Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
19 minutes ago, Northumberland snowman said:

Very impressive they are. 

Look at the scatter though, many runs alternate between average and cold as a result of a cold zonal pattern. It isn't the persistent snowy cold that most are craving. There would be snow in the NW for many but this would quickly be washed away by rain... rinse and repeat whilst Northern blocking struggles to build.

The 06z parallel however shows the way once more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
19 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Look at the scatter though, many runs alternate between average and cold as a result of a cold zonal pattern. It isn't the persistent snowy cold that most are craving. There would be snow in the NW for many but this would quickly be washed away by rain... rinse and repeat whilst Northern blocking struggles to build.

I would say that most don't alternate near average as the mean remains firmly below average and it's trending lower as time moves on

Screenshot_20190110-131529_Chrome.jpg

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
52 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

a weird hole in the midlands hmm

Yeah over my house............:(

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

We need to get rid of the GFS.

Its entertainment factor is of course what it says 'entertaining' but it offers little real value.

5 pages on from this morning & pretty much ( with a few exceptions ) all thoughts / forecasts & rationale based on the GFS 06z suite.

Jeez talk about build your house on a plate of Jelly....

I don’t know either way how it’ll pan out , what if the GFS has this nailed? Will your thoughts change on it? Personally I’m looking fwd to the UKMO, mainly as it looked like bringing the cold in earlier than the others - not sure it will be correct though. If it is then hats off to it.

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

We need to get rid of the GFS.

Its entertainment factor is of course what it says 'entertaining' but it offers little real value.

5 pages on from this morning & pretty much ( with a few exceptions ) all thoughts / forecasts & rationale based on the GFS 06z suite.

Jeez talk about build your house on a plate of Jelly....

Only if the replacement is definitely better.

• Like 4

Posted
59 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Your post also sums up Meto latest musings for end Jan and into early Feb (my interpretation at least).

Posted

Looking at the wintry scenes across Europe it’s really frustrating that we remain on the outer limits of this cold and snowy weather which has engulfed much of mainland Europe.

The picture postcard scenes across Austria, Turkey and Germany really are quite something, feet of snow.

Here’s hoping our time is coming...we all deserve it after such a patient first half of winter.

Let’s hope the 12z can guide us closer ....

A

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

That's a T2 of -13C (at least) member on the ENS! Mean doesn't get above 5c from the 19th. Another fantastic set.

image.thumb.png.26e782a698f92c88a1062c260dda614f.png

Great set for London, a fair few warm stragglers will be dragging that mean up towards 1c too I imagine. The last few GFS have been pretty meh the last few runs for the medium term, we could do with an upgrade in those in line with the ECM maybe.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot
14 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

That's a T2 of -13C (at least) member on the ENS! Mean doesn't get above 5c from the 19th. Another fantastic set. The 4 members that can be assessed as mild, probably skew that mean of around 3C towards the end! Doesn't matter how you cut that, it's a very cold run . 

image.thumb.png.26e782a698f92c88a1062c260dda614f.png

Aren't there at least 2 or 3 members on the colder side that drag the mean down as well?   Meaning that the mean is the mean if you get my meaning. 

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Aren't there at least 2 or 3 members on the colder side that drag the mean down as well?   Meaning that the mean is the mean if you get my meaning. 

We don’t worry about those !!!!!

What I mean is there are a fair warm members out on their own a bit, where there are no real out and out cold members. I take your point though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
3 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Better clustering in the colder runs and the outliers are definitely the milder runs. Perhaps the median would give a better indication when this is the case?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
11 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

good point! guess my cold Bias got in the way there lol - still cold though 

That said, it is only 1 member that goes off on one in terms of cold, although in some style... I'd like to see the synoptic version of that member 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, Paul said:

And yet, 10 days ago, this ECM chart was being 'boomed' left right and centre, with the GFS apparently playing catchup / incorrect for whatever reason at that point too. 

ecm1101.png

The GFS at that time was way closer to where we've ended up though..

gfs-1101.png

I'm not saying that because of this the ECM is rubbish and the GFS great, and the model scores certainly don't have the GFS beating the ECM or Meto right now, but just ignoring a major model which albeit behind isn't stupidly behind, is as worthless an exercise as taking any run from any model as gospel. 

Yep the ECM amplified charts in the day 9 to 10 range are just as predictable as the GFS long range charts really and as with any long range output it really should be taken with a whole lot of skeptism regardless what it shows.

In the more short to medium term, just how much half hearted amplification will we see in the Atlantic will depend how much polar air does come down from the North. Certainly no big freeze on the way but chillier and brighter conditons will be most welcome

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot
25 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

good point! guess my cold Bias got in the way there lol - still cold though 

To be fair, I only happened to notice as I was trying to keep my own cold bias in check! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

What calamity, disaster and grief: everything's still pointing toward a colder pattern setting-in around or just after Jan 20th. What doom-and-gloom...Ignore the ongoing SSW and other teleconnections, and watch the seagulls instead...?

image.thumb.png.23648ba1a6c7bd706adc7a902198089b.png

Warm sector being squeezed out like an unwanted spot ready to pop. That would have no warm up of consequence 

BFTP

• Like 3