Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

No.

If only you ever stopped to analize the runs & how the GFS moves to the euros you would never be so foolish to assume the GFS leading the way-

What you actually seeing is the GFS coming into line with the UKMOs slower evolution.

Bang on..

Always imo..ukmo/ecm..

Then a blended slower evo via GFS-shes nearly always playing catch up out to 144+ hrs...

Then falls into the equasion, within the params!!..

Edit:-but obviously always look for trending 240+ for obvious reasons!!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Decent upgrade here on the 18z.  Bringing in cold from the north earlier than previous runs.... cold well into the north at 234

image.thumb.png.5af4934e043bb33d174ebd75e4652778.pngimage.thumb.png.6aa778e8254572a81300c93814425b84.png  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

And here is a chart from the mighty Navgem , 

Heard it’s not far behind in verification along with GFS

FA765695-5368-4E7E-97A2-5857A8B89FCB.png

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Gfs seems to be leading the way for the moment esp the ensembles. In the reliable a change to cold zonal is very likely with some snow for Northern hills.

The strat promises much but whether it will deliver or not won't be known for a while yet. Certainly no decent heights showing up in the 7 to 10 day outlook.

The whole thing feels very different to last March when things happened quickly. My heart says it will go cold but my head is telling me it wont

The only place not cold on the GFS run is Cork your head could be right

gfs-1-240 (1).png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I’m quite liking the wedgie on this run. I wonder if it will lead to a breakthrough with the arctic high?

There’s got to a slider somewhere along the line. 

• Like 1

Posted

This is turning into a lovely run at 264... cheeky little low near the channel could usher in an easterly???

image.thumb.png.83cb6444ce08cead1b0e175d23664c5d.pngimage.thumb.png.0b2eb3431e712bf752d59354228442fb.png  

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

The only place not cold on the GFS run is Cork your head could be right

gfs-1-240 (1).png

Oddly enough Cork gets a snowstorm 24hours later. Go on gfs ya good thing

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS tonight is going for at least the short easterly update undercutting very early.

It is not in line with the Euro/GFS12z solution of a cold zonal flow however and so it may be overly amplified.

One thing is certain though, winter proper arrives from the 16th.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

im sure in the not too distant the raws will start modeling the splitter situ (pv)..

Its gaing little by little now..with the break of segments adjusting all the while.

And a likely shrinking-evaporated north-western lobe....

@pole cutter

gfsnh-3-276.png

gfsnh-0-276.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Ooh. Frontal battle zone at T+264. Likely. Someone is bound to put the precip chart up soon

As reported by GFS it’s actually pretty underwhelming. Much less so than the more active NW to SE slider. I’m not sure that wedge of heights does us any favours in that transition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

This Low-Fastrunner at the french W-Coast

gfseu-0-276.png?18

Posted

The mobility remains and seems to fit the  cross model means evolutions ..... but without clusters we are a left wondering if the means mobility is simply timing or if this pub run is reflective of what may happen as the Atlantic ridge is replenished with a new system dropping in from the nw into the cold 

• Like 4

Posted

A messy looking chart, but very cold with -10 uppers widely across England. It won't look exactly like this, however the momentum is finally starting to build.  Looking like somewhere around 21-23 Jan could be the landing zone for proper cold!  

image.thumb.png.3949d748dfc2c25872c78387d739a306.pngimage.thumb.png.27470a1f67e405e8227f26cfdf8b1296.png  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The diving low down to the Channel days 11-12 fits in with the gefs pattern and something like i envisaged in my earlier post.

Would do the job with only modest ridging out west.It pulls that deep cold by linking to the Scandi.trough -8c uppers !

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: See if you can guess

We want that high to punch up into NE Canada

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Don't get me wrong i am really looking forward to what is a potential stonking last half of winter, i would just love to see a Greenland high develop though around 20-25th, i don't normally talk about brutal winters as a whole and episodic months as for one they are very unlikely, and for second i would just settle for a blistering snow event with 10 inches, preferably a foot, and would be over the moon with 2 of those in a winter (1991,1987), but if we were to get a greenland high, with the strat as it is, particularly with a cross polar ridging episode, i really think it would be our best chance in our lifetime we will get to see another 1947.

Patience feb it might come a little further down the line maybe . Well I hope so

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

This is turning into a lovely run at 264... cheeky little low near the channel could usher in an easterly???

image.thumb.png.83cb6444ce08cead1b0e175d23664c5d.pngimage.thumb.png.0b2eb3431e712bf752d59354228442fb.png  

The-Scream-Painting-as-a-Snowman--121438

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1