Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Cute charts. Thanks for sharing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I think its eyes down for next weeks model viewing .

Just think in 7 days we could be T84 hrs into the freezer. Possible west based influence to watch for but i don't think its nothing to concern us yet if at all

Lots to play for..

I think I've exhausted my chart posting for a week or so .

Big thanks to the mods for tidying up this thread and smacking some  bottoms..

Edited by sorepaw1
  • Like 7

Posted
23 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Does the gfs latest run look underwhelming or is it just me?   

It does, but check out the UKMO that’s a proper wedge heading towards Greenland with the PV more vertical into USA means it should put less pressure on eastward progression into the Atlantic etc..., and by Thurs could be very good. If the ECM and some ENS follow that I’d be happy.

CE99D645-D94E-418C-A4A9-A440AC44AF4F.gif

UKMO has a much weaker PV over the USA allowing a bigger wedge up towards Greenland. Maybe others with more knowledge will add some bones, is the UKMO ready to deliver the good here????

3FD9BCAA-4FEF-4D25-B2B0-B7DF15723603.png

Very little support from GEFS for the 144 UKMO. ??

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

It does, but check out the UKMO that’s a proper wedge and by Thurs could be very good. If the ECM and some ENS follow that I’d be happy.

CE99D645-D94E-418C-A4A9-A440AC44AF4F.gif

Yeah that looks juicy. Also, there is a trend toward lowering heights over Spain etc which is also a good sign

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 1

Posted

P20 shows what can happen in a short time frame 2 days.

155C6E25-0DEA-42E9-BDDA-37C6BBE15D2F.png

FA1F01CA-CC5E-48D5-942A-DEE2B524AEC7.png

• Like 2

Posted

Icon looks pretty good at T180 with a cold flow from the North, that ridge looks pretty good with the Arctic HP pushing towards it. 

3CFE65E0-6EB3-4871-867B-947747AA4303.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

Moving on briefly from the short range.

By midweek a much more fluid west > east pattern emerging with the phasing of the colder/warmer air and frontal systems traverse the country. Thus windy at times with periods of rain, snow on norther hills,interspersed with sunny intervals

gfs_z500_vort_natl_25.thumb.png.8b43fe128931f5c1cb2e51618a84b25b.pnggfs_z500_vort_natl_29.thumb.png.678f226323f8fa921ac8f40bf5dc9302.pnggfs_z500_vort_natl_33.thumb.png.9b15b294ba3da21deadef09b79e42e1e.png

Good to see you back

• Like 4

Posted

Nice to see the gfs 00z continues to consistently pee on the previous night's party!!...continuously does this for some reason! Anyway, still no consistancy so best advice I'm giving myself if to sum up trends daily not per run. I think this has another week at least of twists and turns before the evolution to cold is determined...if indeed it is going that way.

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Nice to see the gfs 00z continues to consistently pee on the previous night's party!!...continuously does this for some reason! Anyway, still no consistancy so best advice I'm giving myself if to sum up trends daily not per run. I think this has another week at least of twists and turns before the evolution to cold is determined...if indeed it is going that way.

GFS op is the warmest member of the ensemble the 19th and after that one of the mildest 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

GFS op is the warmest member of the ensemble the 19th and after that one of the mildest 

Thanks Artur, i just checked the GEFS and they look good

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snowfish1 said:

Does the gfs latest run look underwhelming or is it just me?   

Still not seeing anything around Greenland regarding High Pressure to lock in any cold. High pressure tries to build in the Atlantic and push north, but low pressure around the tip of Greenland says no. Toppling high pressure in the Atlantic with fleeting cold bursts in FI seems the theme. Still waiting for the Atlantic High/Greenland High as touted by numerous charts posted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lloyds32 said:

Still not seeing anything around Greenland regarding High Pressure to lock in any cold. High pressure tries to build in the Atlantic and push north, but low pressure around the tip of Greenland says no. Toppling high pressure in the Atlantic with fleeting cold bursts in FI seems the theme. Still waiting for the Atlantic High/Greenland High as touted by numerous charts posted.

You dont need massive blocking over greenland

A steering High pressure will do...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

You dont need massive blocking over greenland

A steering High pressure will do...

Yes.

Think people are thinking only yellows and greens over Greenland = cold.

You don't need this, as Steve says small pockets of heights to disrupt the jet is enough. March 2013 had some good examples of this from memory. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

Someone earlier was talking about the dangers of a WBNAO, but I can’t see this happening at all and even if it did it wouldn’t make any difference in this setup.

Nothing is going to stop that cold flooding down now.

• Like 1

Posted

Good UKMO and good ECM this morning. Almost in range on the ECM. Give it a day or two and it could be boom time

Good comments above about GL pressure. Arctic heights are fast becoming a big player here and will steer the cold, we don't need a whopping orange coloured high sat over Greenland, that will possibly come later.

500mb is only one layer if the SPV above is disturbed, as it indeed it VERY much is, the purples will disipate very quickly once Arctic heights start nosing down. 

today-ECH1-240.thumb.GIF.5ba8e25dbf92c3e21ae07cdfb335e57c.GIF

• Like 7