Sign in to follow this  
sorepaw1

Advice on buying a new car

I'm currently looking at buying a new car.

Not sure what to go for.

I was looking at a Volvo V40 .

Im  over 6ft 4" tall and 18 stone.

So a ford fiesta or small cars are out of the question as much as i like the look of them.

Any members thoughts and reliability opinions 

The Volvo V40 has come up trumps with me for style reliability and I'm  very impressed with the safety side.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm flogging my x90 hybrid   for a   range rover velar 

Lakeland Land Rover?  Test drove the 3.0 supercharged petrol. Only thing it couldn't pass was a petrol pump! 

Edited by JeffC

I have driven over a million miles, currently average about 40 k/year, advanced driver etc etc. 

Depends what you're after but pound for pound the VW Passat would be my standard choice ideally the estate. Refined, reliable (save fixing a few lab tests). Good choice of engines, 2.0 tdi I last had in 192 PS guise. Brill! 

I'm currently running out someone else's contract as I started a new job... BMW 216d. An utter dog of a machine... Don't get one of those. They're horrible. 

On 08/01/2019 at 07:01, JeffC said:

I have driven over a million miles, currently average about 40 k/year, advanced driver etc etc. 

Depends what you're after but pound for pound the VW Passat would be my standard choice ideally the estate. Refined, reliable (save fixing a few lab tests). Good choice of engines, 2.0 tdi I last had in 192 PS guise. Brill! 

I'm currently running out someone else's contract as I started a new job... BMW 216d. An utter dog of a machine... Don't get one of those. They're horrible. 

I've decided to stick to my 2011 Subaru outback for now

Going to change it in spring to the new Subaru Forester .

I test drove one yesterday .

Lovely piece of kit.

1 hour ago, sorepaw1 said:

I've decided to stick to my 2011 Subaru outback for now

Going to change it in spring to the new Subaru Forester .

I test drove one yesterday .

Lovely piece of kit.

More difficult when you have a company car... Subaru always seem v reliable so sensible choice. 

Mrs possibly looking at Jag ePace to replace Freelander 2...same running gear as evoque and same wading depth as F2.... But smaller than disco sport or evoque. 

On 08/01/2019 at 06:57, JeffC said:

Lakeland Land Rover?  Test drove the 3.0 supercharged petrol. Only thing it couldn't pass was a petrol pump! 

Parks land rover in Ayrshire  I'm there this weekend 

Just now, Mokidugway said:

Parks land rover in Ayrshire  I'm there this weekend 

Oh, they doing a better deal? Mrs C has her freelander from lakeland cos they're only 3 miles away, and I know them pretty well. They've always given us good service, in fact my son is going to do his work experience week there! 

5 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Oh, they doing a better deal? Mrs C has her freelander from lakeland cos they're only 3 miles away, and I know them pretty well. They've always given us good service, in fact my son is going to do his work experience week there! 

No reason in particularly other than my son got his evoque there ,and I'm there 2 days every month 

3 hours ago, JeffC said:

Fair enough!

On 08/01/2019 at 00:01, JeffC said:

I had a VW Passat and the CAM belt went at 60k and totaled the engine VW wanted to charge me 2k for a new engine..i got it done at a local garage for 350 with non vw parts and flogged it on..best car i ever had was my first car VW GOLF mark 1 driver ..1300cc four speed gear box..no power steering etc went on forever and handled like a dream..i have owned Audis and BMWs but that is still my most fav car.

On 07/01/2019 at 03:51, sorepaw1 said:

I'm currently looking at buying a new car.

Not sure what to go for.

I was looking at a Volvo V40 .

Im  over 6ft 4" tall and 18 stone.

So a ford fiesta or small cars are out of the question as much as i like the look of them.

Any members thoughts and reliability opinions 

The Volvo V40 has come up trumps with me for style reliability and I'm  very impressed with the safety side.

Sooo many variables. What is your budget for starters. I mean are we talking new, used, a banger.

The best general advice is to choose a budget, choose a make and model (with plenty about) then keep looking and be picky. 

Always try for lowish mileage, FSH and no more than 1 or 2 previous owners. Beware that a very great many used cars are clocked and have hidden problems. Make sure the paperwork (MOTS, Receipts, Service History) match one another.

