Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Phew, had to open the windows at work this afternoon as it was sweltering inside. As others have said, just doesn't feel right, and difficult to believe it's still not even past Feb yet. 

• Like 4

Quite a day all round, but I didn’t realise it was this mild! Wish I’d been in Altnaharra! 😂

42D266FA-0CC1-4591-A912-1A6713524570.png

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Quite a day all round, but I didn’t realise it was this mild! Wish I’d been in Altnaharra! 😂

42D266FA-0CC1-4591-A912-1A6713524570.png

looks like the official high temp for Altnaharra today was 16.4 C https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/gfkgdgj2j  https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/daily-top-20/maxt on the Altnaharra wiki page it says the record high for February is / was 13.6 C but I am not sure how up to date / correct that is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altnaharra 

edit - yes the record was broken 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 2

18+degC at home this afternoon. Scottish record broken. Only seems like a few days since the last of the large snowman in the back garden melted. Enjoying the early warmth while we have it. Not removing the winter wheels yet though. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was an amazing day in Edinburgh, felt like late spring.

Today seems very different, the sky is completely grey and the wind is howling :(

• Like 1

No wind here yet and there was another colourful sunrise. Looks like a bit of a nothing day coming up so just as well I have plenty to keep me from writing mischief. 🤓

• Like 1

Howling wind here too not much sleep last night.Currently overcast and 11c

• Like 1

It's been warmer in parts of Scotland than here in London

• Like 1

Not far off equaling yesterdays high of 14.6 C here with today's high so far 14.4 C, currently 13.2 C and pressure 1029.74 hPa with cloudy skies 

still hoping that something like this can develop during March and provide something of a more wintry flavour

anim_zdi7.thumb.gif.5ecd8183615f567fac565fe114c837f9.gifgens-5-1-360.thumb.png.6f7304409ddab65b7029f14767c22ee2.pnggens-7-1-312.thumb.png.3b639faafcd92693d60bc46abe93fbcb.pnggensnh-1-1-384.thumb.png.fd445504afb6a12e430e301fb2c48802.pnggens-15-1-300.thumb.png.878e5fccba386652b5ce96e00312246b.pnggens-15-1-348.thumb.png.a0ddb6d982327af21ca633093644a0e0.png     

• Like 5

My car thermometer was claiming 18C on the motorway in Glasgow 😮

• Like 1

It's shorts and short sleeves for me today. Very warm. Hope it won't last long and I'm back in my thermals early March. Still a good 8 weeks left for us to see some action. Mon the Snaw come back we miss you..😂

• Like 1

It's the 22nd of February. Someone has broken the weather.

Hope this isnae our summer...

IMG_20190222_1359289.jpg

• Like 7

Models have been consistently showing a low jet stream in the long term. If that does indeed develop, then we could see a return to more wintry conditions with snow and sleet down to low levels at times, but mainly in western areas. 

Should the jet stream stay high, then no snow and lots of rain for the whole of Scotland. 

An initial south-westerly mild and wet spell as the HP collapses, followed by cooler W-NW currents (with chances for snow) seems to be the most likely scenario at the moment.

Personally I can't see any beasts from the east this year, but winter may not be over

Edited by edinburgh_1992
  • Like 3

Balmy gain today in NE Fife, 15c at Leuchars in very light winds. Last few days of meteorological winter look certain to remain mild....then we’ll see what spring brings!

• Like 5

Just been outside and it is still very windy  also amazingly warm at 14.5c.

Because of the wind passenger aircraft are coming right over us to land at Inverness  airport nearly every half hour a big diffrence from my chilhood when it  was  only the odd  military aircraft primarily the Shackletons from Kinloss.

• Like 4

It's suddenly gone very spookily quiet. Have you all been wiped oot by a tornado that missed me? 🤪

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mardatha said:

It's suddenly gone very spookily quiet. Have you all been wiped oot by a tornado that missed me? 🤪

We just died of boredom...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind a heatwave - but I havent even got that! I've got cloudy with hazy sunshine. Which I suppose is better than horizontal sleet..

• Like 4

Just now, mardatha said:

I don't mind a heatwave - but I havent even got that! I've got cloudy with hazy sunshine. Which I suppose is better than horizontal sleet..

Yeah. We have mildiness. 'Pint of mild please' - you don't hear that any more! The chances of anything wintry appear to have vanished till May.

• Like 4

Yes a very mild night but we still have the wind which has howled round the house all night. Not easy to sleep never thought I would say that in February. Currently  13.5c

• Like 4

Lovely sunrise today from the kitchen window.

C12FB80E-D801-4BEA-983D-5E8926984CCF.thumb.png.bcc23044128bb566a90a63c9c1c2583e.png

Travelling to Aviemore later for a few days - great weather for it! (Would have preferred snow!!!! ☹️)

Have a good weekend all. ☀️

• Like 4

I follow quite a few Italian weather Facebook pages as I love Italy and the weather and Italy has the best weather in Europe. The following is a Google translation of a weather report from the far NW of Italy (Verbania-Cusio-Ossola). They have had an extremely dry winter with very little snow even on the high mountains. This area includes Monte Rosa which is 4,634m.

In contrast areas further south in Italy have had a lot of snow at altitude with Mt Etna on Sicily getting in on the snow action too.

The NW of Italy has also been experiencing extreme temperatures in the past few days with a very early first 20C and an ultra-early 25C. Usually it's April or May before they hit 25C.  

The combined effect of two meteorological actions on 22 February recorded record temperatures. The two systems, subtropical hot air in the lower strata and arctic air in altitude from the north east, have meant that, as often happens, the temperatures produced are added up. In Verbano Cusio Ossola the highest maximum temperature values were registered in Candoglia and Domodossola with + 25.8 ° C the first and 25.6 ° C the second at Domodossola Loc. Nosere. ADVERTISING In Gravellona Toce, the thermometer rose to 21.8 ° C, which is the new record since 2013, one of the climate control posts to monitor climate trends. As you will notice in the image above each event is cataloged with the type of synoptic configuration, ie what type of air mass produced the first exceeding of <20 ° C annually. The first climate barrier has been knocked down, the next is the exceeding of <25 ° C that usually occurs between April and May, but attention this first part of 2019 could be full of new records with positive thermal anomalies, in fact in the coming days the temperatures will rise again vertiginously and probably will go further and widely 25 ° C, between Wednesday and Thursday. Chapter rains, average fallen only 30/50 mm from November 24, little snow in the mountains, if things do not change in May, when the streams are swollen by the meltdown of the snows not exposed, this may not happen, with a potential crisis unprecedented water. The arrival of rains is very unlikely for the rest of the month of February, possibilities relegated to the first ten days of March.

I'd happily go and live in Italy. The weather is epic and the landscapes are epic, it's like Scotland on steroids.

• Like 9

O god Catch stoppit. I think I#'m goin to cry now. I want something warmer than here. Getting old and past it!

• Like 3

I saw a Met Office tweet stating that there was a 17C difference between Altbea at 16C this morning and Usk, South Wales at -1C. Same report stated that Parts of NW Scotland did not go down below 14C last night.

Here is the link. 

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1