Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

GFS Para  

E3437636-D483-4703-A767-AA304ADF0664.png

21F9444A-17B1-493B-9185-6E0A1E4A0AF8.jpeg

I'm guessing this is when the vortex splits and one of the coldest lobes has drifted over Scandinavia and then picked up strength over the North Sea?  I've always wondered if that could happen and what fun it could bring? As the coldest lobes normally drift over to Canada, would be pretty interesting if the coldest lobe came our way instead.

• Like 2

Posted

LOL the chance of gfs parallel nailing the track of the derpression this far out,if it even forms in the first place ,is about the same as Burton getting to the league cup final.Just ignore that run.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
27 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

I'm guessing this is when the vortex splits and one of the coldest lobes has drifted over Scandinavia and then picked up strength over the North Sea?  I've always wondered if that could happen and what fun it could bring? As the coldest lobes normally drift over to Canada, would be pretty interesting if the coldest lobe came our way instead.

The coldest lobe stays over Canada (-40c uppers!!!)  but it is further W/NW away from Greenland (what we want) and we get a displaced chunk that heads our way.  Importantly though we see -20c deep cold build over Scandinavia and a HP wedge build over there.  -20c wedge heads into Iceland from the Pole and astonishing cold wedge coming off Maritime Canada in a pincer movement.......heading towards us, with deep cold wedge over Scandi.  Only one route from there.......I think it shows the potential cross polar movement of cold RJS was explaining.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Country wide snow (feet in places), blizzards, severe drifting , ice days, and 100% carnage on the roads and rail system. Especially hard hit in the East and South. 

It wouldn’t be melting the day after neither, severe frost (-15c in place ) once it all settled down and the LP moves off 

And Id be perfectly happy with that - I guess that is due to a 'steering' high????

I have to say I'm still a tad concerned I don't see sustained blocking at Greenland 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Banbury said:

And Id be perfectly happy with that - I guess that is due to a 'steering' high????

I have to say I'm still a tad concerned I don't see sustained blocking at Greenland 

Obviously it’s way in FI but if that Para came off I think it would be a pretty historic event , definitely memorable that’s for sure. Many snow lovers would sacrifice a prolonged cold spell to experience several days of that run I’m sure

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
24 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

The coldest lobe stays over Canada (-40c uppers!!!)  but it is further W/NW away from Greenland (what we want) and we get a displaced chunk that heads our way.  Importantly though we see -20c deep cold build over Scandinavia and a HP wedge build over there.  -20c wedge heads into Iceland from the Pole and astonishing cold wedge coming off Maritime Canada in a pincer movement.......heading towards us, with deep cold wedge over Scandi.  Only one route from there.......I think it shows the potential cross polar movement of cold RJS was explaining.

BFTP

Omega?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It looks like the 18z last night was indeed an outlier in amplifying straight away. The Euro and both GFS models have returned to yesterday’s pattern of events which is essentially that winter arrives for Scotland on the 17th via a nnw, winter arrives for the bulk of England on the 20th/21st via Wnw which all been well should push showers well inland. Afterwards there are some runs and ensembles trying to bring easterlies albeit at that range the signal is still incoherent.

• Like 4

Posted
59 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Country wide snow (feet in places), blizzards, severe drifting , ice days, and 100% carnage on the roads and rail system. Especially hard hit in the East and South. 

It wouldn’t be melting the day after neither, severe frost (-15c in place ) once it all settled down and the LP moves off 

You can dream

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

A very underwhelming GFS  00 hrs run which never delivers much in the day ten period

That's OK, because cold and snow hunters are not anticipating anything within 10 days anyway?

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

That's OK, because cold and snow hunters are not anticipating anything within 10 days anyway?

The change comes around day 10/11 which is also what the 0z shows on gfs, gfsp and euro who all back a cold cyclonic wnw. From there we should look to the cold embedding as lows sink.

• Like 3

So the more experienced members seem to think that Greenland High blocking features can be forgotten, and just the odd Atlantic ridging may bring NW blasts of cold air. This has been seen quite clearly in GFS FI. February now we should be looking too for a different pattern? The hunt certainly goes on...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

Well, the Para has me under -10-ish uppers from about 23rd Jan!

We'll ignore pet 13, which is clearly wrong....

GEFS2019-1-10.thumb.JPG.ac4dc8c67d8c0c09e9db9e74ed55d52b.JPG

Starting to allow myself to feel more positive now about a colder phase of the winter...

Don't need Roy Castle or Cheryl Baker on hand just in case it's a record breaker - some decent cold and snowy shots will do for me!

Edited by Selliso
  • Like 2