Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 7th January onwards

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please keep this thread solely to discussing the model output. The model banter thread is available for more loosely model related chat, ramps and moans.

Posted
1 minute ago, Storme said:

I don't understand these models very much but am learning from reading these threads. I don't want to take the thread off track by asking too many questions.

Last winter I was in Surrey and the Beast gave us nothing but a sprinkling. I have moved to the East Midlands. From what I am interpreting, and I am probably wrong, but am I still in the wrong area for possible snow? Is it more westerly?

No one knows .........

• Like 2

Posted

Will certainly be interesting to see if we can count this down to t0, it’s very rare that we can count down exact sypnotics from GFS FI to day zero, I feel like DEC 2010 was counted down very successfully and predicted well far out by the METO, but it doesn’t happen often.

Posted
1 minute ago, Storme said:

I don't understand these models very much but am learning from reading these threads. I don't want to take the thread off track by asking too many questions.

Last winter I was in Surrey and the Beast gave us nothing but a sprinkling. I have moved to the East Midlands. From what I am interpreting, and I am probably wrong, but am I still in the wrong area for possible snow? Is it more westerly?

East Midlands is a pretty good place to be in any set up conducive of snow. A good place in NW flows , Beasts, and when warm fronts hit cold air

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Ensembles beginning to look particularly interesting for Scotland after a very poor winter so far despite promising cold early doors. Liking those snow probabilities 

graphe3_1000___-4.24528301887_57.3684210

Showing the chances next Wednesday in the snow rows up to 75%.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Outrageous run, FV3 at T360:

gfsnh-0-360.thumb.png.df18ba8153b174c65d858ab18fc3dad2.pnggfsnh-1-360.thumb.png.29d771ac0842d4992964e153ddfa46a6.png

Tbh-mike that pc puncher-and other given synops...madly enough this could become a feasible prog !!!!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

gfsnh-0-360.thumb.png.df18ba8153b174c65d858ab18fc3dad2.pnggfsnh-1-360.thumb.png.29d771ac0842d4992964e153ddfa46a6.png

Dangerous cold over NE America. -30C 850hPa isotherm almost touching NYC!

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Will certainly be interesting to see if we can count this down to t0, it’s very rare that we can count down exact sypnotics from GFS FI to day zero, I feel like DEC 2010 was counted down very successfully and predicted well far out by the METO, but it doesn’t happen often.

Based on 14+ years of watching various versions of GFS I would say well under 10% but no doubt fun to track.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, that is how everyone learns. Remember you can also pm a member you think may be able to answer a question you have. I'm happy to chat weather anytime so please do not be afraid to ask.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
42 minutes ago, IDO said:

Something like 19 is my preference:

tempresult_doe9.giftempresult_oem9.gif

Really enjoy these gifs, as it shows how quickly the fluid dynamics of various levels of the atmosphere can change over a period of time.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

looks goood too..

DwYP1LcWoAEInmf.jpeg

You keep digging these maps out.  Looks like the week of the 21st   is were the fun lies   keep them coming 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
17 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

If this is the models now starting to latch on to the trop response to the SSW, we could see all sorts of crazy runs.  Something has shifted in the FI model output today.  Liking it.

Indeed that is a sensational rum from the 20th onwards

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well the FV3 is certainly showing what we want it to show:

image.thumb.png.748e07102a8da1985075490ca9c9d891.pngimage.thumb.png.05b618c345391d3f7dab263dd728ddeb.png

And that's some Greenland anticyclone, too...the signals going but one way!:cold:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Maybe dig out my post from Sunday pm

IF this lands week beginning 21/1 then the 46 will have done a very impressive job from more than a month out 

And if it doesn’t land then you  can never use the EC46 as a weather prediction tool ever again,it’s credbility will be shot , as the amount of time this winter it’s been predicting this scenario to happen has felt like months,fingers crossed then