp-and phasing is certainly there..(for that scenario)..

Edit:

By this time nxt week my punt is thats where any split occurs...and could likely be modeled starkly by then...-via link with pac-punching= split -pv 

Re-edit:.

Still think canadian lobe being WELL OVERPLAYED ATM- and a major miss match on influencing factors!!!

ICON-further up'ing that pac/MLB(Atlantic) anti.

Reiteration-' likely split sector!!.

With again the mass canadian lobe being vastly overhyped via raws. .

See where all 12z drop and drive the scenario!!!

imageproxy.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted

Interesting chart from the ICON, Cold air flooding in and attack coming in from the west, I highly doubt that low will be as strong as is on this chart, once again would have been nice to see past 180 on this one but it’s pretty much a guessing game. The 144 chart was pretty good.

674C3EF3-35BC-4F73-A85E-2520F6F3AF3A.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

hmmmm, not sure I like the ICON ending, can see a route to South westerlies there.... 

image.thumb.png.89fcb73b01aed5d32617d5fe8dc626be.png

Started with so much promise..

It would a very difficult route to South Westerlies from there with pressure low over Spain. The lows South of Greenland would head South East I would think.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

ICON-further up'ing that pac/MLB(Atlantic) anti.

Reiteration-' likely split sector!!.

With again the mass canadian lobe being vastly overhyped via raws. .

See where all 12z drop and drive the scenario!!!

You are right  the Vortex on the 12z icon is not as strong as the 0z run  quite a diffeence in regard to the greenland area.  Something to watch

• Like 2

Posted

There is a ridge ahead of the push from the Canadian vortex days 9/11

the bigger that ridge the more chance that this push can be disrupted a little west to bring some of the uk into slider territory 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
40 minutes ago, stewfox said:

I believe the cold spell was around 4 weeks to it's demise.I think Cactol was refering to that.

This on the horizon has the hall marks of eclipsing that longevity imho with all the background pieces falling into line .

Edit.

I think it will be the frequency of cold shots into N/W Europe during Feb and March that will test the metal and resources of our services as J Bastardi alluded to.

Sounds sensationalist but I'm here to be shot at 

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, andymusic said:

cold and snow starting to show up circa 6 days and counting in Wales on the gfsp - coming ever closer

Looks decent for many but I'm in Porthcawl and it seems as though the Swansea Bay/ Vale of Glamorgan snow shield is still going strong mate, hope you're away from there if you like snow  

image.jpeg

Edited by Jonathan Rhodri Roberts
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Catacol said:

archivesnh-2010-12-25-0-0.thumb.png.846904741b6a09a90664acfff3895e01.png

Very memorable December - but despite the great synoptics of early month it was too early then for heavy snow in many parts, and after a week or so of wintriness mid month it faded.

I can't disagree with your analysis leading up to the mid-December 2010 outbreak and why it ended, but I don't agree that it was too early for heavy snow.

By December 21st cold enough airmasses are available to tap into and the lack of solar energy means that a lower temperature can be achieved at the surface under specific 850 values than could be achieved in early February when the solar energy input is greater.

The reason this does not generally happen is due to lag effects and is itself partly a result of atmospheric dynamics making it less likely that the cold air reaches us in mid-December than early February; in late November there is still residual heat being redistributed from earlier in autumn which has the effect of increasing low pressure activity. As the residual heat fades and the colder air from the northern hemisphere takes over the storm activity decreases and makes a leakage of cold more likely(expressed in terms I can understand!)

December 2010 was a rare occasion when we both tapped in to the perfect spot for a cold source and had very low solar energy due to the low sun. Mid December is perfectly capable of having temperatures every bit as low as late January.

Of course this is all very simplified and I could be talking utter tripe so I apologise in advance!

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO at 120 looks good to me, poss similar to icon at 144 with Northerly 

9E8FAAAB-A590-4B54-97D9-0DDF8A578CED.gif

Mighty fine this from UKMO

10288308-0045-47F9-994E-236F5EF18C3C.gif

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said: