Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

GFS & GEFS seem to be struggling to imprint the split on the troposphere in a sustained manner. Hard to be entirely sure that it's down to model bias (poor resolution of low height divisions and split jet flows along with general zonal overcook), but given the much more positive trends from EPS, it seems pretty likely.

Yeah, I know, famous last words... 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Singularity said:

GFS & GEFS seem to be struggling to imprint the split on the troposphere in a sustained manner. Hard to be entirely sure that it's down to model bias (poor resolution of low height divisions and split jet flows along with general zonal overcook), but given the much more positive trends from EPS, it seems pretty likely.

There was a brilliant strat GFS run yesterday (6z) - since then its struggling to imprint the full pattern on the trop again, although even where the strat split in the mid strat isn't favourable, there is a 3 vortice split maintained right out to 384, so one things for sure, for a while yet, at least any failure is unlikely to be our last attempt at cold, cannot see with current synoptics, being able to write off winter until Early - mid March.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
12 minutes ago, Singularity said:

I am reliably told that the "EC can be overly sensitive to Stratospheric weakening", so probably wise for cautious approach at this stage. 

Hopefully over the next few days we will start to see the signalled EC46 pattern start to play out on NWP, just to ease some tension! In the mean time if the EPS remain steadfast with the pattern for the last 3rd of Jan onward, that's definitely a good thing!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

GEFS still look decent to me ..

Systematic of PM influence..

MT8_London_ens.png

Click image to see the updated 6z GEFS.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
20 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I am reliably told that the "EC can be overly sensitive to Stratospheric weakening", so probably wise for cautious approach at this stage. 

Hopefully over the next few days we will start to see the signalled EC46 pattern start to play out on NWP, just to ease some tension! In the mean time if the EPS remain steadfast with the pattern for the last 3rd of Jan onward, that's definitely a good thing!

On the other hand, isn’t the GFS normally slow with the trop response due to there being fewer layers in its modelling?

Posted

The control for De Bilt is insane brhhh :cold:

Very cold set in general

image.thumb.png.b76a0ea7aab32d7e40679e57850064b2.png

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

On the other hand, isn’t the GFS normally slow with the trop response due to there being fewer layers in its modelling?

Not as good in the strat as the EC, but to be honest I'd rather the GFS underplays it and we get a nice surprise than the alternative :ninja: 

I'm referring to the trop response at High Latitudes in terms of blocking, rather than Strat. (EC)

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

The control for De Bilt is insane brhhh :cold:

Very cold set in general

That's because the models actually show cold uppers dropping down over that part of Europe. Here we miss out.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Final comment removed.
  • Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

There was a brilliant strat GFS run yesterday (6z) - since then its struggling to imprint the full pattern on the trop again, although even where the strat split in the mid strat isn't favourable, there is a 3 vortice split maintained right out to 384, so one things for sure, for a while yet, at least any failure is unlikely to be our last attempt at cold, cannot see with current synoptics, being able to write off winter until Early - mid March.

The same pretty much every year then, you know with winter ending at the same point every year and the thermal lag always allowing for winter weather into spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Boys can we play nicely. We're a great Gang and us newbies appreciate your input but not the punch ups. Cheers. Gfs still looking very reserved by comparison lol. Anyone wanna take a punt as to when gfs will sniff out and start showing something more exciting? 

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Anyone worrying about what the GFS is showing for a period 13 days away .

GFS 11th Of February 2018 for 24th Of February.

1606911739_24th2.thumb.png.97da217cf46d4c9a2dea70eee95a384e.png

Actual chart

867118559_241.thumb.png.da3b5e5ac986e0dd789025f678f9d45e.png

can i accuse you of 'selective posting' ?

four gfs ops that day

2 brought in a cold easterly from a scandi ridge

1 brought in a scandi ridge without a frigid easterly

you posted the other one

in general, the gfs ops were good on the feb reversal from about five days out of th ssw onset (6th feb) - yes some runs dropped the baton but generally good. this downwelling is clearly a very different animal

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

four gfs ops that day

you posted the other one

in general, the gfs ops were good on the feb reversal from about five days out of th ssw onset (6th feb) - yes some runs dropped the baton but generally good. this downwelling is clearly a very different animal

Indeed.

But my point still stands, I was referring to the 6z this morning.

Who's to say the 12z wont show a better outcome?

I was merely highlighting that each individual run should not be taken at face value.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins
14 minutes ago, Lloyds32 said:

That's because the models actually show cold uppers dropping down over that part of Europe. Here we miss out. I wouldn't call it insane though, bit over the top. 

True, but it's on it's own there, which is good for us.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, ALL ABOARD said:

Indeed.

But my point still stands, I was referring to the 6z this morning.

Who's to say the 12z wont show a better outcome?

I was merely highlighting that each individual run should not be taken at face value.

a few days ago i mused that it would be good for one of the the gfs/gfsp to pick a run that fitted the expected direction of travel for 20/23 jan on each suite … that worked for the next three runs but has been less reliable since.  i still feel the ncep model looks too mobile (that shouldn't be a surprise) but i remain uncomfortable whilst the para fails to read the script for more than the odd run.

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

four gfs ops that day

you posted the other one

Yeah, there’s definitely an issue with selective memory in here for when people have an agenda for certain things(not saying that is what this is) it’s very easy to cherry pick and say a model was wrong or right... in the long run I would say all the main models are equally as fallible as each other, there’s a reason why the verifation stats are always so close to each other.

I think it’s fair to say a cold spell counting down to t0 with no hiccups from day 10+ is always very unlikely, it’s exceptionally rare. So not surprising to see the models moving back and fourth slightly.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Weathizard said:

Yeah, there’s definitely an issue with selective memory in here for when people have an agenda for certain things(not saying that is what this is) it’s very easy to cherry pick and say a model was wrong or right... in the long run I would say all the main models are equally as fallible as each other, there’s a reason why the verifation stats are always so close to each other.

I think it’s fair to say a cold spell counting down to t0 with no hiccups from day 10+ is always very unlikely, it’s exceptionally rare. So not surprising to see the models moving back and fourth slightly.

for whatever reason, the feb reversal was pretty textbook stuff and the modelling reflected that …... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
27 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

The control for De Bilt is insane brhhh 

Very cold set in general

Brilliant to see.

Posted

This might get a few backs up, but it's not meant to and it is just my opinion, but I find the use of the De Bilt ensembles useless for predicting cold for the UK.

I have seen time and time again over the years the really cold air stopping at the start of the English Channel, and it can be below freezing in De Bilt, while it is can be +5c in the SE/East of the UK.  All the De Bilt ensembles tell me is that more than likely Northern Mainland Europe will be very cold, whilst in reality, the UK 8/9 times out of 10 is much warmer. 

I welcome comments on what value they can add when looking for UK specific cold.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
20 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Neither is it unknown to see a mild spell, after a cold spell has been counted down from day 10+ to 2....

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

This might get a few backs up, but it's not meant to and it is just my opinion, but I find the use of the De Bilt ensembles useless for predicting cold for the UK.

I have seen time and time again over the years the really cold air stopping at the start of the English Channel, and it can be below freezing in De Bilt, while it is can be +5c in the SE/East of the UK.  All the De Bilt ensembles tell me is that more than likely Northern Mainland Europe will be very cold, whilst in reality, the UK 8/9 times out of 10 is much warmer. 

I welcome comments on what value they can add when looking for UK specific cold.

Because they are pretty, that's about it for me... Jokes!

Actually if an easterly is on the cards they are useful, also if we can cool the continent down and we can tap into that source, even if it's briefly from a sinking low etc, then it is useful. imo 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
18 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

For a start the Control is an out and outlier but may be a trend setter as it shows a stonking northerly come Easterly 

The set is ok other than that but trending colder. They are useful when a Scandi high forms and cold is definitely heading our way but as for a developing Atlantic ridge who knows?

Screenshot_20190109-135539_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190109-084851_Chrome.jpg

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3