So my final advice is to take a mechanic along or a knowledgable friend or best of all get the AA or RAC to do an insepction. It costs £150 but could save £1000s

Edited by Guest

On 08/01/2019 at 00:54, Mokidugway said:

I'm flogging my x90 hybrid   for a   range rover velar 

I like the look of the Velar. But I thought the X90 was a very good car - the new one looks superduper

On 11/01/2019 at 20:17, cheeky_monkey said:

I had a VW Passat and the CAM belt went at 60k and totaled the engine VW wanted to charge me 2k for a new engine..i got it done at a local garage for 350 with non vw parts and flogged it on..best car i ever had was my first car VW GOLF mark 1 driver ..1300cc four speed gear box..no power steering etc went on forever and handled like a dream..i have owned Audis and BMWs but that is still my most fav car.

I had a VW Golf MK2 Driver for a few years. It was past its prime by then, but it was a nice car to drive. Smooth, comfortable, well made and still looked decent (back in 1999). It was good on motorways and handled quite well on the twisty stuff.

If you like 70s and 80s and 90s cars. Check out Hubnut channel on youtube. Superb

14 minutes ago, nwextremeweather said:

Sooo many variables. What is your budget for starters. I mean are we talking new, used, a banger.

The best general advice is to choose a budget, choose a make and model (with plenty about) then keep looking and be picky. 

Always try for lowish mileage, FSH and no more than 1 or 2 previous owners. Beware that a very great many used cars are clocked and have hidden problems. Make sure the paperwork (MOTS, Receipts, Service History) match one another.

So my final advice is to take a mechanic along or a knowledgable friend or best of all get the AA or RAC to do an insepction. It costs £150 but could save £1000s

Ive decided to stay with my 2011 Subaru outback till April its done 250,000 with no problems .apart from once it wouldn't turn off. But that's it.

Then going to look at the new Subaru Forester .

22 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Ive decided to stay with my 2011 Subaru outback till April its done 250,000 with no problems .apart from once it wouldn't turn off. But that's it.

Then going to look at the new Subaru Forester .

Nothing whatever against Subaru but there are a good range or other 4x4 estates out there. VW, Audi, Skoda, Volvo, Vauxhall and a number of others do a 4x4 version of their estates which would do pretty much what the Subaru does. Not only are there 4x4 versions of standard cars but there are the slightly raised up versions with plastic bits down below to look tough. They cost a bit more than the regular cars but also hold value better as well.

37 minutes ago, nwextremeweather said:

I like the look of the Velar. But I thought the X90 was a very good car - the new one looks superduper

Its a great car and im sticking with it ,the velar  is to dear for the spec I want though  its lovely to drive 

39 minutes ago, nwextremeweather said:

Its a great car and im sticking with it ,the velar  is to dear for the spec I want though  its lovely to drive 

I'd stick with your X90 sounds a good car.

I'm hoping to test my winter tyres out week after next. I hope lol 😍

11 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Probably wise. Range Rovers are noted for their dodgy electrics. The general rule is never buy a second hand Range Rover and I wonder if that will be true for the Velar also? In a few years we well know more. Range Rovers looks great but are a complete money pit. Even if money is no object, who wants to be bothering with constant glitches and faults with all that that entials?

6 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

I'd stick with your X90 sounds a good car.

I'm hoping to test my winter tyres out week after next. I hope lol 😍

Given the current GFS models and forecasts, you might want to ffw your timetable on those winter tyres by week or two

Anyone remember the old Subaru Justy 4x4? I remember them back in the day and they were a neat little package. A 4x4 in a car the size of a Vauxhall Nova or Fiesta. Of course there was the old Fiat Panda 4x4 but the Justy was a proper tought little go anywhere car - shame they rusted faster than a bucket of nails

11 minutes ago, nwextremeweather said:

Probably wise. Range Rovers are noted for their dodgy electrics. The general rule is never buy a second hand Range Rover and I wonder if that will be true for the Velar also? In a few years we well know more. Range Rovers looks great but are a complete money pit. Even if money is no object, who wants to be bothering with constant glitches and faults with all that that entials?

Never had any bother with my disco or  vogue till latter was destroyed by a tractor 😐

7 minutes ago, nwextremeweather said:

Anyone remember the old Subaru Justy 4x4? I remember them back in the day and they were a neat little package. A 4x4 in a car the size of a Vauxhall Nova or Fiesta. Of course there was the old Fiat Panda 4x4 but the Justy was a proper tought little go anywhere car - shame they rusted faster than a bucket of nails

They've brought out a new justy .

I remember the old one's. 

In a crash you'd be safer in a car made of coke cans lol