Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Here, there is a flat grey stratus sky producing  large snowflakes intermittent with fine cold drizzle/sleet, which is catching on the grass but not on the warmer stoney surfaces. 

After a (very) quick step outside, I reckon the temp to be + a few degrees and the surface breeze to emanate from the S or SE.

This wet stuff can cause quite severe disruption to power-cables etc.

:nonono:

• Like 3
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my life what an awesome snowy day!!! First thing......down to see how the Ballo is freezing over. It's getting there, but even the light snow on West Lomond looked the part: Then home fo

Best snow in years ? 2 1/2 inches before the met office issue a weather warning LOL a light cover at 7am started proper at 9 and still going, just about.

Strange weather here sleety rain and at times snow but general slow thaw before temperatures finally dropping this afternoon with snow setting in. First picture shows plenty of water funnelling down A

Posted Images

Had a covering earlier but was too early to get both eyes open to operate phone for a pic. Now raining. Pretty poor for March. Normally delivers at some point. 

• Like 3

Torrential rain here at the minute - can only imagine the surrounding hills are getting plastered with snow! Be good to actually see them once the low cloud has lifted! 

A standard Scottish Weather week ahead...

D3FE95BA-C28A-4F60-9806-4E05F5FA2068.thumb.png.de7158fcbc3571df03c692ce57d05414.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 5
4 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Torrential rain here at the minute - can only imagine the surrounding hills are getting plastered with snow! Be good to actually see them once the low cloud has lifted! 

A standard Scottish Weather week ahead...

D3FE95BA-C28A-4F60-9806-4E05F5FA2068.thumb.png.de7158fcbc3571df03c692ce57d05414.png

Do you ever charge your phone? ??

• Like 6

In the Cairngorms now with moderate snow blowing with around half inch cover. On way up to Glenshee then stopping night at Braemar, Will posts some pics later.

• Like 8

Temp up to 2.1/1.9°C now after a good inch of lying snow. Still coming down very heavily in showers and valley completely disappears in a fog of blowing snow, but blue sky between. 

Wish I had the forward planning of @mardatha and @snowyqueen to get the panic buying into the cupboard as now I have to go to the supermarket. 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Getting windy again with some sharp gusts, spitting with rain and just a heavy grey sky. Jaffa cakesy I wrote jaffa cakesy! weather.

Steady rain now with occasional splats of sleet at 3C. My sort of weather. Not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Heading up to Glenshee now. Some nice sunny spells so far but snow showers on there way looking at radar.

Edit- Snow just started.

IMG_20190310_134227.thumb.jpg.0ec14d688c17c2abbc3d24b879d9b563.jpgIMG_20190310_135010.thumb.jpg.27e15c1de43212773f58dd1274214698.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

We had some snow but it didn't come to much. The snow line is a little above the height I am at, as can be seen if you squint at this picture. Look in the top left behind this well flowered field of oilseed rape beside my house:

20190310_134159.thumb.jpg.b1b22cb3827e0071a102e74bb60e45d1.jpg

• Like 4

Did it snow here in Kirkcaldy?  >DVPLQzpXcAASFEO.jpg some flakes were mixing in but it was hardly worth calling it wet snow or even sleet ? currently 3.8 C / DP 2.0 C and another shower of rain moving in. 

4 hours ago, 101_North said:

Typical frontal situation here to be fair. Very rarely delivers and I'm annoyed at myself for thinking it might ?

Yes give me a kind reminder next time to not get my hopes up that way I can avoid the disappointment of seeing the ground being wet rather than white :oldgood:

2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Drizzly, grey, damp, cold pish! Had enough now ??

?  ❄️ ?️ ? :wallbash:

Good to see that some places did get snow and loving all the snowy pics :oldgrin:

• Like 4

A bit of blue sky in the middle of the day but a very stormy looking sky  started to roll in from the west about an hour ago so its now very windy and dark with bursts of wet  snow at 3c.

Sky to the south and west just looks full of snow.

• Like 2

Been showing here for about the last 15 to 20 mins, big, slow, deliberate flakes. Not really lying though despite our higher altitude. Feels bitter the few times I've ventured out to the garage, so I wasn't hanging about.

• Like 3

0.4°C and heavy snow for !last hour. Everything lovely and covered, even between the cottage and garage that's basically a quagmire.

Best snow of the winter (in spring!). Morning gonna be interesting.

• Like 8

Showers coming through are now solidly snow from start to finish. Just need something a little more prolonged and it should readily lie.

Current lamppost shot.

IMG_5247.thumb.JPG.9ae7ee1bbe859f3252b0a7b4b72d79c2.JPG

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 7
11 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Showers coming through are now solidly snow from start to finish. Just need something a little more prolonged and it should readily lie.

Current lamppost shot.

IMG_5247.thumb.JPG.9ae7ee1bbe859f3252b0a7b4b72d79c2.JPG

M77 looks very snowy, looks good for Ayrshire (away from the coast) to end up with a covering of snow at least tonight given the radar. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Developing a covering on the cars, driveway, etc. Can't really see beyond that as only the garage light to go by, the rest is pitch black. Wind seems to have got stronger again by the sounds if it. Be disappointed now if I don't wake up to something white. 

• Like 6